#16
  1. Digital Marketing
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    7,316
    Rep Power
    4894
    Originally Posted by JohnAimit
    Hi Fabrizio,
    None of us can be definitive about why one page ranks higher then another in a forum.
    Please don't speak for the professionals here that do this for a living, speak for yourself.

    Look at the link profiles of the 2 domains and the on-page factors given by KnowOneSpecial and you'll have your answers.
  2. #17
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Laguna Niguel, CA - USA
    Posts
    107
    Rep Power
    17
    Ok, finally I have finished my analysis. It took a while, but I think I found out interesting aspects of this issue.

    First of all, I got a copy of SEO PowerSite. Despite I am already using MOZ, SEMrush and Ahrefs, I thought that was an additional useful tool for me (thanks KOS for the hint!)

    Well, after attentive analysis, yes, I found my Christmas page had more stuffed keywords than my competitors’ but I don’t think on-page factors are that relevant for ranking on that pretty competitive search keyword (“christmas sheet music”). I have anyway reduced the number of “stuffed” keywords to safe levels, but by analyzing all other pages ranking before me for that keyword I found they also have on-page issues that could be given them trouble. Look at this page ranking 3rd for example:





    Or this one ranking 4th:




    I have also analyzed other top-ranking pages with other keywords, and I found pages ranking high with many more stuffed keywords than mine… in other words, I don’t think that for highly competitive keywords on-page factors like “mild stuffing” of keywords can be an issue (by “mild” i mean, 7-15 stuffed keywords compared to real spammers like 100 and more stuffed keywords… those aren’t probably even listed on Google for such competitive keywords).


    On the “toxic” backlink side, I made a report on SEMrush and got nothing to worry about there (for some reason, they listed just bunch of backlinks for my Christmas page):



    I made the same report with SpyGlass, and got similar results as well:




    I then made the same analysis on my top competitors’ backlinks, and they look pretty much the same like mine above on both SEMrush and SpyGlass.


    I found big differences though on the “domain” level for my site compared to 8notes. It looks like I have more toxic links than my competitors overall, despite I have already submitted a disavow file a few months ago, it looks like I need to submit a new one because new toxic links arose lately… that could be one of the causes of my low ranking.

    But at the end of my analysis, I think most of the problem of my page compared to my competitors (not only the Christmas page on 8notes.com, but all other competitors’ Christmas pages listed before me on Google for “Christmas sheet music”) is not an on-page problem, and nor a bad back link profile (as I said, that could contribute, but I don’t think it is the main cause). I think the main problem is simply because those competitors that have metrics similar to mine, are just offering more “free stuff” of what I am offering. Most users probably prefer to see “free stuff” instead than “stuff for a price”, and being my website clearly a commercial site, users visit my page, then get back to Google… pogosticking, that’s what I think is most of the problem here.

    In any case, as I said, I have solved all on-page issues and I am going to disavow all possible toxic back links to my domain level.

    What do you think? Could I be on the right track here?
  4. #18
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Laguna Niguel, CA - USA
    Posts
    107
    Rep Power
    17
    Originally Posted by JohnAimit
    Hi Fabrizio,
    None of us can be definitive about why one page ranks higher then another in a forum. With 200+ ranking factors of variable strength, I believe we can only offer some ideas for closer exploration.

    I'm not going to comment on the numbers and types of external links and their values. This is well discussed by Knowonespecial but I would suggest comparing the structures of the two sites for how link juice may be passed through to the example pages very differently.

    1. Site Structure & PageRank
    Virtualsheetmusic uses a much flatter file structure than the 8Notes site. I've not counted but a quick eye-ball suggests Virtualsheetmusic Home could be diluting incoming PageRank values across maybe 5 times the number of pages as the 8notes site.

    This should cause a much greater reduction in PageRank values to the virtualsheetmusic.com/Christmas.html pages than to the equivalent 8notes section pages.

    I find a visual inspection of the text-only cached versions of home pages the best/quickest check for this issue. (I.e. Do a G "site:" search)

    2. Volume of Content about Christmas Music
    A site: search also indicates that 8Notes contains many more pages of info about "Christmas sheet music" then Virtualsheetmusic.

