1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Why do SE give preference to .html extension over .php extension?

There is talk/evidence that SE give preference to .html extension over .php extension.

To what degree? How crucial is it to have .html? Info?

Thank you all...
  3. Contributing User
    SEO Chat High Scholar (3500 - 3999 posts)

Originally Posted by InGearX
    Why do SE give preference to .html extension over .php extension?
    Short answer...they don't give preference to .html over php.

However, if .php is followed by a long dynamic string of characters, then that may cause problems in getting the page indexed.

(blah.php?id=2928334948382922&xyz=eivmei&abc=39382 kd983)

Comments on this post

• jrothra agrees : This can result in the appearance of preferential treatment.
    • WilliamC agrees : Dead on target D.
    • rmccarley agrees : and because I finally could. DD makes some of the best posts, I've been diggin through them - highly reccomended! :)
    • gabs agrees : :d
  5. <-- No I am not Kermit
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

I'd be curious to see this 'evidence' of SE's giving higher SERPs or priority to .html pages over .php. My experience and understanding is different.

I agree with DD here... I see no preference one way or the other. The only problem with .php (and .asp, .jsp, and other dynamic pages) is if the URL results in a long string of stuff after a question mark, sort of like this: http://forums.seochat.com/newreply.php?do=newreply&noquote=1&p=278228 (that's the URL for my screen to reply to your post). Everything after the .php will cause problems and make it look like SE's don't like .php. Rather, they don't like long dynamic-page URLs.
    SEO Tips

SEO Consulting $50/hr - IM me for details *** PayPal available
  7. SEO Earthquake!
    SEO Chat Scholar (3000 - 3499 posts)

All 3 SEs mention that extension doesn't matter.

Which is BS (think multimedia), but there is no difference between .htm .html .php .asp et al.

I think Donna nailed it. The string used can make things more difficult and give that appearance. They don't call her "Dazzlin" for nothing!
    14th Colony: The hardest working websites online!

Looking for links? Join the Union and don't miss English Grammar rules, tips and explanations
  9. SEO Professional

I completely agree with Donna on this one. Always know how to explain things well D.

Brad
    P.S. How do you post those little "footer agree/disagree post thingies"?

Comments on this post

• tfbpa agrees : Next to postnumber on the top right of each post, pictures is a.... scale?
    Get Your FREE SEO Guide on how I managed to grab the #1 position on Google
    for hundreds of extremely competitive keywords...

==> Get FREE Google Ranking Guide Here!
  11. visiting Margaritaville
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

Originally Posted by InGearX
    There is talk/evidence that SE give preference to .html extension over .php extension.
    There are always theories tossed out. However I have yet to see any evidence at all showing the above is true.

Comments on this post

• Highland agrees : Yep. If you want to assert this is true post up some examples
  13. Extremely Googled

Keep in mind that Google is no fool. page.html vs page.php means nothing. A mod rewrite can make a PHP page seem like a normal HTML page. And there's no difference to the external viewer because both are fed HTML.
  15. <--sharing means caring
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

I don't let the search engines see an extension on the home page. When first starting out, I heard that .html was better and in order to not show my .php I did a mod rewrite, or just configured the apache server to run php code in html pages.
    After doing this for a couple of years, I tried just using the php extension to see what would happen. Nothing bad ever came of it. Now, just to be on the safe side and out of habit, I link all of the pages going back to home to www.domain.com, and not just index.***.
    Not only does this help with not allowing Google to see the extension, but when used together with a domain.com to www.domain.com mod_rewrite, it helps keep all of the PR on the one page, instead of having it different for domain.com and domain.com/index.html.
  17. visiting Margaritaville
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

Originally Posted by AltherrWeb
    Now, just to be on the safe side and out of habit, I link all of the pages going back to home to www.domain.com, and not just index.***.
    Not only does this help with not allowing Google to see the extension, but when used together with a domain.com to www.domain.com mod_rewrite, it helps keep all of the PR on the one page, instead of having it different for domain.com and domain.com/index.html.
    Very good habit too.
  19. SEO Chat Skiller (1500 - 1999 posts)

Even better is to make sure that index.php/index.html/home.htm/etc are 301'd to the top host domain. That way, even if someone does get to that page, it won't get indexed and the link love will go towards strengthening the single, canonical homepage.

Comments on this post

• WilliamC agrees : Quite true.
    • AltherrWeb agrees : I agree in theory, but how would somebody get to that, unless they typed it in?
    CEO & Co-founder of SEOmoz