1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Is it worth changing url's?

I started my website quite awhile ago. At that time I found several keyphrases that related to my website theme. I gave each keyphrase its own webpage, then optimised the webpage for that keyphrase.

Since then I learned more about picking keyphrases. I've found much better keyphrases that are similar to the ones I used originally and I want to optimise my existing content for the new phrases.

Here is my problem. My current url's include the old keyphrases. I dont know how much weight google puts on the url. I know the title tag is very important, but thats easily changed.

Does it help serp's if exact keyphrases are in the url?

Thanks
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

I'd like other opinions on this, but I believe the effect will be minimal. Changing your URL yields the most benefit whenever you're eliminating query strings. Anchor text from authoritative pages for your desired keywords will help the page rank higher than changing the URL.

However, if the keywords in the URL are now completely irrelevant to the new content, you should change the URL in order to prevent confusion.

Comments on this post

• Jesus Nofollow agrees
  5. SEO Consultant
    SEO Chat High Scholar (3500 - 3999 posts)

How old is the previous domain? I would keep the established URL and domain rather than trying to rank a new one. OR, buy the second one and do a 301... or vice versa..
    www.joshz.net - SEO Web Design | On-Page SEO | SEO Audits & Reports | Link Building
    BASED IN ATLANTA, GA. Contact: Skype/Phone/Email (Discounted rates available for SEOChat members only - email josh@joshz.net)
    Please EMAIL me at the above address and do not send Private Messages. I rarely check them and your message will be lost.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by joshz
    How old is the previous domain? I would keep the established URL and domain rather than trying to rank a new one. OR, buy the second one and do a 301... or vice versa..
    I don't think he's talking about changing domains (correct me if I'm wrong draft34)

I think he's talking about the benefit of changing

domain.com/old-keywords.html

to

domain.com/better-keywords.html

Maybe he should 301 to the better-keywords URL, I'm really not sure. I'm just guessing (yes, guessing) that it would be better to keep the old URL unless the keywords the OP wants to use are drastically different.
  9. SEO Consultant
    SEO Chat High Scholar (3500 - 3999 posts)

Originally Posted by SEOTyler
    I don't think he's talking about changing domains (correct me if I'm wrong draft34)

to

Maybe he should 301 to the better-keywords URL, I'm really not sure. I'm just guessing (yes, guessing) that it would be better to keep the old URL unless the keywords the OP wants to use are drastically different.
    Ah, my bad. I misread that. Yeah, either case a 301 should be the easiest and best solution if he wanted to change the urls, no questions asked.
  11. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Originally Posted by SEOTyler

to

This is exactly what Im talking about. I should have included an example like this with my question.
  13. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

For an existing site, changing the url's is not something I recommend, unless there is a major canonicalization problem or only dynamic variables (3+).

Good permanent rankings will fluctuate, 301s will diminish original page authority, and Google "already knows" your structure and keyword targetting, before you added the keyword in the url.

Comments on this post

• fourgee agrees
    • eddyf agrees : Yep - Google already knows what your page is about from the content. They don't need any hints from the URL. Unless the page topic has totally changed, I'd leave it alone.
    • Skinny Vinny agrees

Following these recommendations should increase the likelihood that your site will show up consistently in the search results.
  15. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

North East Ohio & Central/Western Pennsylvania
    It's a bad idea. You lose value in the redirect, and the page is suddenly 'new' again. If you change those urls, it's a new page to google. All to stuff key phrase in url? It doesn't change the anchor text of your established inbound links. You're just going to shake the tree for no good reason.

The fact that the key phrase is in the url isn't going to be some instant fix. Changing the url isn't going to suddenly redefine what google sees as your relevant keywords.

The advantage of using these kinds of urls is when other users drop your url into apps that automatically links urls like many blog, cms, and forums apps do. You're making the url the anchor text of that link. That's it. There's really not much other benefit you'll see from that url string. Just stuffing keywords and phrases into your urls is not going to improve seo by itself.

In your case, create new content optimized for those new key phrases and promote them. Leave the pages that are already optimized for other phrases alone.

If it's not broken...
    imho.

Comments on this post

• Jesus Nofollow agrees