1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Question Why doesn't googlebot access my home page regularly?

My site has been up or two years, but recently had a major overhaul with the new content going live about 3 weeks ago. Problem is that Googlebot last accessed my home page at the end of novemeber, so the google cache of my website and index of pages is all my old site. Does anyone know of reason googlebot hasn't accessed my home page since november? Or am I being impatient?
  3. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

Are you signed up for Google webmaster tools? If not get an account and submit a site map. I assume withthe overhaul the index page extension is the same or you provided a redirect to the new one. I would think you would have been reindexed by now if you have a lot of links pointing to it.
    Keyword Meta Questions Answered
    HTAccess Redirects

Adversity is a spice when added to life makes the dish more interesting.

A magic marker is a SEO's "Easy Button".
  5. No Profile Picture

Red face

Hi

Yes, i've got a wemaster account and sublitted a sitemap (but only today) The index page is the same as it always was so there should be no problem there. I suppose the main problem I have is the lack of external links I have to my site. I am now on he case of trying to improve links, but with a commercial site this doesn't seem to be that easy. I have heard that google penalises you if you get links from sites that are not of similar content etc?

Is the lacK of external links a possible reason that googlebot hasn't accessed my home page since november?

Thanks for your reply. I'm new to this so am impressed by speed of the replies!
  7. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

Google is not going to penalize you for link building. There are a ton of free directories you can submit to as a start. Yes, the lack of incoming links IS the reason Google has not reindexed your site. Keep reading this forum, there is a ton to learn but at least the reading is not boring, there are some entertaining people here.

Comments on this post

• gazzahk agrees : yep.. never boring
  9. No Profile Picture

Wink Link exchange

Originally Posted by NavyCS
    Google is not going to penalize you for link building. There are a ton of free directories you can submit to as a start. Yes, the lack of incoming links IS the reason Google has not reindexed your site. Keep reading this forum, there is a ton to learn but at least the reading is not boring, there are some entertaining people here.
    Thanks a lot for that. At least now I know what to concentrate on! Tis useful this chatting. Hopefully I will pick up useful info I can pass back onto other users.

Comments on this post

• gazzahk agrees : welcome to the forum. Thats a great attitude
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Originally Posted by mhallam
    My site has been up or two years, but recently had a major overhaul with the new content going live about 3 weeks ago. Problem is that Googlebot last accessed my home page at the end of novemeber, so the google cache of my website and index of pages is all my old site. Does anyone know of reason googlebot hasn't accessed my home page since november? Or am I being impatient?
    I think that the frequency google crawls a site is based on how often the site is updated.
    If you havent changed content in 6 months or more then i imagine that google doesnt see the need to crawl.

A site that gets updated frequently, gets crawled frequently as there is a purpose to it.

Once it knows you have updated it may visit again soon to see if this is now a frequent occurance. If not, then it will go back to the same crawl rate as before.