Page 3 of 3 First 123
  • Jump to page:
  1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

I agree with many of you here.

The site map will not magically give you top rankings for anything. It's just letting Google know the page is there. IMO it's really just a larger (and probably better working) version of the "submit my site to Google" form. I'm sure everyone has used that at some point in time & no one ever worried that Goggle was using it to get rid of the people who wanted their site to rank. That's just ludicrous. What would Google try to "lure" people into submitting their sites so that they could turn around and not include them in there results? If you're not using spammy techniques then you will not have anything to worry about.

3. Join Date
    Sep 2004
    I strongly disagree

5. Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Originally Posted by bigdoug
    This is why I believe human Serp selection is coming soon. Get cheep labor abroad and hand them a bunch of I-Macs for selection of top sites. Politics, big money, and insane infighting for the best results - 2010.

D
    Never will happen too much depence on it ( people are easy to bribe
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

Me personally I dont think Google sitemaps is not that great of an idea. I mean you can make stand alone pages and do some nasty things with them. Remember we have always said that once a page is indexed it has pagerank. So you trick a majority of link exchange programs out there. I am personally gonna follow the same routes I have done up till now with indexing. I mean seriously, if you cant get your entire site indexed then you have more problems than most SEO's.

Frequency of Indexing

Now as far as visits from Gbot that is a different story, I have sites that have tons of supplimental results for pages that have been gone for quite some time. I want these pages to get hit more, so for those existing sites, sitemaps is not a bad idea.
  9. Son Of Spam

All this talk about googles sitemap submission is interesting but has any one ever seen any thing new actually get indexed yet? Never mind rank, just indexed. I don't see how it speeds up any thing. I've waited weeks after submitting my sitemaps and never got indexed. So where is the value of it? I can get a new site indexed faster without G's sitemap submission. I would however love to see other SE's do this, at least then I would know I'd get indexed some where. G takes too long. Like watching paint dry, only takes longer.
  11. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

I happen to agree with rjonesx. And, I for one think that google did at one time in the past penalize Adword users, not anymore. However, I wouldn't be surprised if the trend comes back. Submitting to google is unnatural and breaks an important rule in my SEO ways. However, this is all definately opinion as far as I am concerned. I see evidence going both ways of good results with and without.
  13. Contributing User

Get a grip ...

There is so many tin foil hats in this room I am almost blinded by the glare ... somebody should really pass out the meds around here. Just needed to rant a little so I fit in here.

Ok here is the real scoop on site maps ...

If Googlebot is crawling your whole site and you are happy with the frequency of indexing ... DO NOT USE SITEMAPS.

Now for the rest of you ... if you use dynamic database pages, form navigation, flash or javascript menus, or some other technology that cannot be crawled easily ... USE SITEMAPS.

If you are a large news site that updates pages frequently (like every 1-60 minutes) and Googlebot does not visit frequently enough or too frequently ... USE SITEMAPS WITH PING.

Sitemaps will not affect your Page Rank, SERPs, or bypass any of the existing filters ... and there is no guarantee any page submitted will be indexed.

SPAM is still SPAM no matter how Google finds it.
  15. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Updating Sitemaps

Once a sitemap is submitted, do you need to continue submitting them when you make changes to your pages? Or does normal spider activity take over once you submit an initial sitemap?

Ed
  17. Contributing User

Google has been uploading my sitemap every couple of days without resubmitting it ...

I update my sitemap monthly and submit it anyway as part of my month end routine.
  19. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Updating your sitemap

I'm confused. My site is 4 years old and fully indexed, but I submitted a site map a month ago. I figured nothing to lose and no harm done. I have not updated my site map since.

My site continues to get visits from GoogleBot and they update my cache when I edit my homepage.

So unless I'm adding hard to detect pages, do I need to re-submit my site map periodically? If so, why?

Ed
  21. No Profile Picture
    Banned
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Google sitemap is an effective approach for SEO's suffering from the no deepcrawling problem for years !! Besides encouraging Google for their positive move here we are trying to discover their real motive behind Gsitemap !!

Im not so much into legal scenerio but yes if some company is inviting or collecting the info from visitors or conducting a collection of data like googlesitemaps then there are very strickt rules on which they work accordingly and they publish same info on their website ..

After All Google is not GOD so that people merly just analyse that what will be the next but YES google sitemap is something which i personally apperciate as a most awaited move from Google !!
  23. Contributing User

There are a couple things you need to remember ...

First --- Sitemaps is currently in BETA testing stage and could remain there for months or years. They are probably fine tuning the crawler and seeing what errors they need to program around. Don't expect miracles.

Second --- Sitemaps in not designed to replace Googlebot. Regular crawling will continue with or without sitemaps. But they may be able to fine tune some crawling frequencies.

I imagine like most things many webmasters will let their maps go stale and they will eventually be ignored... once Google has the data they need.
  25. Contributing User

I heared some people that Google Sitemaps are against Google general policy to accept only natural things....

But from my point of view it's exactly the same thing as http://www.google.com/add_url.html ... you just anounce Google that a new site/page was launched and let them decide if they'll crawl/index.rank it... etc...

So I really doubt something bad can happen due to site maps...
Page 3 of 3 First 123
  • Jump to page: