1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Why have SERP titles changed?

My site, 21stcenturyhghdotcom, is #4 for the search term "hgh," #8 for "human growth hormone," and #10 for "growth hormone." It was higher prior to Big Daddy. Since Big Daddy the listing in the SERPs has changed from my sites metatag title, Maximum HGH Allowable, to the name of my business, 21st Century HGH. This has changed for the first two keywords listed above. For the last keyword, "growth hormone," the title in the SERP has remained as my metatag title. This seems to be true for all the other websites in the SERPs. It's almost as if a human editor went into the search term and cherry picked the name of the business as the SERP title for everyone in the rankings. I guess this makes the SERPs more relevant, or at least less liable to be manipulated through metatags. So are metatag titles now becoming irrelevant? Can a spider discover the name of a business with such accuracy?

I've been working with another website, breathcuredotcom, whose SERPs have been all over the place. We just made massive metatag changes to titles, descriptions, and keywords. When we find ourselves ranked at all, like #12 for "bad breath treatment," we see SERP titles that match the titles prior to our changes made 2-3 weeks ago. Here I'd love to see the new metatag title OR the business name, but I get neither. I'm soooooo confused!

Are others of you noticing SERP titles that don't match your metatag titles? Can anyone speculate why Google is so inconsistent with respect to SERP titles and metatags?

Thanks,

Michael
  3. :::::::::::::::::::::
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

Originally Posted by mharvey
    My site, 21stcenturyhghdotcom, is #4 for the search term "hgh," #8 for "human growth hormone," and #10 for "growth hormone." It was higher prior to Big Daddy. Since Big Daddy the listing in the SERPs has changed from my sites metatag title, Maximum HGH Allowable, to the name of my business, 21st Century HGH. This has changed for the first two keywords listed above. For the last keyword, "growth hormone," the title in the SERP has remained as my metatag title. This seems to be true for all the other websites in the SERPs. It's almost as if a human editor went into the search term and cherry picked the name of the business as the SERP title for everyone in the rankings. I guess this makes the SERPs more relevant, or at least less liable to be manipulated through metatags. So are metatag titles now becoming irrelevant? Can a spider discover the name of a business with such accuracy?

I've been working with another website, breathcuredotcom, whose SERPs have been all over the place. We just made massive metatag changes to titles, descriptions, and keywords. When we find ourselves ranked at all, like #12 for "bad breath treatment," we see SERP titles that match the titles prior to our changes made 2-3 weeks ago. Here I'd love to see the new metatag title OR the business name, but I get neither. I'm soooooo confused!

Are others of you noticing SERP titles that don't match your metatag titles? Can anyone speculate why Google is so inconsistent with respect to SERP titles and metatags?

Thanks,

Michael
    They are using your DMOZ title...
    FROM - http://www.google.com/Top/Shopping/Health/Alternative/Life_Extension/Human_Growth_Hormone/Homeopathic/?il=1
    ** Do you want links on 10+ directories?
    ** Each directory is on a Unique C-Class IP & range from PR3 to PR5.
    ** If you are interested then Please Submit Your Site...
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Why are they using DMOZ titles now, when they haven't in the past?

Michael
  7. :::::::::::::::::::::
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

they often do..
  9. Contributing User

Michael
    You know, that is a good question. One of my sites is showing up like that and is higher than ever before in the serps, even though the title and description are basically myurl.com and some little blurb for the description, not keyword related to a lot of the serps it is showing up for. It is quite evident that some results are showing dmoz titles/descriptions - would kind of like to know why. Some kind of Google backup? Maybe the site goes down or isn't spidered and they give the benefit of the doubt? For 8 years the site in question has shown proper title, description, etc. the all of a sudden, poof - dmoz stuff - but it ranks better than before. Wierd.

And while I'm here - I have seen some crazy swings in serps over the last week. More than usual. But good on em... It's rewarding my qualitative sites.

Ah - to be clear - all my sites are qualitative
    Last edited by inkjetSEO; Jul 6th, 2006 at 12:01 AM.
  11. Contributing User

Michael
    if the search string is a match for your DMOZ title then Google will show it.. Otherwise your meta title is shown. has ti be ab exact match.
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

The replies so far have missed the point. I'm noticing a seismic shift in the way google is bringing up it's results. My site is 6 years old. It's never shown the dmoz title in all that time until big daddy. Now it's showing the dmoz title on all of MCDAR's datacenters. The kicker in the pot is that in my #3 search term the serps show the metatag title in all of MCDAR's datacenters. It's my guess that big daddy has affected the first two search terms but not yet the third.

But the question remains: how does the shift in showing dmoz titles affect the way we do SEO? Why has my site moved a few spots down and inkjetseo's site moved up a few spots as google reports dmoz titles? Can anyone else speak to these issues?

Michael
  15. Contributing User

Originally Posted by oldmanrunner
    if the search string is a match for your DMOZ title then Google will show it.. Otherwise your meta title is shown. has ti be ab exact match.
    Nope, I am not seeing that at all. I am seeing the dmoz title and description come up for unrelated search terms - terms that my real title/description would have better suited. So that can't be it.