    8Notes = 20 pages
    Virtualsheetmusic = 4 pages

    G is not only looking at how external pages are linked, it also assesses internal site content links. If one site has 20 pages of content that relate to a search query topic and they all use SE relevant ranking factors like search words in URLs, titles, H1 headings, link text, etc. the 20 page site section should have a big ranking score advantage over the one with only 4 pages on the same search topic.

    I have always found that a major aspect of SEO success is in deciding which individual search query words to target across all site pages vs. those you select for targeting on section pages of a site.

    (Knowonespecial, Not trying to cut in here. I've recently retired from offering SEO services.)


    Very good points John, I love the first you brought up about "diluting" the value passed to the Christmas page because of the sheer number of pages linked from the Home Page, but I'd like to understand how I could analyze that to be sure about it.

    About your second point, I’d like to know how you could find that we have just 4 pages about Christmas sheet music when actually we have the largest catalog of Christmas sheet music on the web, over 7,000 sheet music titles just for Christmas (all sheet music items), all possible instrumental combinations you can think of.

    If I do this search on Google I get about 25,500 results:

    site:virtualsheetmusic.com christmas sheet music


    and for our competitor, the same search gets 22,300 results:

    site:8notes.com christmas sheet music


    Thoughts?
  6. #19
  7. No Profile Picture
    Moderator
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,363
    Rep Power
    2484
    Seems you have a grasp on things now...

    It generally takes a couple of weeks at minimum for the disavow file to work.... so don't get to hasty.

    Check your rankings a couple of times a week. Lets see what happens in a couple of weeks, keep us updated.

    edited to add...

    Now something else you can do is check 8notes backlinks. If you can identify their quality backlinks, then you can attempt to acquire backlinks from the same source. That will provide a boost if you do it correctly.

    I suppose that is why they call it SpyGlass.....Spying on your competitors....
    Last edited by KnowOneSpecial; Nov 3rd, 2017 at 08:45 PM. Reason: spelling correction
  8. #20
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    277
    Rep Power
    591
    Hi Fabrizio,
    Sorry if you already know this but please check we are on the same page about how PageRank is diluted as it flows through a site. This is an oldie but still goodie on the topic from Google's Matt Cutts:

    Nov 2013: How many links on a page should we have? Is there a limit?
    Ref. to the 1 min 20 secs point of the video where he talks about how a thousand internal page links can pass a tiny amount of PageRank compared to a page with 100 internal links.

    Your reply shows you know how to do a "site:" search. Click through to Google's "cached" version of the page then compare the text-only versions of your Home page with 8Notes Home page, you will see that your Home PageRank is being diluted across around 300 internal links while 8Notes Home is only diluted across around 100 internal links.

    Then there is the selection of pages to which you want to pass PageRank. 8Notes seems to restrict dispersion to sub-category topics. Your Home page splits it down as far as individual music pages (Eg. Fur Elise, Moonlight Sonata, etc.) These links may be important for you but if not, they will collectively defray PageRank to pages that may be of lesser importance.

    The site: searches you did for (eg.) "virtualsheetmusic.com christmas sheet music" show how many of each site's pages should qualify for a G search of the term but it does not show which pages are link grouped. For this info do these site searches:

    site:virtualsheetmusic.com/christmas
    site:8notes.com/all/christmas

    That's how I arrived at 4 linked pages about "Christmas sheet music" on your site and 20 on 8Notes.

    What I believe is frequently overlooked is how passing PageRank through a site and the effective grouping of search topic content pages within a site can dramatically escalate various internal search landing pages in SERPs.

    It seems your site and 8Notes have been around for many, many years. It looks to me like 8Notes has learned:

    • How to prioritise and pass PageRank better
    • How to structure its site and URLs better
    • How to build more content pages for search topic pages


    Link profiles of the 2 domains don't seem to mean anything for 8Note's and your site's rankings?

