1. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Reading these comments leaves me confused.

What should I be looking for an SEO firm to be doing for me in terms of off page seo?

If my website has great content that is unique and informative I understand that it will naturally attract quality links. Does this mean there is no off page seo work to be done?

If Blog comments, directory submissions, article postings etc are no longer as valuable what should I be asking my seo to do for me?

Comments on this post

• DarrenHaye agrees : Moved your post out of the thread & started a new one because you have your own question to ask.
  3. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

SEO is DEAD?

Originally Posted by autolock

What should I be looking for an SEO firm to be doing for me in terms of off page seo?

If my website has great content that is unique and informative I understand that it will naturally attract quality links. Does this mean there is no off page seo work to be done?

If Blog comments, directory submissions, article postings etc are no longer as valuable what should I be asking my seo to do for me?
    You know I have been hearing this for a few weeks now maybe even longer, but so far in my experience this is all far from the truth.
    Link building is far from useless it just needs to be done much smarter and carefully than before.
    Blog comments and directory submission can still work perfectly, but..
    Submitting to just any directory won't work and might even hurt your site.
    You have to make sure that the directory is specific to your market, for instance if you have a dating site, then DO NOT submit to a technology directory. That would not do you any good even if they accepted it.
    If you comment to a blog that has something to do with your industry or market it is still a good link.
    The sites I work on are still rising even in this Panda, Penguin bull.
    I just stay away from the "get rich quick" traffic stuff.
    Black hat stuff will never work for long.
    Article postings in certain industries is awsome, but in others it does nothing.
    Talk to your expert and see what he recommends for your specific site, and then check what he says on forums to get others opinions. If they know what they are doing then it will make sense to others once they know what industry you are in. Industry, niche, market, whatever you want to call it.
    Hope that helps some.
  5. No Profile Picture
    EGOL
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

If you have great content on your site your SEO should have a much easier job of getting fantastic links. However, if you have a really crappy site then you don't need an SEO, you need either a magician or a spammer.

Comments on this post

• subzero27 agrees : To the point
    • Belfast agrees
    • SEO_AM agrees : Long term success requires EXCELLENT content.
    * "It's not the size of the dog in the fight that matters, it's the size of the fight in the dog." Mark Twain
    * "Free advice isn't worth much. Cheap advice is worth even less." EGOL
  7. Contributing User

Originally Posted by EGOL
    If you have great content on your site your SEO should have a much easier job of getting fantastic links. However, if you have a really crappy site then you don't need an SEO, you need either a magician or a spammer.
    This is very true Egol. Assuming a site has great content what type of links are considered worthwhile and effective? Just links from content relevant sites or are any of the old techniques such as directories and blog comments still worthwhile?

Thanks
  9. No Profile Picture
    EGOL

Just links from content relevant sites or are any of the old techniques such as directories and blog comments still worthwhile?
    If I wanted to go after these links I would contact bloggers in the niche and other people who run content sites that are already linking out to outstanding content.

If they are linking out to $hit. Don't bother.

.... And, if your content doesn't make them say "WOW!" then you are wasting your time.
    Last edited by EGOL; Sep 2nd, 2012 at 06:12 PM.
  11. No Profile Picture
    Learning more about SEO

I have to disagree. While yes most of the time humans are going to send links to their friends & family & associates & so on, it depends on the industry. There are some industries where people don't do this & it hurts the company as they don't get natural link building done on their behalf.

Michelle
  13. No Profile Picture

Yes, this sounds like a sound (yet old school, slow and tedious) way to generate good links. I sound bitter because it's slow and tedious.
  15. No Profile Picture

This is actually easy... simply search for the keyword that you want, look at who is already ranking well, then check their back links to figure out who they are linking too... mimic the sources across the top 3 and chances are you will surpass the others...
    try it for a month and see what happens.
  17. justificational oblivion

It looks like there are two inquires here

(i) link development tactics in general
    (ii) link development based on existing linkable assets

(i) link development tactics in general

Honestly, anything that can be algorithmically mapped out will have the switch turned off at some point...with these types of tactics, in some cases it's all just a little bit of history repeating. In the place of article submissions, there are now infographic submissions.

Usually, anything that is programmatically generated strategy is not a long term one because no matter what is done, these leave footprints and can be mapped out. if you're trying to compete with a thin affiliate site and you have a site that you can afford to burn, a short term strategy is fine (although, on a personal note, I have grown to loathe the 30+ daily blog comment spammers I have to deal with -_-).

If you have a legit online business, and not just a network of short term sites (although both are in a sense legitiamite businesses, definitely don't want to hate..but just make the longterm/shorterm business model distinction), then you need to take the longer path. The longer term path is building distribution channels in relevant social channels, hand link dev (yes, dedicating payroll to it). The other option is to externalize the cost and get with one of the higher end agencies, where links are certainly not cheap because they will already have the methods and channels to do it...definitely not the 1,000 links for $100 with any anchor text you want.

More importantly though, think of links as the roof on a house...you don't put the roof on before you have the foundation and walls of the house, which is the onsite work.

The thing is SE's have taken away the easy programmatic shortcuts...now what we're left with is the real marketing and content promotion...which is hard..but also tons of fun (to me at least ).

Some strategies I like for the long term:
    >expert content (targeted to expert audiences in your niche)
    >Guest blogging (with real & relevant websites)
    >Linkbait/infographic strategies (with the right distribution)
    >Actual Online PR + brand building (not to be confused with PR submissions)

(ii) link development based on existing linkable assets

There are different kinds of content a given site will have

>sales copy
    >product copy
    >SEO copy
    >linkable copy

Whether you content attracts links (using content marketing methods) depends on the quality of the fourth kind of copy... as well as the distribution.

hope this gives you some decent ideas

Comments on this post

• PhilipSEO agrees : good points here
  19. SEO Since 97

Ya know this thread is 3 months old. just sayin.

Comments on this post

• whiterabbit agrees : AHHH ...I keep on doing that -_- ...thanks for the call out...I keep on assuming - apparently falsely - that a thread near the top of the Google forum is a new thread...anywhoo. thanks for the callout..
  21. No Profile Picture

True but since link building keeps evolving, I think that there is reason to keep this thread going... What do you think?
  23. -
    SEO Chat Super Hero (2500 - 2999 posts)

Originally Posted by searchgurus
    True but since link building keeps evolving, I think that there is reason to keep this thread going... What do you think?
    I think, start a new thread if you really want to talk about it.

Also please be mindful of thread dates.
    I am always ready to learn although I do not always like being taught. ~Winston Churchill

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo