1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Why have I lost my google ranking?

Hello everyone,

We own a small ecosensitive resort on the island of Roatan in Honduras.
    Our website is three years old ww.roatanpearl.com

I do all the website maintenance and search engine optimization myself but I am not a professional
    webmaster. Our site was ranking very well in google for many keywords but even for the general keyword
    Roatan with the most competition we came up number 9. We also ranked in the top 10 for various other keyword
    searches.

Recently we have been dropped out of google, even if you put our domain in the Google keyword search you won't
    come up with our site.

I believe there could be three possible reasons for this and since I doubt I will ever get any feedback from google
    (I already wrote them) I would appreciate any ideas anyone might have:

1. my old webmaster (before I started to do all the work myself) when he went live with my new domain
    created a redirect from the place where I had my old site to the new one. The adress is:
    roatanet.com/islandpearl. The old site was very small and didn't have any backlinks besides the roatanet so I
    don't know why he did this, and I didn't even know it was there.

It must be noted that the roatanet also hosts my present domain so this means the redirect and the domain were
    on the same servor. I still have it up intil I figure out what to do since it is the only way you can find me in google now.

2. A guy passing through Roatan liked my hotel and decided to link my site to his various different reptile sites which
    isn't really relevant to tourism.

reptirank.com, reptimart.com, reptileforums.com and ssnakes.com

It turns out he didn't just link me to his home page but to all the pages which amounts to aprox 50 0000 pages/links

He also has other unrelated sites linked to these pages and they didn't suffer any penalties.

3. When the webmaster created my site (the same who did the redirect) he put in hidden links to pages that had different
    mispellings. I actually enjoyed a good rank with google even with these hidden links but I was
    recommended to take them out. I decided to link these pages to my website since some of them had a good ranking but they
    were pretty much the same page with a different spelling.

I would appreciate any feedback and any suggestions on how to fix this so I can get reindexed into google.
    thanks
    roatanpearl
    Last edited by Roatanpearl; Jan 4th, 2005 at 12:38 AM. Reason: I would like to take out all links
  3. blog.brightonvibes.com
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

I thought this sounded familiar...

http://forums.seochat.com/t19056/s.html&highlight=roatanpearl

For anyone that wants a read.
  5. blog.brightonvibes.com

A quote from the other post:

"
    The site is not banned

do site:domain.com in google - there are 50 pages there

If you search for roatan pearl

you get this at #3

www.roatanpearl.com/roatan-accommodation.html

you may have tripped a dup content filter

Why people try and trick the SEs is beyond me especially when everyone knows about dup content and the fact it gets banned -mas:

"

TTFN
    Dave
  7. blog.brightonvibes.com

Also

http://www.google.co.uk/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&q=site%3Aroatanpearl%2Ecom

You are not banned

also, if you search for
    "Roatan Island Pearl Beach"
    it comes up with

Roatan Island Pearl Beach Front Diving & Fishing Resort, Bay ... Roatan Island Pearl is an intimate Caribbean Beach Front resort in the Bay Islands of Honduras that offers beautiful diving, snorkeling, fishing and an ...
    www.roatanet.com/islandpearl/ - 7k - Cached - Similar pages

Which when clicked goes onto your domain name. Google will sort things out as and when it wants, however possibly moving the redirect from the old domain name may help google "jog" your main domain into its rightful position.

TTFN
    Dave
  9. blog.brightonvibes.com

And "Fishing at Island Pearl" does the same. As long as users are getting to your site it shouldnt matter which domain they come through really.

And if google decides that your main domain name is more important it will adjust as required. Just get more backlinks to the http://www.roatanpearl.com/ domain etc.

TTFN
    Dave
  11. No Profile Picture

There are two pages left on google one of which you have found
    roatanpearl.com/roatan-accomodation.html (guess this spelling is the one it liked best)

and the other is testimonial page that comes up with the search "Roatan Resorts"

"however possibly moving the redirect from the old domain name may help google "jog" your main domain into its rightful position."
    I don't quite understand what you mean by this?

I know that you can still find me with the redirect roatanet.com/islandpearl but if that is why
    I get penalised then shouldn't I take it out?

I didn't realize that there was already a post about my site, it seems that there wasn't much concrete critism though since there seemed to be an issue with posting links.

Do you think google didn't like the 50 thousand links pointing to my site or that wouldn't be a reason google penalizes?

Thanks alot for the input,
    roatanpearl
  13. blog.brightonvibes.com

Links pointing to your site are a good thing.

Neither site at the moment should be causing any issue to google as you simply moved a site and put a redirect in place.

Google may take some time to update the pages it has indexed and remove the old ones
    http://www.google.co.uk/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&q=site%3Aroatanpearl%2Ecom
    But it will do it, you just have to wait.

Forget about the old site and simply concertrate on the new domain and pretend the otherone doesnt exist. There is nothing you can do really to speed up googles decision making, just keep getting links to your main domain and add new content whenever you can.

Hope that is clearer for you.

TTFN
    Dave
    Last edited by sunnymonkey; Dec 14th, 2004 at 11:19 AM.
  15. blog.brightonvibes.com

Also I would read through the forums about doing the SEO to your main site.

E.g.
    http://www.roatanpearl.com/roatan-restaurant.html

The title could be improved, add meta tags, add some more keyword rich content.

Its all here in the forums, check the "newbie" guides too!

TTFN
    Dave
  17. No Profile Picture

Thanks for all your answers, I will work on getting more quality links, and adding more content to my site.
    I already receive alot of search engine newsletters and I have read up alot on proper search engine techniques but
    I will read more.
    What I still am unsure of is if I can leave this redirect in here forever or if eventually when my site is reindexed into google
    if I should then take it out.

I haven't optimized my restaurant page because we have temporarily closed it so I took out all the titles and metatags and description tags.

I have tried to put in good title, description and meta tags aswell as as much keyword rich content that seems readable on all the other pages on the site.

thanks again for your input and time,
    roatanpearl