1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Why do people republish articles if google...

I am wondering why in this day and age, a webmaster would want to republish an article that someone else has written on their website if the article is a copy of something that has already been crawled ( meaning google will only see it as dup content), the outbound link only techincally serves the site they are linking to ( possibly draining PR on that page) and there is a chance that the site they are linking to could be up to tricks making them a bad neighbour to link to?.

I do realise that some webmasters want to republish articles purely for their readers, but surely there is 'meant' to be more of a benefit?

Comments on this post

• EGOL agrees : This is exactly why i don't republish those articles on my sites.
  3. I Never Finish Anythi
    SEO Chat Super Hero (2500 - 2999 posts)

An Article when submitted to various websites or article directories provides you with inbound links( as they distribute your articles to various other sources ) and as in other threads i learnt that inbound links to your site dont harm u until you reciprocate them..the main aim of submitting article is to get a link..

agreed that some webmasters want to republish articles purely for their readers but i guess there are very few who dont wanna earn a link with some huge pages filled with words..

i think it wont be considered as a duplicate content until someone tries to publish it as his/her website content without making any changes..

regards

Comments on this post

• kk bhakuni agrees
    Link Diary - Build Links Fast & Easy. Similar to Linkmarket, with option of three way link exchange and anchor rotation.

**"Save SEO Industry - GO VIRAL!! - Tips and Tricks ."**
    **"Live, not just to survive, But to Rule."**
  5. Banned
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

Originally Posted by lovekills_s
    An Article when submitted to various websites or article directories provides you with inbound links( as they distribute your articles to various other sources ) and as in other threads i learnt that inbound links to your site dont harm u until you reciprocate them..the main aim of submitting article is to get a link..
    regards
    Agrees, One more thing i would like to add the relevancy of backlink. The BLs from articles are relevant and from a page u don't find too much links. Thats the benefite i think.
  7. Super Moderator
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

If you read this thread please vote in this poll
    ClickyB
    "The quality of the visitor is more important than the volume..." (Egol 22nd Feb 2008)
    [New to SEO/SeoChat?] [Canonical Problems?] [Forum Rules & Posting Guidelines]
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by lovekills_s

agreed that some webmasters want to republish articles purely for their readers but i guess there are very few who dont wanna earn a link with some huge pages filled with words..

i think it wont be considered as a duplicate content until someone tries to publish it as his/her website content without making any changes..

regards

The question i am asking is not why would i as a webmaster want to distribute my article. Obvoulsy it is going to benefit me if people reprint it with a link etc..

I am asking why people want to publish that article on their site for all the reasons i mentioned above.
  11. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

It is probably not a bad idea to have others republish your articles if they link back to you. On the other hand there is a possible 'google bomb' waiting to happen if lost of low quality links point back to you and Google thinks that these sites are low quality and begins to remove any PR that they might be passing to you.

For example... I made a stupid quip about Paris Hilton on one of my blogs, it was RSS'd and re-posted on a few sites. Boom. Tons of links and I started getting some rankings for Paris Hilton related keywords. (GAH). After those sites were KOd by the G, my site lost alot of PR and started dropping back to where it should be in Paris Hilton related searches (off the map).
  13. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Hero (2000 - 2499 posts)

Originally Posted by cunning_stunt
    I am wondering why in this day and age, a webmaster would want to republish an article that someone else has written on their website if the article is a copy of something that has already been crawled ( meaning google will only see it as dup content), the outbound link only techincally serves the site they are linking to ( possibly draining PR on that page) and there is a chance that the site they are linking to could be up to tricks making them a bad neighbour to link to?.
    I do realise that some webmasters want to republish articles purely for their readers, but surely there is 'meant' to be more of a benefit?
    What I find really disturbing is the fact they republish without giving any credit or link to the original author, now that is basically Black Hat without understanding Black Hat. They simply spend time ripping off something that is of no value to them; how smart.

raz
    #include <Cognac.h> -The only code I know How to Write!
  15. I Never Finish Anythi
    SEO Chat Super Hero (2500 - 2999 posts)

One thinking might be.. People think that since this article is pretty much famous out there with the visitors, so lets put it up on our website and get traffic..? might be one of the reason?

Regards
  17. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

you should first publish your article on your site, get it indexed and than submit in various article submission sites.
  19. Contributing User

Originally Posted by cunning_stunt
    I am asking why people want to publish that article on their site for all the reasons i mentioned above.
    I think a lot of people are missing your point. I have also wondered about the value of basically copying other sites' content. For example, there are several sites out there that republish messages posted in forums like SEO Chat. I posted a message in one forum with a link to one of my sites. A couple of weeks later I searched for that post and found several 'forums' with the exact same post.

I'm not complaining as at least MSN and maybe Yahoo see the duplicate posts as links to my site, but is there any value to the dodgy publisher?
    Last edited by saet; Aug 4th, 2006 at 06:38 AM.
  21. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

I would think in most cases it's just a lazy way to bulk up the content of your site without having to go to the trouble of writing it yourself.
    Sussex Barn Dance
    The Hokey Cokey - is that really what it's all about?
  23. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Lightbulb ??

I will say that, if you are considering article publishing as duplicate content, then in the case of directories submission, it is just many times duplicate content on the whole web, what does it mean?

Do google take it also as a duplicate content.

Archana
  25. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

For all its supposed expertise in duplicate content checking, Google will often index the same article many times over. Just as an example search for "turbo-charge rocket ride up the search engine" (leave the quotes in).
  27. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by john alphaone
    For all its supposed expertise in duplicate content checking, Google will often index the same article many times over. Just as an example search for "turbo-charge rocket ride up the search engine" (leave the quotes in).
    Yes I know I see this. It repeat the indexing many times for same content.

Well thanks