1. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Arrow Will Google ever change back to the times...

... where there was no sandbox?

Simple question... What do you guys think?
  3. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Genius (4000 - 4499 posts)

The "sandbox" is still very speculatory but I remember back in the day before the "sandbox" (pre Nov 16th 2003 aka Florida) when it took a site 4 to 6 months to rank because you had to get indexed, get backlinks, get PR, wait for a Google Dance and tweak for a few months before you ranked well.

Ohh wait that kinda sounds like a sandbox....Hmm could it have always been around?? ;)
    -PK
  5. Contributing User

Cool

No! When the bank account is to full

the hunger to succeed and be the best goes away.
  7. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

9. SEO Chat Skiller (1500 - 1999 posts)

PK,

I think you're over-simplifying. SEO for Google prior to sandbox era was very much like SEO for Yahoo!, Teoma, MSN Beta is now. Competitive, yes, 3-4 months to achieve good rankings? absolutely. But Google's new algo element has shut down even some of the very best SEOs for great sites.

Back to the original topic - I believe Google will eventually release some elements of the penalization or devaluation element they currently have in place. I think the datacenter release two weekends ago was evidence of this and if they think they can do it without releasing a flood of spam into the SERPs, they will do it. I don't know how long it might take, however - could be upwards of 6 months from now or more.
    In the meantime, I encourage all of us to embrace other search engines - if Google continues to lag competitively (as they lost share for the first time last quarter) I suspect they will come around on what we call the sandbox issue, but might equally be called a lack of fresh content in the SERPs.
    CEO & Co-founder of SEOmoz
  11. Contributing User

But Google's new algo element has shut down even some of the very best SEOs for great sites.
    I see the "sandbox" as nothing more or different than how we SEOd for Google years ago. I think people got used to the idea of getting results and good SERPs in a matter of days with everflux without working on it for a few months. Devalued??? Of course because new sites shouldnt be #1 as soon as they get indexed.
  13. No Profile Picture
    I'm in supplementary hell

I think G will continue to lose MS

As a user I continually find it harder to find stuff

On Y and M$, even if sites are well seo'd (rather than spam) these are usually site of dedication from most webmasters and DO have what you want

Now , if they can filter out all the "me too" espotting directories they will have outstanding serps
  15. Contributing User

Originally Posted by pk_synths
    The "sandbox" is still very speculatory but I remember back in the day before the "sandbox" (pre Nov 16th 2003 aka Florida) when it took a site 4 to 6 months to rank because you had to get indexed, get backlinks, get PR, wait for a Google Dance and tweak for a few months before you ranked well.

Ohh wait that kinda sounds like a sandbox....Hmm could it have always been around?? ;)
    I don't really care if you think there is a so-called sandbox or not...
    all I know is that all of the sudden it is impossible to gain ranks on so-called money terms with BRANDNEW domains.
    Before the "sandbox" it was very easily possible to go... register a new domain... add content.. add links and gain top spots...
    this is now impossible.

If you think there is no such thing as a sandbox, then prove me wrong.
  17. Contributing User

Originally Posted by gchaney
    As always randfish, a very good observation. I believe Google will undo the SEO filter as soon as Yahoo and the New MSN really start hurting them. This filter/algorithum move by Google frankly was arrogant, and they are starting to, and deserve to, pay the price for it. They'll come around to our way of thinking. Agree with it or not, they have hurt many, many site owners and businesses with this arrogance over the last 13 months.

As far as being #1, all sites deserve to have the opportunity to achieve that coveted position regardless of age. Except at the moment in Google. Achieving that coveted #1 spot requires factors within our control, except in Google. If a site does not deserve to be #1, the owners of the sites below them will see to it the new site does not retain the position using tools and methods within the control of the sites/seo's/owners...except in Google.

You see PK, the great thing about the new MSN and Yahoo, as a site owner, or SEO, no matter how old your site is, you have a say in the quality of the serps in who you link to, how you optimize your site etc.

Google has decided to take that away from you and I, whether SEO's or humble site owners. Google has decided if you use a certain methology for attaining relevance, popularity and rankings, well, you simply won't rank. End of story. My analysis, is mine, but I have done my own cause and affect research using several domains I own, like many others here. Mine most certainly was not of the quality or detail of Randfish, but I am a smart boy and can read between the lines.

So the bottom line is, if you're supporting Google at the moment, well, you are supporting the subversion of a democratic algroithum that has applied the principles of dictatorship. This is not good in any environment, much less to the search industry.

Cheers!
    very well said. Everything said shows that you completely understood what is happening right now... even though to my mind the last passage is a little too hard to my mind
  19. Contributing User

They'll come around to our way of thinking.
    Why would or should they? Just because webmasters dont like results than all of a sudden Google is evil and Yahoo! rocks. Well IMO Yahoo! blows because I dont get as much traffic from them as I get from Google. How is that for an ignorant biased opinion?? ;)

I dont have any problems with Google and people saying that Google doesn't have "factors within our control" just arent looking hard enough. There are many controllable factors that work well with Google.

Yes webmasters did get hurt and many people lost their companies (I lost mine during the Bubble Burt of 2000/2001) but Google isnt there to employ anyone. If Google doesnt like something than adapt but dont be bitter because Google is giving you another revenue stream. If Google actually did everything to please everyone than they would never grow as a company and would be held back by people that "like things the way they are". That leads to laziness which leads to nowhere.

if you're supporting Google at the moment, well, you are supporting the subversion of a democratic algroithum that has applied the principles of dictatorship.
    It's a company and they are going to do what they please but that statement was a bit hard to swallow.
  21. Contributing User

this is getting a bit off-topic here...
    this thread was not about "evil google"

it was about a strong sandbox, site age, call-it-how-you-want filter and the question if people over here think if/when G might loosen it a bit.