1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

What technical details of a website are gathered by Google?

Hi,

We know tat Google generally collects info about our content and backlinks. I just wonder what are the other touchpoints of Google when accessing a website to improve, drop, penalise or take any other actions on a website? For example, Google may store IP address. What are the similar details it may collect?

Thanks
  3. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Google Also Check your reputation on Social Media Profile that Attached to Your Website .Because Google Webmaster Check where form user redirect on your site .
  5. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Super Hero (2500 - 2999 posts)

Google may or may not collect any and all public information concerning a site.

If the information is public, then consider it is scanned and used by Google. This info could be used to identify a PBN for instance.
    Last edited by KnowOneSpecial; Jan 2nd, 2018 at 11:57 AM. Reason: grammar
  7. Professional SEO
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

If you are wanting to know what information Google uses to rank a site, read their FREE Starter SEO Guide.
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Hi Satish.seo,
    Having a list of the data G collects to help it rank or penalise a web page is pretty useless.

You also need to know:

• How G works?
    • How it uses the data?
    • What the various elements are worth in relative ranking points?
    • When are the weightings of the factors changed and their new values?
    • How G may selectively combine the different ranking factors?
    • What factors G may select to use in a specific search?
    • What is the level of competition for your target search queries?
    • What SEO tactics/strategies are available to you that are unique to your SEO client's site and project?

Can we assume you are at the beginning of your SEO journey? If so, here are some critical start points...

1. DirectHits' ref to Google Starters Guide is here.
    I also tell newbies to start their SEO journey here. The limitations of this document are that it gives no info about the relative importance of the various ranking signals and no info about SEO strategies or tactics.

2. Mar 2016: How Google Works: A Google Ranking Engineer’s Story #SMX
    Watch both the videos linked from this page and use the web page summary to follow them.

You must know the basics before you can start your SEO journey.

Note in the video: Google assesses a page's relevance to the combined ranking value of the individual words in search queries. The exact sequence of words in the query is usually of little importance.

3. Study How People's Search Evolves
    This is a constantly evolving process that needs constant assessment. Unfortunately, detailed and reputable studies are few and far between.
    What has not changed in the 20+ years of 1st & 2nd generation search engines is the number of web pages (10) listed in the SERPs.

Back in 2000 Google was designed to handle searches for an index of 100 million web pages. Folk could mostly find what they wanted with a two word search query. Now G claims to have indexed 130 trillion pages and the average search string has grown to a four word length query to cull out the unwanted search engine dross. Not only that, the growth of voice activated search is extending the search query word length. Your SEO planning now needs to consider how to rank long search queries. Frequently used keywords targeting is now out dated.

The most recent SE user study I know is:

Mar 2017: The State of Searcher Behavior Revealed Through 23 Remarkable Statistics
    You need to think through the SEO tactics and strategy consequences of data like:

#2: How long is the average Google search session?
    "From the time of the initial query to the loading of the search results page and the selection of any results, plus any back button clicks to those SERPs and selection of new results, the all-in average was just under 1 minute"

#4: What percent of Google searches result in a click?
    "66% of distinct search queries resulted in one or more clicks on Google's results. That means 34% of searches get no clicks at all."

#5: What percent of clicks on Google search results go to AdWords/paid listings?
    "It's less than I thought, but perhaps not surprising given how aggressive Google's had to be with ad subtlety over the last few years. Of distinct search queries in Google, only 3.4% resulted in a click on an AdWords (paid) ad. If we expand that to all search queries, the number drops to 2.6%"

#16: What's the distribution of search demand across keywords?
    "The long tail is still very long indeed, with a huge amount of search volume taking place in keywords outside the top 10 million most-searched-for queries"

#20: What percent of queries on Google result in the searcher changing their search terms without clicking any results?
    "The answer is shockingly big: a full 18% of searches lead to a change in the search query!

No wonder Google has made related searches and "people also ask" such a big part of the search results in recent years."

IMHO, If you want to become an SEO and you don't understand how people search, you would be better off quitting the profession and concentrating on being an SEM consultant.

4. What are the Range of SEO Strategies and Tactics?
    I cannot find a single reference article to suggest here. There are "squillions" of articles that use the words "SEO tactics and Strategies" but the only ones I could find are total rubbish.

Anyone got some good SEO tactics/strategies reference articles, please throw them up here so we can review them.
    Last edited by JohnAimit; Jan 7th, 2018 at 05:27 AM.
  11. Professional SEO

Great post JohnAimit,

But one thing I can't believe, that PPC only gets 3.4% of the clicks? Most people I talk to don't know the difference in paid and organic clicks.

And when Google added the fourth Adword listing above Organics, I saw a big drop in my client's organic traffic - maybe 20% or more.

I've also had the #1 Organic result for keywords that get thousands of clicks per month and only end up with maybe a hundred clicks a month from that keyword. The clicks are going somewhere..
    Last edited by DirectHits; Jan 9th, 2018 at 04:27 PM.
  13. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

Originally Posted by DirectHits
    Great post JohnAimit,

But one thing I can't believe, that PPC only gets 3.4% of the clicks? Most people I talk to don't know the difference in paid and organic clicks, so they wouldn't know how to avoid the paid results.

And when Google added the fourth Adword listing above Organics, I saw a big drop in my client's organic traffic - maybe 20% or more.

I've also had the #1 Organic result for keywords that get thousands of clicks per month and only end up with maybe a hundred clicks a month from that keyword. The clicks are going somewhere..
    Moz did something about this last year - https://moz.com/blog/how-google-adwo...rganic-results

They say it's something like between 2-3% of all searches result in a paid click, but it's largely because there's a huge amount of searches with no paid listings at all.

Anything competitive and it's a different story completely.

Comments on this post

• DirectHits agrees : Nice find!
  15. Professional SEO

Originally Posted by IvanDrago
    Moz did something about this last year - https://moz.com/blog/how-google-adwo...rganic-results

They say it's something like between 2-3% of all searches result in a paid click, but it's largely because there's a huge amount of searches with no paid listings at all.

Anything competitive and it's a different story completely.

Now that is totally believable.
  17. Digital Marketing
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Originally Posted by DirectHits
    Great post JohnAimit,

But one thing I can't believe, that PPC only gets 3.4% of the clicks? Most people I talk to don't know the difference in paid and organic clicks, so they wouldn't know how to avoid the paid results.

Most queries don't display paid ads. That's why.

Comments on this post

• DirectHits agrees