    You may also want to consider the fact that neither site's Home page ranks in the top 500 Google search results for your search query even though both qualify for the results and each has 10's/100's of thousands of external links.

    PLEASE NOTE that this is a very limited and therefor superficial SEO audit!

    I also suggest that these issues help to explain why there are 21 pages from 8Notes that rank in the top 500 places for the search query: Christmas sheet music. There is only 1 page from Virtualshettmusic that ranks in the top 500.
  10. #21
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Laguna Niguel, CA - USA
    Posts
    107
    Rep Power
    17
    Originally Posted by KnowOneSpecial
    Seems you have a grasp on things now...

    It generally takes a couple of weeks at minimum for the disavow file to work.... so don't get to hasty.

    Check your rankings a couple of times a week. Lets see what happens in a couple of weeks, keep us updated.

    edited to add...

    Now something else you can do is check 8notes backlinks. If you can identify their quality backlinks, then you can attempt to acquire backlinks from the same source. That will provide a boost if you do it correctly.

    I suppose that is why they call it SpyGlass.....Spying on your competitors....
    Thank you KOS, I'll definitively keep you posted.

    And yes, I'll do what you have suggested, despite I already began doing some of that work, but I'll try to be more specific as you have suggested.

    Thank you again.
  12. #22
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Laguna Niguel, CA - USA
    Posts
    107
    Rep Power
    17
    Originally Posted by JohnAimit
    Hi Fabrizio,
    Sorry if you already know this but please check we are on the same page about how PageRank is diluted as it flows through a site. This is an oldie but still goodie on the topic from Google's Matt Cutts:

    Nov 2013: How many links on a page should we have? Is there a limit?
    Ref. to the 1 min 20 secs point of the video where he talks about how a thousand internal page links can pass a tiny amount of PageRank compared to a page with 100 internal links.

    Your reply shows you know how to do a "site:" search. Click through to Google's "cached" version of the page then compare the text-only versions of your Home page with 8Notes Home page, you will see that your Home PageRank is being diluted across around 300 internal links while 8Notes Home is only diluted across around 100 internal links.

    Then there is the selection of pages to which you want to pass PageRank. 8Notes seems to restrict dispersion to sub-category topics. Your Home page splits it down as far as individual music pages (Eg. Fur Elise, Moonlight Sonata, etc.) These links may be important for you but if not, they will collectively defray PageRank to pages that may be of lesser importance.
    Perfectly clear, thank you very much for explaining this. It makes sense, and I’ll see what we can do about it. Do you think this issue could have more weight than other factors such as user pogosticking (time on page, user intent and such)? Just curious to know your opinion about this.


    Originally Posted by JohnAimit
    The site: searches you did for (eg.) "virtualsheetmusic.com christmas sheet music" show how many of each site's pages should qualify for a G search of the term but it does not show which pages are link grouped. For this info do these site searches:

    site:virtualsheetmusic.com/christmas
    site:8notes.com/all/christmas

    That's how I arrived at 4 linked pages about "Christmas sheet music" on your site and 20 on 8Notes.

    What I believe is frequently overlooked is how passing PageRank through a site and the effective grouping of search topic content pages within a site can dramatically escalate various internal search landing pages in SERPs.

    It seems your site and 8Notes have been around for many, many years. It looks to me like 8Notes has learned:

    • How to prioritise and pass PageRank better
    • How to structure its site and URLs better
    • How to build more content pages for search topic pages

    Now I see what you mean, I really didn’t know about this “grouping” thing… but I am wondering what’s the rule there? I see you used the 8notes.com URL of the page I am questioning about, whereas for my site you used a URL that 301 redirects to the main Christmas page. Why did you use that URL? What’s the way to handle that kind of search?



    Originally Posted by JohnAimit
    Link profiles of the 2 domains don't seem to mean anything for 8Note's and your site's rankings?

    You may also want to consider the fact that neither site's Home page ranks in the top 500 Google search results for your search query even though both qualify for the results and each has 10's/100's of thousands of external links.

    PLEASE NOTE that this is a very limited and therefor superficial SEO audit!

