1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Why is re-writing manufacturer product descriptions ruining my traffic?

Hi Guys

Wondered if someone could give me a bit of advice.

I have a website in the eCommerce market. It has around 4000 Products, with 95% of them still duplicate manufacturer descriptions.
    These descriptions are on many other websites, so in theory, they are useless to my website.

I have been re-writing product descriptions. Re-writing them in great detail, not keyword stuffing etc.

Around the 1/01 this year, I was accepted onto a highly authoritative directory, and my traffic shot up quite a lot..

Then I focused back on re-writing content.

This is my impression results over the last three month from webmaster tools.

As you can see, slowly but surely, its going back down, and all's I am focusing my time on, is re-writing unqiue content.

Would it be a good idea to completely stop re-writing content? Should I just focus on building links?

Any ideas?
    Last edited by WizR; Mar 4th, 2016 at 07:05 AM.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Hi WizR

There could be a whole load of factors behind why the impressions in going down overtime, maybe the page the link is on has included more links so the share of the link juice is reduced. I have seen in my work that some links appear to loss value over time so this could be the case. The biggest impact from a link often come quickly and tail off, I dont think this reduction is down to your re-writing product description which is the right thing to do. The only way to test this is stop for a short period of time maybe a week or two and see how if the impression keep falling or flat line.

It would be my suggestion to slit your time between both. As you can already see the link has been hugely beneficial and getting more (good quality links) will only help you further. There could be hundreds of reason there has been a tail off from user factors like time of site, or maybe you have lost over links etc. I however think that re-writting content will not be one of these factors, by maybe you should type include a few more keyword. keyword density should be around 3%. If I was you track your ranking before you update content, and then track them weekly to see if these pages get more visits and go up in rankings.

Best of luck and any other questions PM me

Comments on this post

• Doodled agrees : Storks don't bring babies even though the stats suggest they do!
  5. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by aedank22
    Hi WizR

There could be a whole load of factors behind why the impressions in going down overtime, maybe the page the link is on has included more links so the share of the link juice is reduced. I have seen in my work that some links appear to loss value over time so this could be the case. The biggest impact from a link often come quickly and tail off, I dont think this reduction is down to your re-writing product description which is the right thing to do. The only way to test this is stop for a short period of time maybe a week or two and see how if the impression keep falling or flat line.

It would be my suggestion to slit your time between both. As you can already see the link has been hugely beneficial and getting more (good quality links) will only help you further. There could be hundreds of reason there has been a tail off from user factors like time of site, or maybe you have lost over links etc. I however think that re-writting content will not be one of these factors, by maybe you should type include a few more keyword. keyword density should be around 3%. If I was you track your ranking before you update content, and then track them weekly to see if these pages get more visits and go up in rankings.

Best of luck and any other questions PM me
    Thanks man, your post is very re assuring. I think your probably very right!
  7. No Profile Picture

Rewriting manufacturer descriptions can backfire when you're not using "related phrases" to your keywords. Here's what I mean:

Let's say you target: "blue XYZ widgets". Now think about all the pages on the web that have this phrase. Google will analyze all 2 to 5 word phrases located +/- 30 words from this phrase. Let's say it frequently finds: "free shipping" and "feature ABC". "Feature ABC" is directly related to your product because frequently Google finds "blue XYZ widgets" around "feature ABC". However, "free shipping" is not that related (less information gain) since there's a very small percentage of mentions of "blue XYZ widgets" around "free shipping" in general (consider all pages on the web).

In my example, "feature ABC" is a related phrase to "blue XYZ widgets", and "free shipping" is less related. You need to use "feature ABC" close to "blue XYZ widgets", but still provide a unique description.

Here's how I do it: search for "blue XYZ widgets" and take a look at as many pages as possible. Get all common phrases around "blue XYZ widgets" into an Excel sheet (+/- 30 words). Grade them by "information gain". The important phrases are ones that predict each other: "blue XYZ widgets" predicts a "feature ABC" in close proximity and "feature ABC" also predicts a nearby "blue XYZ widgets". "Free shipping" however does not predict the presence of "blue XYZ widgets" online, because it is used in a wider context.

Another proxy to measure it is to search for: +"blue XYZ widgets" -"feature ABC" and +"feature ABC" -"blue XYZ widgets"

Again: look at as many pages as possible manually (forums, reviews, articles, product descriptions).

Now rewrite your descriptions in a way that includes 5-10 of your best related phrases. In other words, related phrases are important (helping) duplicate content, while overall text duplicate-ness may be filtered out from SERPs.

Use "blue XYZ widgets" every 50 words to create a window of 60 phrases around it to use the related phrases. Hint: for max SEO, build related to the related phrases list and use a few of these too.

Finally, to boost dwell time add more content on your page such as user review/in-depth reviews (these naturally include target and related phrases). All that's left is getting some links.

That's the recipe for ranking eCommerce stores with common manufacturer descriptions.
  9. SeoRaptor
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

You should also check if the global number of search for your target keywords isn't going down. Does the overall interest in these products stays the same?

If you want to check if it is your content rewriting that affects your SERP traffic you could select through Google analytics a page that you haven't rewrote yet and that has decent traffic, find the main keywords driving traffic, observe and analyse the data, try checking your ranking data for these keywords too. Then rewrite the content, continue monitoring your analytics and keyword positions. If your positions in the SERP drop then it's most likely linked to your content rewrite, if they stay the same or increase then content rewriting is a good thing.

There is one thing that you need to keep in mind. Even if SERP traffic and ranking are related, this relation depends on the number of queries. It is possible to do a better job and rank better and loose traffic because less users search for these terms.
    Consultant Seo - "My opinions are my own - Feel free to disagree, be constructive & think above the fold."