Thread: Word count

1. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Word count

Hello,

I read somewhere that you should preferably have at least 200 words in a page in order to please Google. My questions are:
    1- is there some kind of generally agreed by the seo community optimal word count range?
    2- in particular for the max; for example, say I have a page with 1,000 words; I get new ideas and can make it 1,500 words; it is better to create 2 pages?
    3- and if yes what it the threshold where you feel your pages are getting too long?

ps: I searched this forum for the exact title above and there is only one thread from 2004
  3. No Profile Picture
    Banned
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

One of the top links for SEO has 7,000 words:
    http://www.bruceclay.com/web_rank.htm

That just about shots any maximum word theory.
  5. Contributing User

ok,

but one tree does not make a forest;
    Last edited by Poker-Table; Dec 9th, 2008 at 01:14 PM.
  7. SEO Consultant
    SEO Chat Genius (4000 - 4499 posts)

1- is there some kind of generally agreed by the seo community optimal word count range?
    Not really although typical advice is around the 400 words plus to make a decent content page.
    The fundamental thing is that you should make pages for readers not search engines.
    If it is relevant and useful, put it in the page, if it isn't don't bother!

2- in particular for the max; for example, say I have a page with 1,000 words; I get new ideas and can make it 1,500 words; it is better to create 2 pages?
    If it is relevant keep it on the same page, if it forms a new topic or a sub topic then create a new page. Long Tail keywords will often help you identify which new pages should be created within the theme of your site.

3- and if yes what it the threshold where you feel your pages are getting too long?
    The answer is no.

3/ your page size cannot be huge for loading reasons; hence someone shot his own foot.
    Somebody didn't shoot them selves in the foot. In an ASCII text file (which a web page is) 1 character represents 1 byte (or 8 bits) of information so 7,000 words represents just 7Kb which is very small for data transfer across the web. Most images are much higher than that.

There used to be a cache clipping limit of 100Kb but that is not in place any more.

The moral is write the content that is relevant and useful to your users.

If you have to write an essay instead of a paragraph (something I seem to do too often) then thats what you have to do to get your point across.
  9. Smoke me a kipper...
    SEO Chat Hero (2000 - 2499 posts)

No, there's no "one size fits all" ideal word count. Pages can rank #1 with just a single word on the page, and likewise for pages with thousands of words (look at many of the larger Wikipedia entries as an example).

Rather than basing when a page should be split on an arbitrary number, look instead at the content itself. Are their natural sections to it, each of which can stand alone as an individual page. Bearing in mind the value of having keywords in the page title, it can often make sense to split an article up, so that each section targets its own keywords rather than trying to make the whole article rank for multiple terms on a single page.

Then of course there's the users. Is it easier for them to split it into sections, or have it all as one page? Would it make sense as a single article or multiple smaller articles?
    ... I'll be back for breakfast
    New to SEO? SEOChat SEO FAQs
    Forum Rules and Posting Guidelines
    URL canonicalization code solutions
    Vigorously pursuing the floccinaucinihilipilification of cheap SEO tricks
  11. B afraid.. B very afraid!
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Land of enchantment... deserts of the Southwest
    Check out the word count at live.com and google.com for a minimalist approach... Then check any Wikipedia page for a larger approach.

Bottomline: Give your users what they will link to and/or purchase from. STOP worrying about the search engines. Creat content, of any number of words, that attracts links and sales.

Comments on this post

• StartRankingNow agrees
    ...Never mistake activity for achievement...

...Wise men don't need advice. Fools won't take it....
    Benjamin Franklin
  13. Contributing User

thank you all for the great responses.

for info, I am not worrying about anything, just learning the ropes.
  15. Joe

I'd go with what the guys are saying, there's no optimum number of words, and to make sure your content is great over anything else.

Alot of newspaper sites which rank well have alot of text and they scroll for what seems like forever.

Cheers Joe