    I also suggest that these issues help to explain why there are 21 pages from 8Notes that rank in the top 500 places for the search query: Christmas sheet music. There is only 1 page from Virtualshettmusic that ranks in the top 500.
    Very good points as well… how would you suggest improving this kind of “grouping”? Would that be in revising the structure of the site (the “tree” structure)?
  14. #23
  15. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    277
    Rep Power
    591
    Fabrizio: Perfectly clear, thank you very much for explaining this. It makes sense, and I’ll see what we can do about it. Do you think this issue could have more weight than other factors such as user pogosticking (time on page, user intent and such)? Just curious to know your opinion about this.


    1. User Search Intent
    User intent is different to the others. RankBrain is the function that is assessing user intent. It seems to be a component that acts as a precursor to G's page ranking algorithm. Eg. RB may decide one search query needs G's location algo to kick in. For another it may decide "query deserves freshness" is a more relevant factor. If the search query is too vague, RB seems to choose pages from a selection of "searches related to" the query.

    Eg. A search for: sheet music

    I see this list of "Searches related to sheet music"

    download sheet music
    sheet music piano
    sheet music free
    printable sheet music
    sheet music online
    sheet music direct
    sheet music notes
    free printable sheet music

    This list seems to change over time (days/weeks) as the most popular search queries change.

    2. "Engagement" or "Sentiment" as Google Ranking Signals
    Folk have described "engagement" or "sentiment" signals to include CTR, bounce rates, time on page, pogo sticking, dwell time, etc. Google has been trying to kill these ranking myths since they first emerged. For a start, common sense should tell us they are a combination of:

    • signals that have nothing to do with web page quality (CTR)
    • inconsistent signals (bounce rates, time on page)
    • very infrequently used signals (pogo-sticking, dwell time)

    Then there is the issue of how does the website owner measure them? Analytics does not report them accurately. Eg. Analytics reports "time on page" as a measurement of the time between two on-site page clicks. If the site visitor lands on one page then leaves the site, the time is reported as "0" seconds and 100% bounce rate. If a searcher was looking for a phone number, email, business name, location, opening hours, etc. and found them on the first page visited, this would make these example numbers "good" metrics, not bad.

    Check out your own site's Analytics metrics for landing pages. If searchers land on category pages like "Christmas sheet music", they will tend to have a lower bounce rate and time on page than if someone searches for "Fur Elise" and lands on that page. The first search is for a navigation info page, the second for a specific piece of info. These types of pages tend to have higher bounce rates and time on page can be very variable. Some visits may generate "0" time on page because there is no need to visit another page.

    Finally we have SE user surveys that show usage of some is so low as to be irrelevant. Eg Only 8% of searches who click on a search link actually return to the search results (So much for any usefulness of pogo-sticking and dwell time as ranking signals.)

    The most recent statement from a G spokesperson I've seen is from Gary Illyes:

    31 Oct 2017: ‘Ask Me Anything’ with Google’s Gary Illyes at SMX East

    "Michelle: Does Google factor non-search traffic into rankings?

    Gary: First of all, search traffic is not something we use in rankings. As for other kinds of traffic, Google might see that through Analytics, but I swear we do not use Analytics data for search rankings. We also have data from Chrome, but Chrome is insanely noisy.

    I actually evaluated the potential for using that data but couldn’t determine how it could be effectively used in ranking.

    Barry: What about indirect signals from search traffic, such as pogo-sticking? Previously, Google has said that they do not use that directly for ranking.

    Gary: Yes, we use it only for QA of our ranking algorithms."

    The most detailed discussion on RankBrain and "engagement" signals as ranking factors I know of is:



    Fabrizio: Now I see what you mean, I really didn’t know about this “grouping” thing… but I am wondering what’s the rule there?


    3. Grouping Internal Site Topic Pages
    The "grouping thing" is a combination of factors we do know (Eg. "link text"), many Google vague references to how it looks at the content of linked pages to better understand the ranked page and my 23 years of inspecting SE results (that is the realm of opinion).

    Eg. If you search for "jewellery", you will see a number of top results from smaller sites that only sell jewellery products. A huge site like Theiconic may rank #10 but you don't see the smaller specialty sites being obliterated in the results by the monster sites that may also include large volumes of jewellery product pages. These sorts of search result patterns were more obvious back before all the RankBrain and other recently imposed factors came into play, but they still seem to hold good for Google's algo.

    Fabrizio: I see you used the 8notes.com URL of the page I am questioning about, whereas for my site you used a URL that 301 redirects to the main Christmas page. Why did you use that URL? What’s the way to handle that kind of search?


    4. Site: Search for Topic Pages
    I simply followed the URL hierarchy for each site. G does not index 301 pages. All 4 of your pages indexed by G for the query (site:virtualsheetmusic.com/christmas) are live.

    Fabrizio: Very good points as well… how would you suggest improving this kind of “grouping”? Would that be in revising the structure of the site (the “tree” structure)?


    5. Site Structure
    It looks to me like you should find a more specifically defined "tree" structure improves your site's ability to generate more revenue.

    It also looks like there is inconsistency in your section category layout. Eg. If someone lands on your guitar page (virtualsheetmusic.com/guitar/) they should want to see all your main guitar sub-sections listed top of the page. (All Guitar, Easy Guitar, Classical Guitar, Jazz Guitar, etc.) At present these are hidden in a drop menu.

    This all means you are asking questions that require a very detailed level of discussion - too detailed for a forum. I can see you will have different marketing communications issues around:

    • Repeat customers vs. new customers
    • Seasonality in various product categories
    • Special events that may impact promotions
    • Trends in searches for specific new music
    • Support for email & social media marketing programs
    • Etc.

    You can't just look at some "frequently used keywords" list to structure your site. You need to plan your site around your large range of various target customer types and your profitability from your very extensive range of products.

    You may want to revamp your site's Home page and/or structure around seasonality issues, more closely defined customer/product segments and marketing programs like social media and email newsletters. These may require regular Home page content revisions.

    I'd suggest finding yourself an SEO consultant with marketing and e-commerce experience. Ask about their ability to support you in the intial site auditing and structure planning functions.
    Last edited by JohnAimit; Nov 5th, 2017 at 04:19 AM.
  16. #24
  17. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    277
    Rep Power
    591

    Google's New Sheet Music SERP User Interface


    I just found this new Google SERP user interface for sheet music searches.

    G now displays a carousel of pics and links to search results for specific pieces of music if folk search for "sheet music (+certain type of instrument)". Eg. sheet music guitar, sheet music piano. I presume these selections are made by RankBrain. You would want to consider the relevance of these search results to your business and whether you need landing pages that target the music piece/instrument.

    Eg. G Page Header List of search results for: sheet music piano

    • The Entertainer, Scott Joplin
    • Hallelujah, Leonard Cohen · 1984
    • River Flows in You, Yiruma · 2001
    • Mia & Sebastian’s Theme, Justin Hurwitz · 2016
    • You Raise Me Up, Josh Groban · 2003
    • My Immortal, Evanescence · 2000
    • Skinny Love, Birdy · 2011
    • Rose Leaf Rag, Scott Joplin
    • Viva la Vida, Coldplay · 2008
    • Hotel California, Eagles · 1976
    • Skyfall, Adele · 2017
    • Mad World, Michael Andrews · 2002
    • Kiss the Rain, Yiruma · 2003
    • Hey Jude, The Beatles · 1968
    • The Winner Takes It All, ABBA · 1980
    • Your Song, Elton John · 1970
    • Candle in the Wind, Elton John · 1973
    • Comptine d'un Autre été: L'Après-Midi, Yann Tiersen · 2001
    • My Way, Frank Sinatra
    • Everglow, Coldplay · 2015
    • True Colors, Cyndi Lauper · 1986
    • American Pie, Don McLean · 1971
    • Thank You for the Music, ABBA · 1977
    • May It Be, Enya · 2003

    I see an 8Notes page ranks in the top 10 (8notes.com/scores/22016.asp) for "The Entertainer" search. Look at the volume of info it contains about the piece of music and the very large number of links to other site pages relevant to "The Entertainer" - around 50. Now compare your equivalent page. Would that be virtualsheetmusic.com/score/EnterPf.html? It includes relatively little info about "The Entertainer". Check both site pages in text-only version to see how much search query irrelevant info is on your page (all the 300 irrelevant site navigation links).

