1. Dinosaur
    SEO Chat High Scholar (3500 - 3999 posts)

when is mobile friendly not mobile friendly

OK been reading a lot recently about mobile UX.

The issue comes with if creating a site that is responsive and renders and pass's the google mobile test it apparently is not enough.

My main concern is when you display a list or a grid of lets say products but basically could be any search results.
    On a desktop this renders perfectly fine and when displayed on a mobile device its responsive so the products appear as a list along with images price etc.

If normally you display for example 100 products the list on the mobile becomes really lengthy and although will pass the mobile test its really a poor user experience.
    The worry is having on the mobile such a long page that could that be picked up as a negative as most of the content would be below the fold?

I have been hunting around for a good example of what to do with a UX when displaying a grid based results set on a mobile but so far failed..

I am not convinced lazy loading is the answer as that's just delaying the lengthy page.
    As there is no reliable method of determining the users device I was wondering if anyone has seen a responsive site who has cracked this issue without having to resort to creating an app or a separate mobile designed page.

Any thoughts on the subject most welcome.

Owner of Page Explorer the page onsite SEO checker
    Useful Tools: Site Statistics: SEM Rush | Site Crawler: Screaming Frog | Free SSL: Cloudflare
  3. the mango demon
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

Amazon and similarly many other eCommerce giants have faced this problem years ago and they have done many trials and errors before deciding that the best way to handle mobile traffic is through native apps and not responsive site. If conversion is important a responsive site is never going to be sufficient. It may be good enough for service providers but for product sellers there is a big difference between a valid mobile page and a successful mobile page.
    To the best of my mobile UX knowledge I think the best way to replace a grid from desktop is a Swipe enabled Small List in Mobile.
    SEO Professionals in NewDelhi It is different. Don't believe me? Go check yourself.
  5. Contributing User

This is a very good point and probably an area I will be needing to look at next (been snowed under with responsive work just to get many clients to first base).

What about loading the first five products and then load the remaining ones in an ajax fired div that brings in further content based on screen size?
  7. Dinosaur

Totally agree, first base should be it works on a mobile device even if its not optimized for conversion.
    I tend to use bootstrap on my sites so that handles a lot of the technical side of things and takes care of the tedious CSS requirements to conform to a mobile standard.

Interesting NewDelhiSEO response of using swipe instead of scroll suggestion, To me on its own that's just taking a long list and making it horizontal instead of vertical, It maybe a more natural interface for a user but not sure it solves the issue totally. I think icons would be needed to indicate there are more products to the left or right.

The loading a few products and using a ajax call to gather more from doodled is a nicer approach but that's basically lazy loading. That could be implemented vertically or horizontally I dont see that as a major issue.

The win side of lazy loading is the bandwidth required to get the first products being displayed, it should be really quick for the users as there are not hundreds of images being loaded all at once. .

There is a SEO concern though, I would hope google would render the full page so the ajax calls get called so the end result would be the same as just presenting a long list of products.

I guess pagination is also an option and using canonical next and prev to link the pages
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

is a long list really a poor experience. Personally i hate having to click next and love the long lists of products. it allows me to see everything, then i use site refinements to narrow down once I've learnt what my interest are?

Comments on this post

• Doodled agrees
  11. Contributing User

Originally Posted by hunter86
    is a long list really a poor experience.
    I've started to lean this way and don't like my original idea at all anymore! What we have is Page Loading Speed vs Comprehensive Content. Google like Comprehensive Content so a lot of content below the fold could be seen as positive even if it is also a signal that the page will take longer to load.

Comments on this post

• hunter86 agrees
  13. Dinosaur

LOL I am glad I am not the only one who is struggling with this one.

Just looking at it from a pure user experience, the lazy load may work better and in my eyes is better than a paged option with pagination. I think the solution could be to pre load before the user reaches to the end so it almost becomes a seamless scroll so display the first 10 products and once the user scrolls past the first 5 it appends the next 10 then once they go past the 15th product it loads another 10 etc if that makes sense.
    I think that is the route I am edging towards but I will knock up some pages and see if I can do some A/B testing to see if it actually has any benefits
  15. the mango demon

I am working on a grid to swipeable list after Chedders question.
    Actually I was facing the same issue.

Lazy loading works when one page has one section of products or one ling section of content.
    But when you have multiple segments of importance one below the other lazy loading fails. We need a two dimentional navigation here.
    Swipe to view more in the current segment.
    Scroll to move to the new segment.

Like chedders said a visual animated swipe icon should suffice to indicate there is more on swipe horizontal.
  17. Dinosaur

I would be interested to see how you implement your solution.