1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Contests as Backlink Source

If I were to have a contest and offer small prizes, not cash, for a shout out from bloggers, or for user to submit a review for an item on my site ... will this be perceived as black hat and get me penalized? I would make no requirements of keywords or language used in the backlink.
    Last edited by eeyipes; Dec 2nd, 2012 at 02:58 PM.
  3. B afraid.. B very afraid!
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Land of enchantment... deserts of the Southwest
    Originally Posted by eeyipes
    ... will this be perceived as black hat and get me penalized?
    Not unless you get caught. It is called link bait. Almost all link bait for backlinks involves some kind of incentive. Out and out cash purchase of links are much easier to catch. Your method, if done right, is just good marketing.
    ...Never mistake activity for achievement...

...Wise men don't need advice. Fools won't take it....
    Benjamin Franklin
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Originally Posted by SEO_AM
    Not unless you get caught. It is called link bait. Almost all link bait for backlinks involves some kind of incentive. Out and out cash purchase of links are much easier to catch. Your method, if done right, is just good marketing.
    Got it. Really, what I'm offering is small handmade trinkets, nothing of real monetary value, just tokens of appreciation. It'd be a short run offer, here and there, when I have time for it. I'm not looking for mass quanities of backlinks from it, just hopefully a few a week. I think I will give a whirl, and leave all "contest" and "winning" type language out of it.
  7. -
    SEO Chat Super Hero (2500 - 2999 posts)

I tired to do a competition for bloggers.. it didn't go so well.

Fashion bloggers are getting pretty savvy when it comes to giving out links, they ask for mucho $.

If I were you id just give out as many pieces as you can afford to the popular bloggers and hopefully they will include it in an outfit with a link. Also of course the value will be getting known and out there as much as the link itself.

ps. I gave a $150 dress to a blogger, she wore it in a post.. didn't mention us or say where the dress was from, let alone give us a link.

We had agreed before giving her the dress that she must mention it's from us and give a link to the product.. I emailed her asking her to add it, nothing back.

Fashion bloggers cry foul so loudly if any company dare not treat them professionally.. whilst they themselves run their blogs like a business and act however bratty they want. </rant>
    Last edited by DarrenHaye; Dec 2nd, 2012 at 04:31 PM.
    I am always ready to learn although I do not always like being taught. ~Winston Churchill
  9. SEO Since 97
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Like Tickle says...it's not illegal unless ya get caught.
    (source moonshiners)