1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Wordpress Subpage better SERP then homepage for main keyword ! Help (Url canibalize)

Hello all SEO lovers out there ! Counting on you to troubleshoot an issue which I've been researching for a whole day but am not really sure how to fix.
    So, I have this wordpress website oportosurfhouse (google it it s com domain)
    Currently the main targetted keyword is surfcamp portugal.

The problem is when googling for the keyword the first page that appears is a sub url of the page oportosurfhouse*com/surfcampportugal but I'd rather have the homepage oportosurfhouse*com showing up.

Funny thing is, i checked the optimization on both pages and the main page was much more optimized to that keyword then the subpage, so I guess only the url played a difference here.

Now I've just changed the oportosurfhouse.com/surfcampportugal to same content as homepage, but before it was another page with less optimization for "surfcamp portugal" keyword.

So my question is, how could I fix this issue and possibly maintain the same search rank (#22 in google.pt) but make it show the homepage instead of subpage ?

Is a 301 redirect the right thing to do here, redirecting subpage to homepage? If I do so, will it return the homepage in google search?

Thanks all
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Originally Posted by seeyoo
    Hello all SEO lovers out there ! Counting on you to troubleshoot an issue which I've been researching for a whole day but am not really sure how to fix.
    So, I have this wordpress website oportosurfhouse (google it it s com domain)
    Currently the main targetted keyword is surfcamp portugal.

The problem is when googling for the keyword the first page that appears is a sub url of the page oportosurfhouse*com/surfcampportugal but I'd rather have the homepage oportosurfhouse*com showing up.

Funny thing is, i checked the optimization on both pages and the main page was much more optimized to that keyword then the subpage, so I guess only the url played a difference here.

Now I've just changed the oportosurfhouse.com/surfcampportugal to same content as homepage, but before it was another page with less optimization for "surfcamp portugal" keyword.

So my question is, how could I fix this issue and possibly maintain the same search rank (#22 in google.pt) but make it show the homepage instead of subpage ?

Is a 301 redirect the right thing to do here, redirecting subpage to homepage? If I do so, will it return the homepage in google search?

Thanks all
    If we take this logically, in google's eye, your inner page is a better candidate than your home page for the keyword, which did not surprise me at all.

One of the trends in Google's ranking algo is that ever since Google started to shift weight from page authority to site authority, inner pages have a better chance to rank than they did before (please don't misinterpret here, I am not saying that inner page always rank better than home page).

The reason for your inner page to rank better for your home page is more than just about keywords, it is also about your site navigation, internal links, amongst many other factors. Having such a URL makes me feel that your inner page is dedicated to this key term, and your home page probably covers, or should cover more than just that. If surf Pg is the only product/service your site is about, then your home page still probably covers your brand, and other things about your business, while your inner page is dedicated to surf pg. For example, your home page probably has a link to the inner page with that keyword. What does this say?

I don't see why you must have your home page to rank for the keyword. Your inner page probably works better in terms of conversion.