1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Unhappy Why doesn't Google love me?

Hello!
    I feel like back in high school, you know, feeling miserable and sorry for myself because Google doesn't like my website.

I have this little Emma Thompson fan website at http://www.samcabrera.net/emma/. I used to have PR 4 in another url, instead of .net it was .com, but my old webhosting company failed to renew it on time and it went into the "redemption" period. I didn't want to spent 40 on buying it back from redemption because, quite frankly, that's half my annual hosting budget and I am not making a profit from my hobby. I thought that, because it was my own name (silly me), nobody would try to register that domain name and I could get it back after the redemption period for the same money as before (under 9). But somebody did register it before I had the chance and now my old domain points to some webdirectory.

Now in my new url, with the same content (more up to date, of course) and some new back links (which I have done as much as I could to boost up), I had a closer look at my seo techniques (following advice in this forum). I rethought the h1 and h2 tags, I tried to boost keyword density, I got rid of the splash index page, I tried to get as many links back as possible from related websites...

I cannot think of anything else I could do, but I have dissapeared completely from Google and all the other search engines (my goal is to come up at least in the first or second page when you are looking for the keywords "Emma Thompson"). I have used up a voucher that my new webhost gave me to sign up for Google Adwords program, which so far helps out a little bit but it's not a permanent solution (it will run out in a month and I don't have the budget to keep it up).

The google bot came back to my website on August 26th once I had finished implementing the seo techniques that I learned in this forum and I still cannot see any improvements to the search ranking. I know that the PR will be updated shortly according to some members predictions, so I am not so worry about it, but what about my search results?

What else can I do?

If you have any ideas, I would be very grateful.
    Please, help me to get Google to love me!
    Last edited by Jason; Aug 29th, 2004 at 07:34 AM. Reason: link removal
  3. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Similar Experience

Google is not the one at fault here. The host who did not renew domain name or notify you do to so is the guilty party.

I am going through similar experience with a client. He purchased his own domain name and failed to renew it. I first realiized something was wrong when DigitalPoint keyword tracker showed keywords falling off face of earth. When I checked found his domain name had expired. Notified him and he did not pay to redeem so now he is suffering the consequences.

Now think we are in holding pattern trying to get our sites reindexed under new domain names. As you know indexing takes time.

Have you notified all the webmasters who have backlinks to your site in the old name of the change in domain name? I have done so and am beginning to see Google find the change in domain name through those backlinks.

If you were listed in DMOZ suggest you contact them immediately about updating your listing before they drop you.

I have also started a link campaign attempting to get new backlinks from directories that accept free inclusion.

Good luck and watch out for domain name scams if you are managing your domain name. I have had a client scammed by a registrar implying he was about to loose his domain name unless he sent money immediately. Took multiple e-mails, calls, and complaint to FCC to get his money back.

Shannon
    Last edited by Shannon Smyrl; Aug 28th, 2004 at 03:50 PM.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

New sites often take quite some time before they rank for anything. If you're doing this purely as a hobby this should be no problem. Just improve/add content daily and gather new links, and notify old linking partners of the change as Shannon suggests.
  7. Canine

I think getting other sites to link back is probably the most important thing in getting google to take notice. Hopefully, the sites linking to your old domain will update the links if you ask them.
  9. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Smile Backlinks

I have, of course, asked as many websites as I could think of that still had my old domain name, but there is still some of them that haven't updated in a while. I guess I just have to be patient.