    Think of what happens with any external links to these two pages...

    • The link text is likely to include words like: The Entertainer, sheet music & piano
    • 8Notes is reaping the benefit of assigning much of the PageRank across 50 search topic related pages
    • Virtualsheet music is wasting most of its PageRank across 300+ irrelevant links

    You have an 80,000 page website that should be qualifying for hundreds of thousands of different search queries. Your page content and site structure will be squandering "squillions" of search ranking points.

    Get some advice from a very good SEO that focuses on these site structure and content issues. The most effective SEO advice needs to start in the site planning stage. It should include planning issues like:

    • URL naming conventions
    • Image file naming conventions
    • Image alt tag naming conventions
    • Use and naming of breadcrumb trails
    • <title> naming conventions
    • conventions for grouping related content
    • Etc.

    Hope this helps show how important these factors can be for large sites like yours.
  18. #25
  19. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Laguna Niguel, CA - USA
    Posts
    107
    Rep Power
    17
    Thank you John for your replies and explanation, everything is clear to me with the exception of the following:


    Originally Posted by JohnAimit
    Fabrizio: Very good points as well… how would you suggest improving this kind of “grouping”? Would that be in revising the structure of the site (the “tree” structure)?


    5. Site Structure
    It looks to me like you should find a more specifically defined "tree" structure improves your site's ability to generate more revenue.

    It also looks like there is inconsistency in your section category layout. Eg. If someone lands on your guitar page (virtualsheetmusic.com/guitar/) they should want to see all your main guitar sub-sections listed top of the page. (All Guitar, Easy Guitar, Classical Guitar, Jazz Guitar, etc.) At present these are hidden in a drop menu.
    I don't understand, the category page for guitar you mentioned (virtualsheetmusic.com/guitar/) shows sub-category buttons at the top of the page, in the content "above the fold". Those are the ones users should see right away. The drop menu you are talking about is part of the main-global navigation.



    Originally Posted by JohnAimit
    This all means you are asking questions that require a very detailed level of discussion - too detailed for a forum. I can see you will have different marketing communications issues around:

    • Repeat customers vs. new customers
    • Seasonality in various product categories
    • Special events that may impact promotions
    • Trends in searches for specific new music
    • Support for email & social media marketing programs
    • Etc.

    You can't just look at some "frequently used keywords" list to structure your site. You need to plan your site around your large range of various target customer types and your profitability from your very extensive range of products.

    You may want to revamp your site's Home page and/or structure around seasonality issues, more closely defined customer/product segments and marketing programs like social media and email newsletters. These may require regular Home page content revisions.

    I'd suggest finding yourself an SEO consultant with marketing and e-commerce experience. Ask about their ability to support you in the intial site auditing and structure planning functions.
    That's exactly what I have been doing for the past 21 years. We are a small company and despite we had some external SEO consultants and SEO companies helping us during the years, I took care of SEO most of the times due to our budget restraints. And as often happened, I found myself paying professionals thousands of dollars to discover that I knew more then them.

    In any case, if you have anyone or any company to suggest, please, let me know. Thank you again.
  20. #26
  21. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Laguna Niguel, CA - USA
    Posts
    107
    Rep Power
    17
    Originally Posted by JohnAimit
    I just found this new Google SERP user interface for sheet music searches.

    G now displays a carousel of pics and links to search results for specific pieces of music if folk search for "sheet music (+certain type of instrument)". Eg. sheet music guitar, sheet music piano. I presume these selections are made by RankBrain. You would want to consider the relevance of these search results to your business and whether you need landing pages that target the music piece/instrument.

