Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Who is above you now?

When going through something last night -- we noticed that the sites that were actually moved ahead of us, are leader pages....not the actual sites.

For example: www.newyork.pinkwidgets.com
    and..
    www.newyork.bluewidgets.com

These are the pages (which I have never seen before) that we placed in the top two spots and I was moved to third.
    Anyone have a similar experience with this?
  3. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Hero (2000 - 2499 posts)

This is for a competitive money term and my main site is at number two. The one above me has not changed, I have stayed in the same second spot, but most everyone below me has changed.

What I see in those results which is kind of similar to your observation is that almost all of them are 3rd and 4Th level pages from mega sites with little relevant content of a couple of keywords in a page of around 150 words basically saying "me to call us".

I have resisted posting this till now because I am waiting for the results to stabilize.

Will do a complete analysis over the weekend and post.

raz
    #include <Cognac.h> -The only code I know How to Write!
  5. Contributing User

Tiffany - I'd be curious to learn more about those leader pages that are ahead of you.....what kind of BL profile are they showing (check yahoo)? Do you see any other reason why they might have jumped ahead?
  7. Contributing User

Continued from post #2
    Tiffany, forgot to mention that the most bizarre result is in the forth place and the page is from a sub directory “Capital.ups.com/solutions/My_Keyword”. UPS obviously has a lot of back links, but not a single one is related to the subject by any stretch of imagination, the sub domain has no BLs to speak of and the page is a half baked 100 word page saying yeh we can do that call us…
    raz
  9. Go OSU Beavers!
    SEO Chat Skiller (1500 - 1999 posts)

I'm seeing quite a lot of larget companies being above me that were not above before. Many of them are subdomains of larget companies.
    - Scott Fish, Director of SEO | SEO Blog | Tweet | Linkedin
    Doing SEO for Fortune 500 companies for the last 8 years.
  11. Contributing User

Originally Posted by scottfish
    I'm seeing quite a lot of larger companies being above me that were not above before. Many of them are subdomains of larget companies.
    I was actually hoping that someone will contradict me and show that my observation is just a coincidence.

If that is a real phenomenon then we are all screwed!

Add Google's preference for a site's age to it's new found love for the mega sites and we have no business launching new sites any more!

I only hope that I am dead wrong.

raz
  13. Contributing User

Scottfish -

Same thing here --- These are two very large (National sites) and my site is a local site.
    Interestingly enough.....both of the "sites" have been replaced by these two leader pages. The other "two sites" which were previously runners up -- have disappeared.

IE: www.bluewidgets.com has been replaced by: newyork.bluewidgets.com

and --

www.redwidgets.com has been replaced by: newyork.redwidgets.com

I was hearing the trends on all of the different sites and wanted to make sure that people that really knew their serp results were actually realizing that these "seemingly the same" sites were actually nothing but leaders or internal pages.

Another interesting thing: The other serps below are identical to what they were --- only the top 3 have been shuffled. Seems the same with you Raz --- the same shuffle -- just below you.

hmmmmm.....

HN Will -- I am going to look into it and post my findings =)
  15. Contributing User

Ok -- this is really interesting.

Both sites that now rank above me are using sub domains pointed to one another. Each page is identical other than the areas are changed within each sub.IE:
    newyork.bluewidgets.com
    tampa.bluewidgets.com
    atlanta.bluewidgets.com

One is showing 111 of them and the other site is showing 993. Both are showing all subdomains as backlinks. As I stated previously, they are both national sites.
    Last edited by Tiffany*; Oct 18th, 2005 at 09:54 PM.
  17. Contributing User

Check the sites that have magically appeared. Check ANY site that was not on your personal serps previously and please post here if you find this to be true. The more research I am doing the more I am finding that these subdomains are having a large impact for some reason.

Ok...now that I am looking for them -- they are all over the PLACE...these stupid sub domains are being given a huge boost....I have sites that have come from NOWHERE and they are now on the front page displaying these subdomain results.

Please look at your specific results ---
    Last edited by Tiffany*; Oct 18th, 2005 at 10:03 PM.
  19. Contributing User
    SEO Chat High Scholar (3500 - 3999 posts)

Sounds like deja vu. Can't remember which update it was...florida, bourbon, who knows... but at some point...maybe a year or two ago, subdomains of large sites dominated one of the updates. At that point, everyone created subdomains instead of folders. Then another update came along, and G no longer loved subdomains. Same story also for sites like amazon, ebay, etc. A lot of people are saying those are showing up again, and that is deja vu as well. Feels like cyclical updates.
  21. Contributing User

The sub domains are dominating everything that I see. I am doing searches for all kinds of things and there they are -- plain as day.
  23. Go OSU Beavers!
    SEO Chat Skiller (1500 - 1999 posts)

Tiffany,
    It seems like you and I have the same SERPs! lol
    Well I suppose it's really no laughing matter, and I guess we better get to building more subdomains for our sites!

I really have to wonder how these megasites are getting so high! I guess they have the budgets - I have seen a few megasite product listings that are in the form of text links on sites such as howstuffworks.com the pages that I'm referring to are PR6+ and I currently am running ads on the same section for $60 / month.

I guess thats these mega sites are doing - cross text link advertising - I could see this happening especially with their budgets!
  25. Contributing User

Scott-

Just gotta love SEO. Sure keeps you on your toes =) I can not complain about anything, I have been Queen of the hill for over a year. Guess its time to win back my rightful seat =)
  27. Contributing User

Here is an idea; lets get together, and create an off the wall domain name then put all our websites contents into subdomains of that one site and direct all the BL's that we have to that one site... Imagine 15 of us contributes 3 sites each of say 100 pages of content/site and each builds just one content page every two weeks and wallah! A 4500 content page site, that's growing at a rate of a page a day...with everyone's subdomain kicking A**...!

raz
  29. visiting Margaritaville
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

Bah you should have suggested that 24 hours ago, we are already 75,000 pages and 400+ subdomains ahead of you.
    Last edited by WilliamC; Oct 18th, 2005 at 11:02 PM.
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo