1. Anand Mistry
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Will It Advisable to Remove Indexed Web Pages from Google Search Result?

I am going to make live new web pages in website.

I want to remove entire old web pages exclude home page from web site. Because, I have developed entire new web pages with new design & concept.

Right now, 40+ web pages are indexed in Google. I don't want to set 301 redirection from old web pages to home page or associated web pages.

I am going to set custom 404 error for my old web pages. In future, If old web pages will get traffic any how so, 404 detect & redirect to custom 404 page.

Today, I read one Google help article & will take help of Google webmaster tools to get it done Read Article

But, I am little bit confuse with current organic ranking. My website is not on top 10 with targeted keywords. But, appear on 122 rank with target keyword.

If I will go forward with above practice so, will it affect my current organic ranking or not?

I need best practice to handle situation during this kind of situation.
  3. Busting SEOChat Spammers!
    SEO Chat High Scholar (3500 - 3999 posts)

So you have designed and made a new site (still to put live) but... is the subject the same so its just a change in design, layout, urls and content or what?

I cant understand why you wouldn't want to 301 your old page to keep some link juice and authority if they have any, unless you was changing the subject of the site. That would be the only reason for me to do it how you have explained above.
    New To SEOChat? See Here & the FAQ's

"stupid people say stupid things, and smart people out smart each other!" SOAD
    301 Redirects | SEO Tools | Default htaccess | CuteRank
  5. Anand Mistry
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Originally Posted by NathanielB
    So you have designed and made a new site (still to put live) but... is the subject the same so its just a change in design, layout, urls and content or what?

I cant understand why you wouldn't want to 301 your old page to keep some link juice and authority if they have any, unless you was changing the subject of the site. That would be the only reason for me to do it how you have explained above.
    Yes, I am going to develop new web pages with new design and content. My website have same concept.

For example:

Old URL
    www.xyz.com/product007.html

New Web Page
    www.xyz.com/category/product007.html

Now, product should be same on both page but, entire design, content and so and so will change....Not 1% similar to old one...

So, now what??
  7. No Profile Picture
    Digital Marketing Guru
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

The question is - do you want to keep the rankings?

Because if you do the 404 thing, that will either result in your 404 ranking or you loosing all of your existing rank.

The best way here would be a 301 or playing/reading around with Google Webmaster Tools (which coincidentally recommend 301's).

The other tactic you could try is leaving the existing pages live and put canonical tags on them until they change to the new versions in the rankings.

Hope this helps.

-Henry.
  9. Busting SEOChat Spammers!
    SEO Chat High Scholar (3500 - 3999 posts)

Originally Posted by khushimistry
    Yes, I am going to develop new web pages with new design and content. My website have same concept.

For example:

Old URL
    www.xyz.com/product007.html

New Web Page
    www.xyz.com/category/product007.html

Now, product should be same on both page but, entire design, content and so and so will change....Not 1% similar to old one...

So, now what??
    Same product jsut a new design and new product description etc right? So I would personally redirect all the pages I care about so not to lose anything in terms of seo work already done.