    Eg. G Page Header List of search results for: sheet music piano

    • The Entertainer, Scott Joplin
    • Hallelujah, Leonard Cohen · 1984
    • River Flows in You, Yiruma · 2001
    • Mia & Sebastian’s Theme, Justin Hurwitz · 2016
    • You Raise Me Up, Josh Groban · 2003
    • My Immortal, Evanescence · 2000
    • Skinny Love, Birdy · 2011
    • Rose Leaf Rag, Scott Joplin
    • Viva la Vida, Coldplay · 2008
    • Hotel California, Eagles · 1976
    • Skyfall, Adele · 2017
    • Mad World, Michael Andrews · 2002
    • Kiss the Rain, Yiruma · 2003
    • Hey Jude, The Beatles · 1968
    • The Winner Takes It All, ABBA · 1980
    • Your Song, Elton John · 1970
    • Candle in the Wind, Elton John · 1973
    • Comptine d'un Autre été: L'Après-Midi, Yann Tiersen · 2001
    • My Way, Frank Sinatra
    • Everglow, Coldplay · 2015
    • True Colors, Cyndi Lauper · 1986
    • American Pie, Don McLean · 1971
    • Thank You for the Music, ABBA · 1977
    • May It Be, Enya · 2003

    I see an 8Notes page ranks in the top 10 (8notes.com/scores/22016.asp) for "The Entertainer" search. Look at the volume of info it contains about the piece of music and the very large number of links to other site pages relevant to "The Entertainer" - around 50. Now compare your equivalent page. Would that be virtualsheetmusic.com/score/EnterPf.html? It includes relatively little info about "The Entertainer". Check both site pages in text-only version to see how much search query irrelevant info is on your page (all the 300 irrelevant site navigation links).

    Think of what happens with any external links to these two pages...

    • The link text is likely to include words like: The Entertainer, sheet music & piano
    • 8Notes is reaping the benefit of assigning much of the PageRank across 50 search topic related pages
    • Virtualsheet music is wasting most of its PageRank across 300+ irrelevant links

    You have an 80,000 page website that should be qualifying for hundreds of thousands of different search queries. Your page content and site structure will be squandering "squillions" of search ranking points.

    Get some advice from a very good SEO that focuses on these site structure and content issues. The most effective SEO advice needs to start in the site planning stage. It should include planning issues like:

    • URL naming conventions
    • Image file naming conventions
    • Image alt tag naming conventions
    • Use and naming of breadcrumb trails
    • <title> naming conventions
    • conventions for grouping related content
    • Etc.

    Hope this helps show how important these factors can be for large sites like yours.

    Very good points again, I got it. I am eager to know who you would advise us to hire for this kind of job. Thanks.
  22. #27
  23. Digital Marketing
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    7,316
    Rep Power
    4894
    Originally Posted by fabrizio
    Very good points again, I got it. I am eager to know who you would advise us to hire for this kind of job. Thanks.
    You would be fortunate to get KnowOneSpecial if he is currently accepting clients
  24. #28
  25. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    277
    Rep Power
    591
    Fabrizio: "I don't understand, the category page for guitar you mentioned (virtualsheetmusic.com/guitar/) shows sub-category buttons at the top of the page, in the content "above the fold". Those are the ones users should see right away. The drop menu you are talking about is part of the main-global navigation"

    My bad. I was expecting to see your drop menu links at the top of the page. I now realise they were scattered through the sub-sections below.


    Fabrizio: "I found myself paying professionals thousands of dollars to discover that I knew more then them."

    I understand your frustration. I expect most SEOs do not have the level of knowledge you need. Too many think SEO is as simple as completing title tags then implementing link building. You need something very different. A superficial look suggests you may benefit with advice about:

    • Establishing a site structure
    • Site content planning
    • Assessing your e-commerce system limitations
    • Discussing where to compromise simplicity of page publishing with complexities involved with SEO
    • Researching and implementing primary, secondary and site-wide search words
    • Advanced SEO training for you
    • Someone who can answer in more detail and with access to your Analytics and your brain


    A few other items I noticed that may need checking from the few pages I dipped into:

    You may have issues with Google "reading" text behind your show/hide tabs

    Image file names and alt tags may be under-using search words

    Some search words that may be under-utilised across your site. Eg:

    "buy" only used on 16,500 pages
    "direct" only used on 35 pages
    "printable" only used on 2,400 pages
    "online" only used on 18,900 pages

    A suggestion...

