1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Question Why am I ranking better for one word kw's compared to two word kw's?

Hi all,

I've been surfing the datacenters (those that are online) and I've noticed that in many cases I am ranking higher for single keywords opposed two a keyword phrase of two words.

Example: I optimized for: Online Widgets

Sites SERP for "online widgets" = no where to be found

But, sites SERP for "widgets" = positions 2, 10, 15, 16, 20...

Is this because of the Florida filter targeting ultra-competitive 2 word KW phrases, or am I missing the boat somewhere on KW stemming?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!
  3. Super Moderator
    SEO Chat Super Hero (2500 - 2999 posts)

I don't know for sure about you being hit by Florida but ranking well for one word keywords is an accomplishment, generally it is easier to rank well for phrases rather than single words. how about three word phrases how are you ranking for them? Did you ever rank well for your two word phrases? Florida seemed to hit "commercial" two word phrases and also geographic words. Keep in mind that your phrase should be varied only mentioned in a few key places and try splitting the words apart and inverting the phrase.
  5. Contributing
    SEO Chat Hero (2000 - 2499 posts)

Re: Why am I ranking better for one word kw's compared to two word kw's?

Originally posted by bpmee

But, sites SERP for "widgets" = positions 2, 10, 15, 16, 20...
    Position 2 and 10 ?
    Usually you would have 2 and 3.
    Is 10 a satellite page or someting like that ?
    Disclaimer : My posts on SEO are just from my observations and I do not say it is a true fact... A real fact of life is that, I'm often wrong...
  7. Savior of the Whales
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

hello bpmee ... we have also noticed in our categories that some single word terms were originally trashed in florida ... then it seems the filter was applied again but differently .... so my bet is google has been strugling to apply the filter to single words .... like search "home" ... millions of sites have a link that says "home" ... meaning their home page .... not a buiding to live in ..... there are many of those kind of one word examples ....
  9. Savior of the Whales

ps ... for the record ... we saw some single word terms trashed ... then the filter appearently lifted all together .... then finally applied again but differently back on the 7th of this month .....
  11. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

I have also seen this with my sites.

One site I am targeting two word phrase untill the second Florida hit I had dominated #2 in Google, now I am #92.

But for each word I am in the top 10
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

I started a thread about this a few days ago and no one responded. I have noticed this for a few weeks now.

There is a HUGE difference between ranking well for a 2 word keyword that is an "extension" of a one word keyword and ranking well for a 2 word keyword that doesn't come from a one word keyword.

What I mean by this is, if my main keyword is shirts. I rank well for shirts alone which is a large keyword. But a smaller keyword is "blue shirts" "red shirts" etc. Sort of like adding an adjective to the beginning of your main keyword.

But what about the keywords that are 2 word keywords and don't mean anything if you rank well for one of the words. Such as "calling card", calling wouldn't do anything and neither would card alone.

I think it's a lot harder to get ranked for those keywords and wanted to know if anyone had any success in good 2 word keywords that are larger together than if you just got ranked for one of the 2 words.
  15. Savior of the Whales

from what i see it is just a matter of what search terms are on g's "filter list" .... and if your site is tagged as bad for that particular filter ..... example: if widget for sale" is on the filter list and you are filtered you do not show ..... but "widget" may not be on their list of filtered terms so for that term you can not be filtered out since they are not filtering it to start with .... it goes the other way also ... if you look for "blue widgets for sale" and that term is not on g's list, then you may show for it even if you are filtered on the widgets for sale term .... this is consistent with what we see ... i can still see many of the old non-filtered results by doing an exact search ... ie widgets +for +sale ... but for some searches that does not yield the old results, i am not sure why .... but i think they are gradually advancing their filter to apply even to the exact searches ...... maybe that is why they are taking such a long downtime on the datacenters is to broaden the application of their filters immensly ......
  17. Registered User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

I really don't know what to think anymore with Google but I've experienced the same issue on my site. I was top 5 for a few 2 keyword searchs and suddenly all that was left was the one main keyword.

It is really puzzling me. I can see other sites that were with me at the start of november and they are still there and I'm gone. Not sure why. It is really a tough one to figure out.

I don't know if it is a filter, a links issue, a relative PR issue or what. It is just a tough one to figure out.

Still scratching the head.

Good luck.