1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Wordpress SEO for Google - Old site into new site

Not sure whether this should have gone in blog section as it relates to converting our current site to wordpress.

Trying to convert existing site into Wordpress, am I right in thinking that if I 301 redirect old url's into new structure I will suffer a loss of link juice?

If so, and 301 redirects are best avoided if possible any ideas on how to hack the url structure to reflect what we already have?
    (Extensions on current site url's end in .htm which is my problem)

Any help would be appreciated as web designer who was doing this for us seems to have a done a runner with our money and is un-contactable.
  3. Digital Marketing
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Originally Posted by TedWestie
    Not sure whether this should have gone in blog section as it relates to converting our current site to wordpress.

Trying to convert existing site into Wordpress, am I right in thinking that if I 301 redirect old url's into new structure I will suffer a loss of link juice?

If so, and 301 redirects are best avoided if possible any ideas on how to hack the url structure to reflect what we already have?
    (Extensions on current site url's end in .htm which is my problem)

Any help would be appreciated as web designer who was doing this for us seems to have a done a runner with our money and is un-contactable.
    Sorry to hear of your issue with the MIA web dev. I have a plug-in that you can use for wordpress that allows you keep your old extensions. Probably not necessary though as the loss through a 301 is minor.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by KernelPanic
    Sorry to hear of your issue with the MIA web dev. I have a plug-in that you can use for wordpress that allows you keep your old extensions. Probably not necessary though as the loss through a 301 is minor.
    Doesn't it devalue it further over time - I was watching a Matt Cutts vid last night you see......

Bit worried that I'll 301 everything and massively lose my rankings!

For a high repped SEO'er like yourself (I follow all your posts Kernel - I'm your cyber stalker!) it may not be a problem as you can go and source links, to me it's more like Arghhhhh! lol

Whats the plugin btw if you don't mind me asking?

(Missing web dev is not so much the problem, more worried about trying to get our 500 deposit back)
  7. Poker Chick
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

Yes KP, share. Didn't know there was such a thing.
    Frankly, I wonder who Frank is and why he has his own adverb.
  9. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Originally Posted by KernelPanic
    Im going through the same problem and would benefit from this also. Could you let me know what the plug in is called and how we can get hold of it? Also can it be used to remove /folder/ out of urls as well as remove extensions?
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Not sure if it's the plug in that KP mentioned but I found this

http://www.daddydesign.com/wordpress/page-extension-wordpress-plugin/

and it seems to work!
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

converting site into wordpress

let me explain this. please memorise this everyone. this ine coming from my experience.

domain name- example.com
    PR as on on june- 1
    ranking in serp- 4 keywords on 1st page

in july thought of changing site struture to wordpress. did redirest 301 for all the url.

after august PR update.

pr for main domain example.com was PR 3. rest of other url showed as pr 0. but still the ranking for those 4 keywords were there among top 10.but for older url.

hope people can understand now by above facts.
  15. SEO Consultant
    SEO Chat High Scholar (3500 - 3999 posts)

Originally Posted by grgmathew
    let me explain this. please memorise this everyone. this ine coming from my experience.

domain name- example.com
    PR as on on june- 1
    ranking in serp- 4 keywords on 1st page

in july thought of changing site struture to wordpress. did redirest 301 for all the url.

after august PR update.

pr for main domain example.com was PR 3. rest of other url showed as pr 0. but still the ranking for those 4 keywords were there among top 10.but for older url.

hope people can understand now by above facts.
    You won't see the PR change until there is a (toolbar) PageRank update. As long as you did proper 301's you should be fine. Just give it time and work on a few links.
    www.joshz.net - SEO Web Design | On-Page SEO | SEO Audits & Reports | Link Building
    BASED IN ATLANTA, GA. Contact: Skype/Phone/Email (Discounted rates available for SEOChat members only - email josh@joshz.net)
    Please EMAIL me at the above address and do not send Private Messages. I rarely check them and your message will be lost.