    Spend more time looking at the different types of web pages and their content that rank top for different types of searches rather than being over-reliant on SEO tool metrics.

    I find you can learn an awful lot more about your competition and also gather new content ideas with the old mark 1 eyeballs..

    Sorry I can't recommend SEO's with this specific knowledge requirement. I'm on the other side of the world to you and only get to know USA folk via the limited contact of forums.

    Why not send a message to Knowonespecial? Alternatively, would there be any value in posting a help request in the "Public Site Reviews" forum.

    Comments on this post

    • fabrizio agrees : Great advice, lov it.
    Last edited by JohnAimit; Nov 6th, 2017 at 02:54 AM.
  26. #29
  27. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Laguna Niguel, CA - USA
    Posts
    107
    Rep Power
    17
    Originally Posted by JohnAimit
    Fabrizio: "I don't understand, the category page for guitar you mentioned (virtualsheetmusic.com/guitar/) shows sub-category buttons at the top of the page, in the content "above the fold". Those are the ones users should see right away. The drop menu you are talking about is part of the main-global navigation"

    My bad. I was expecting to see your drop menu links at the top of the page. I now realise they were scattered through the sub-sections below.


    Fabrizio: "I found myself paying professionals thousands of dollars to discover that I knew more then them."

    I understand your frustration. I expect most SEOs do not have the level of knowledge you need. Too many think SEO is as simple as completing title tags then implementing link building. You need something very different. A superficial look suggests you may benefit with advice about:

    • Establishing a site structure
    • Site content planning
    • Assessing your e-commerce system limitations
    • Discussing where to compromise simplicity of page publishing with complexities involved with SEO
    • Researching and implementing primary, secondary and site-wide search words
    • Advanced SEO training for you
    • Someone who can answer in more detail and with access to your Analytics and your brain


    A few other items I noticed that may need checking from the few pages I dipped into:

    You may have issues with Google "reading" text behind your show/hide tabs

    Image file names and alt tags may be under-using search words

    Some search words that may be under-utilised across your site. Eg:

    "buy" only used on 16,500 pages
    "direct" only used on 35 pages
    "printable" only used on 2,400 pages
    "online" only used on 18,900 pages

    A suggestion...

    Spend more time looking at the different types of web pages and their content that rank top for different types of searches rather than being over-reliant on SEO tool metrics.

    I find you can learn an awful lot more about your competition and also gather new content ideas with the old mark 1 eyeballs..

    Sorry I can't recommend SEO's with this specific knowledge requirement. I'm on the other side of the world to you and only get to know USA folk via the limited contact of forums.

    Why not send a message to Knowonespecial? Alternatively, would there be any value in posting a help request in the "Public Site Reviews" forum.

    Wow, thank you John, that's really fantastic information and advice. I thank you very much.

    Where are you from? UK? From what you write it looks like you could be the "perfect guy" for us Do you offer services like the ones you have suggested above? Just curious...


    I'll definitively ask KOS and I'll have a look at your suggested forum ("Public Site Reviews"), that sounds like a great idea!

    Thanks again.
  28. #30
  29. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    277
    Rep Power
    591
    I'm from Australia but I've definitely retired.

    I still keep my eye on what's happening with search engines and online marketing.

    Thanks for your compliment. Good luck.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 12
    Last Post: Dec 31st, 2013, 09:24 AM
  2. Landing page ranks higher but home page removed from index
    By stephench in forum Google Optimization
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: Dec 24th, 2012, 05:04 AM
  3. Parked page ranks but content page doesn't !?
    By jeffmartini13 in forum Google Optimization
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: Jan 26th, 2010, 07:26 PM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: Sep 2nd, 2005, 07:09 PM

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo