1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Exclamation Why there are affiliate links at my Organic results?

I was monitoring my GA Organic results and noticed a huge increase at the last 3 days.
    Further examination of this shows that there are dozens of landing page links coming from affiliates sites, at the format of: /?click_idxxxxxx

Although it's fine to have traffic from affiliate sites, as my company is cooperating with such sites, I don't know if it's normal to have them appearing under the Organic channel of the Google Analytics.
    I mean, if a visitor clicked at one of these links while navigating an affiliate site, then it should count as Direct or Referral traffic and not as Organic.

Any ideas?
    Last edited by rastaviper; Oct 29th, 2018 at 08:54 AM.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

-You have to create and group your affiliates in GA otherwise it will show as referral

-Direct is when users type your company URLs
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I don't get your first point. What has to do with what is currently appearing under Organic?

The 2nd point also is not relevant and I know very well what Google says about the Direct channel. But I have 100% confirmed that many visitors are coming through Affiliate sites and they are under the Direct channel.
  7. No Profile Picture

Are those affiliate pages listed in your Google Search Console analytics report if you filter by pages?

Originally Posted by rastaviper
    I don't get your first point. What has to do with what is currently appearing under Organic?

The 2nd point also is not relevant and I know very well what Google says about the Direct channel. But I have 100% confirmed that many visitors are coming through Affiliate sites and they are under the Direct channel.
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

These affiliate links appear as internal pages, in the format of : https://our domain/?click_id=xxxxxxxxx&affiliate_id=xxxxx
    So, there are hundreds of unique url's like this one.

They are NOT visible at GSC.
    Last edited by rastaviper; Oct 30th, 2018 at 07:40 AM.
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

When you get a new affiliates you will have to set up to be treated as affiliate(UTM, link, etc) otherwise GA won´t know

GA categorizes all the traffic source that cannot recognized as Direct so it is the same problem that above

https://support.google.com/analytics.../6205762?hl=en

https://support.google.com/analytics.../3297892?hl=en
    Last edited by universo; Oct 30th, 2018 at 06:25 AM.
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by universo

When you get a new affiliates you will have to set up to be treated as affiliate(UTM, link, etc) otherwise GA won´t know

GA categorizes all the traffic source that cannot recognized as Direct so it is the same problem that above

https://support.google.com/analytics.../6205762?hl=en

https://support.google.com/analytics.../3297892?hl=en

Well, I have no control over affiliate websites, so I cannot ask them to include UTM and other parametres.
    Again, nothing new regarding your comment about Direct channel. You just confirm what I already know.

Do u have anything interesting to share regarding my first question and why the Organic channel is full with affiliate links?
  15. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Do u have anything interesting to share regarding my first question and why the Organic channel is full with affiliate links?
    Probably because some affiliate keywords are showing on search results

You can check where your organic traffic is coming from:

Acquisition > All Traffic> Source/Medium As a Secondary dimension select "Hostname" and you will see where your organic traffic is coming from
    Last edited by universo; Oct 30th, 2018 at 09:57 AM.
  17. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

All of the hostnames are under our domain.

In the meantime, my monthly Organic results are totally screwed, because of this situation.
    In just 5 days that we have received this massive amount of Users from Germany, they count as 50% of the total number of Users of the whole month...

What sort of explanation should I provide now about this? I think Google here is responsible for not being able to identify correctly the traffic.
    Last edited by rastaviper; Oct 31st, 2018 at 02:47 AM.
  19. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by rastaviper
    All of the hostnames are under our domain.

In the meantime, my monthly Organic results are totally screwed, because of this situation.
    In just 5 days that we have received this massive amount of Users from Germany, they count as 50% of the total number of Users of the whole month...

What sort of explanation should I provide now about this? I think Google here is responsible for not being able to identify correctly the traffic.
    You have to find out where the traffic is coming from:

Acquisition > All Traffic>Treemap, choose the organic option. As a secondary dimension select "Full Referrer". You should see your keywords and where the traffic is coming from
  21. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Well it's from Google of course.
    104% up in comparison to last month.