1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Why are splash pages bad? seems like it could be a good idea

this is what im thinking:

the splash page would be full of keywords, and h1's and strong tags. not spam mind you, but a good sumary of your site and what it has to offer.

often times we cant throw h1s around and content gets dilhuted by images, tables, etc. because we want the page to look good.

the splash page has only one outbound link--to the rest of your site perhaps main.htm
    the splash page will have a lot of inbound links from the rest of the site and from other webpages because peole will link to www.yourdomain.com and thus the splash page.

your splash page would get a high PR and once they get to the fast loading splash page hopefully they will click one more time to get to your site.

what are the downsides of this approach? im a noob so perhaps i have my facts incorrect.

thanks
  3. L8r
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

Mainly this:

Originally Posted by sad.machine
    hopefully they will click one more time to get to your site.
  5. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Have you ever seen a top media site use a splash page?

There's a reason why splash pages have gone the way of the dodo bird.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

just because no one uses it, doesnt meant its necessarily bad.

i understand how they might not click again. thats a good point.

but what about page ranking benefits?
  9. Contributing User

just because no one uses it, doesnt meant its necessarily bad.
    I think it is, you're making a site for your visitors, not for yourself. Only thing what you could make for yourself should be the way you make your income out of your site(if you do this). Otherwise, things on your site have to be usefull or so freaking beautiful that it really spices up your website. When not, do not use it.
    Last edited by Tresern; Feb 3rd, 2005 at 07:17 PM.
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

ok i appreciate the comments about usability etc. but what im really askin about is the pros and cons on PR.

any expert have advice on THIS aspect?

Thanks
  13. Not a Contributing User

PR will flow as usual as far as i can think of... as your splash page will be considered as index... but as Google allot PR seeing other aspects like navigation, content etc... in that case you have to depend on the PR that you will get from the BL..

any expert have advice on THIS aspect?
    but then i am also a learner... but then this is IMHO
  15. unused title

we've just gotten rid of our flash animated splash page on one of our sites because it is the page that gets all .com backlinks pointing to it... a waste really considering that it only had a title as optimisation...
    Our real front page was linked to from the splash page, which meant it wasnt benefitting from direct bl's only the flow through.

Now im doing a total flash site... i know navigation wont be followed, but thats another story...
  17. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

let me sum up my thoughts again

the splash page will be full of content. it will be a good main page. the difference is that it has ONLY ONE outbound link, and reaps ALL inbound links. as u know outbound drains pr.

also, because its a splash page u can make it all text, with good h1's, strong's, etc.
  19. unused title

sounds fine, if you want all of your pages to be equal to 1 pr ranking lower than they would be if you simply used your index page as the front page.
    Sub pages (second level pages, ie.. content pages that are linked to from the front page) usually equal a little less than the index.
    But if you do it the way you are explaining then your content pages will be 2 steps lower in pagerank than the splash page, sorry its late, i hope you're getting this.

Also your users as the others mentioned will have to click through an extra page just to get to the content that they are looking for.

Seems like it doesnt have many pro's, only cons for pr... but then again, visible pr dont mean much anymore anyway.
  21. No Profile Picture
    mick.sawyer
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)
    I see exactly where you are coming from.

You are looking to `hoard` your pagerank on your front page.

Nobody seems to have given you the answer you are looking for.

It will damage your ranking immensly and you will lose 50 -70 % of your visitors.

If you want evidence of how bad it is , just look at the old style soft p0rn sites that havent been updated for a few years.

You tell us what answer you are looking for please.
    Last edited by mick.sawyer; Feb 4th, 2005 at 06:26 AM.
  23. unused title

just like the one page websites that sell ebooks etc...

You will have a very hard time trying to rank well, gbot will have to crawl further to get at what it could get at from the front page normally.
  25. http://tinyurl.com/cz56g
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

There's nothing wrong with a splash page if it's just a bit more useful than just an intro pic.

If you make a splash page stuffed with keywords, it's more like a doorway (albeit a related one, which should be fine - SEO-wise)

If you make a page with just a pic or a flash intro, make sure that all your backlinks point to your REAL (content-filled) homepage - not to the splash page. You only want that splash to appear if people type your address into the browser's address bar.

Example:

www.mycompany.com -> splash -> click to go to content.

www.keyword1-keyword2.com -> here's the content.

Of course you shouldn't have duplicate content scattered across the web, so you'd have some redirecting to do...

Now if your splash page were rather useful, for instance a mini-sitemap (which loads first!) and a big dynamic intro (which can be skipped by clicking on the mini-sitemap links), then that could be a good method...
    ...please help me w/ the real Redscowl Bluesingsky...how2 check backlinks...now postin' @ SEO Refugee ...
    <`)~ LOL now that I finally have a paypal account, I'm charging 19,- for SEO advice via PM. Seriously...
  27. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by hugoguzman
    Have you ever seen a top media site use a splash page?

There's a reason why splash pages have gone the way of the dodo bird.
    Lots actually...

But I agree - I don't like them - put me off.
  29. L8r

Well....it takes a lot of people a long time to rank anyway. You could always do what you are suggesting and the wait for PR to update. Next replace the splash page with your real home page and start trying to get links with the heavy PR. Then you may start to rank better...who knows. If you want to try it go for it. No better teacher than experience.