1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

wich url formula is better?

wich url formula is better?
    /keywords.html , /keywords or /keywords/
    also, is - the best for keywords separation?
    what do you think?
    thank you!
  3. SEO Consultant
    SEO Chat Genius (4000 - 4499 posts)

There isn't really a best URL format now. If its a valid URL and it returns the same HTML then its pretty even. It is generally good practice to keep things on a higher level directory. When it is appropriate to use directorys for specific categories then that makes sense, otherwise stick to a top level directory structure.

Using a minus sign - or dash as a separator used to considered better. The reason for this is that a - is an operator where as an _ underscore is another standard ASCII character just like a,b or c. It used to be the case that a - helped search engines determine keywords in strings, however nowadays search engines are very good at extracting keywords out of strings. I still like to use - to separate keywords but there is little practical difference today IMO.
  5. rod@missionop.com
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

As tstolber suggests there isn't one as the laws of diminishing returns apply.

You can test deep at #900 and gain 50 positions by playing around with URLs but you don't get meaningful traffic that far down. In the top 30 positions it won't make a single bit of difference to gain even one position.

Someone I'm sure will argument "if all other things are equal"... it doesn't apply here. If the PREFECT URL made the difference in the top 30 positions all 30 listings would jump around like kangaroos in heat!

One minutes you'd be #1, the next #30, the next #15... results would be so unstable you'll need to advertise on bus benches to make a buck.
  7. rod@missionop.com

Originally Posted by Hemanth Malli
    Hai Friend,

I always follow these URL writing rules:

1. Always use lowercase.
    2. Always use a hyphen or dash to separate words and never use underscores or spaces.
    3. Always use keywords throughout the entire URL and never use mixture of numbers and alphabets (eg: /114/cat223/).
    4. Avoid Duplication in the URL.
    5. Try to keep your content one to two folder levels deep (3 if absolutely necessary).
    6. Never use special characters (*^!@$).
    What is the impact of these rules?

Can you show any test results?
  9. Busting SEOChat Spammers!
    SEO Chat High Scholar (3500 - 3999 posts)

why not example is my website inverselogix (dot) com
    I followed all the rules as it is. With in the 3 months i got page rank and visitors too.
    For that reason why i mentioned above.
    I ask for some warmer weather last and the sun is out today, does that mean my simply asking for a day of nice weather was the reason for today's sunshine? No!

All of what you put is nice and good practise to do for your visitors and the human eye but it will not make any difference once your in the SERPs which will gain you traffic as said above twice already now!

Don't want to take our word for it? Go and look at some of the urls which Amazon ranks with for example and your sure to find things like b?ie=UTF8&node=514938031 when you search for "laptop pc" which is where you will find that url ranked #5 (this example is on google.co.uk)
    New To SEOChat? See Here & the FAQ's

"stupid people say stupid things, and smart people out smart each other!" SOAD
    301 Redirects | SEO Tools | Default htaccess | CuteRank
  11. Agency SEO

You spelled keyphrase wrong

<meta name="keypharse" content="web design and development, web development, web development florida, web development jacksonville, web development services in jacksonville fl, website design Florida, website design in jacksonville fl, website design jacksonville, website development, website development florida, website development jacksonville, website development services, custom web development, custom web development service, custom website design, florida and usa, custom logo designing in jacksonville fl, banner design, banner designing, internet marketing florida, internet marketing jacksonville, jacksonville fl, search engine optimization, search engine optimization services, seo florida, seo services, seo services florida, seo services jacksonville, smo, smo services, smo services florida, smo services Jacksonville, social media optimization, social media optimization services, professional seo services, professional website designer in jacksonville fl, logo and banner design, logo design, logo designing, Inverselogix – android application development, Inverselogix – blackberry application development, Inverselogix – iPhone application development, android app development, android application developer, android application development, android developers, android mobile application development, blackberry app development, blackberry application developers, blackberry application development, blackberry application development company, blackberry application development in jacksonville fl, iPhone App Development, iPhone Application Developer, iphone application development, iPhone Developers, iPhone Mobile Application Development, mobile application development, mobile application development florida, mobile application development jacksonville, mobile website development"/>

Comments on this post

• dzine agrees : Ouch WTF??? Well, at least it ends in 'arse'.
    • eddyf agrees : I thought you would need a time machine set to 1999 to see a meta like that. Talk about wasted bytes!
    Last edited by KernelPanic; Feb 18th, 2013 at 07:10 AM.
  13. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

A lot has been said already, but it makes no difference mainly due to what you are using to build pages. Wordpress has no tag at the end, some web building software use .html, .php, .xhtml etc etc. It's just an extension or file name.

