1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Worpress's default page heading behaviour

With Wordpress, load up any standard theme and go to any post/page and the page title will be a link wrapped in a h1.

So what happens with the link juice on this page?

Does Google see this as extra weight for the page/post we are on or are we loosing 25% of the linking power because this self link Google is just ignoring?
  3. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

That link counts the same as any other link on the page, where link juice is concerned....
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

So since posting I have done a little research and what I'm talking about is a self referring link.

So lets say I have a self referring link and one other link (very boring site.)

50% of the link juice being passed will go to the 'non self referring link' but does the self referring link juice get added to the page or get lost?

I have read with forms and # links that Google just leaks the juice it would have passed if it was a 'proper link'. Just wondering what happens with a self referring link.
  7. No Profile Picture

If there are 10 links total on the page, including the self referring link. Lets also say for example this page has a pr of 2.

The links consist of 5 in the navigation, and 4 in the footer and 1 self referring link. Total links are 10

So 2 / 10 = .2 , so the self referring link accounts for .2 of the link juice of the page. What this means is that the most juice any link could pass on would be .2 of its pr. Its up to you as to where you point the links to.

Menu navigation, body contextual links or even self-referring ....they all count towards the total links on the page. Even no follow links on this page count towards this... for example. 5 links in the navigation, 4 no follow links in the footer and 1 self-referring link, still adds up to 10 links, and the most juice any link could pass would be .2. Understand none of the no follow links will not pass juice but it will not save any juice and give it to any other links nether.
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

So this could have two effects... (using the maths from above)

1) if Google does not add the .2 back into the self referring page, this equates to .2 being leaked. (10 links on page draining .2 each but only 9 seeing a benefit, the 10th one is a SRL and its juice is leaked.)
    2) Google add the .2 into the self referring page and gives a slight boast...

My gut feeling is that a self referring link is a bit 'spammy' and therefore I assume Google is doing 1)

Just testing on a few pages to see what happens.
  11. No Profile Picture

You can not save PR nor can you give PR juice to the same page as the link appears on... meaning... a SRL will not pass any juice to the page. It will however help with SEO. Breadcrumbs and SRL's are basically the same thing in that respect, the following is just for example purposes only.

SeoChat > Forums > Worpress's default page heading behaviour

seochat would link to http://seochat.com

forums would link to http://forums.seochat.com/google-optimization-7/worpresss-default-page-heading-behaviour-492987.html#post1212186

Worpress's default page heading behaviour
    this part would not be linked to anything.....