Hemanth Malli - it's good practice what you mentioned, but it's a very small factor towards getting up and up in search results.
  15. Busting SEOChat Spammers!

Originally Posted by KernelPanic
    You spelled keyphrase wrong

<meta name="keypharse" />
    Wow if you fix that so google knows what that list of spammy keyphrases is for you could rank a thousand times higher in the SERPs, but I guess with the exact right url your already ranked first right?

Sorry for the joke (and no offence intended, just a random Monday joke I guess ), plus I'm sure it use to be name="keywords" not name="keyphrase"

Really though, why are you telling all your competitors the phrases you want to rank for? Google couldn't give a damn, plus google and other search engines are likely to see all that as spam because its far to big IMO.

If you insist in using the keyword meta tag for other search engines etc, you should only put a few important keywords, not spam the hell out of it with everything you can think of under the sun!
  17. rod@missionop.com

why not example is my website inverselogix (dot) com
    I followed all the rules as it is. With in the 3 months i got page rank and visitors too.
    For that reason why i mentioned above.
    So really you just like making **** up and you have no true understanding that any of your suggestions developed anything.

PageRank DOES NOT come from urls.

Visitors may indeed come from search engines but that isn't evidence that your rules turned searchers to patrons.
  19. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

So really you just like making **** up and you have no true understanding that any of your suggestions developed anything
    Anything wrong with following the 6 steps in question?
  21. Contributing User

...Anyway, back to the question at hand.

From experience I would just recommend that leaving off the file extension future-proofs your site a little. For example, I had to upgrade one of my websites from .html to .php and I could have done without having to build all the redirects.

As for a trailing slash or not, I would just say stick with one. Either one, but don't have both. Google now reads these as the same so if you have both you run the risk of duplicate content.

I hope that helps
    Rick
    Like my answer above? I am all over Google+! You may also like my SEO Audit Cheat Sheet.
  23. Busting SEOChat Spammers!

Originally Posted by rickeliason
    ...Anyway, back to the question at hand.

From experience I would just recommend that leaving off the file extension future-proofs your site a little. For example, I had to upgrade one of my websites from .html to .php and I could have done without having to build all the redirects.

As for a trailing slash or not, I would just say stick with one. Either one, but don't have both. Google now reads these as the same so if you have both you run the risk of duplicate content.

I hope that helps
    Rick
    All the redirects? You can fix a change in file extension with a simply line of code in your htaccess so its really not a hard job to do

A trailing slash at the end is meant to show a folder location, for example:
    forums.seochat.com/google-optimization-7/ if your folder and
    forums.seochat.com/google-optimization-7/wich-url-formula-better-465524.html is your file.

As noted, search engines don't care so much these days, but a / at the end of a url generally means its a folder and a url without a / is a file.
  25. Contributing User

Originally Posted by NathanielB
    All the redirects? You can fix a change in file extension with a simply line of code in your htaccess so its really not a hard job to do

A trailing slash at the end is meant to show a folder location, for example:
    forums.seochat.com/google-optimization-7/ if your folder and
    forums.seochat.com/google-optimization-7/wich-url-formula-better-465524.html is your file.

As noted, search engines don't care so much these days, but a / at the end of a url generally means its a folder and a url without a / is a file.
    @NathanielB: Interesting... I have to say I did not know this! I probably should have looked into that first! Now that you mention it, its so obvious.

Am I right in thinking that Google could pick up www.mysite.com/sub-folder and www.mysite.com/sub-folder/ as two seperate URLs and potentially penalize you for dupe content? (basically should I go out of my way to make sure any duplicate instances redirect to one consistent form?)

Thanks
  27. rod@missionop.com

When i said PageRank will come only basing on Urls. I think you didn't understand what i am saying.
    I understood perfectly... you posted in error... I would care not to point that out but since you don't care to point out your error... I must.

asked the suggestions about Url format. Then i gave few points what i know. what's wrong in that.
    PageRank has nothing to do with urls, in and of themselves... unless you say "I point my url to your page and that passes my developed PageRank to you"... that would be a correct statement but isn't helpful to the OP because the format of a url has zero impact of PageRank but therefore you are completely off-topic.
    Last edited by fathom; Feb 19th, 2013 at 08:57 AM.