Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. Digital Marketing
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

What is a quality link?

We all know that Penguin hurt a lot of people. I want to use this thread to have something to point at for people who are still not sure of the difference between a good link and a bad link and maybe save someone from a penguin attack:

Little help is appreciated as I have given this no previous thought and my wife is calling me to dinner (mmmm tilapia)

So let's name as many elements as we can that determines what makes a good link!

1) The theme of the linking page is relevant to the page receiving the link
    2) All the outbound links on the page are pointing to quality relevant sites (not fake ugg boots and Forex trading!)
    3) All the links pointing in to the page sending the link are thematically relevant (this includes internal links from the same domain)
    4) We have not stuffed keywords in our anchor text
    5) There are not a zillion outbound links on the linking page
    6) The text on the page sending the link is unique as well as the text throughout the domain.

What have I forgotten?
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

It's not something you can easily quantify or measure, but one litmus test I prefer to use is "Why does this link exist?" and "Why does this page giving the link exist?"

If the most likely answer for either question is "for seo", it's a bad link IMO. If the most likely answer to either question is "the webmaster thought it would be awesome for site visitors because its a good resource", it's probably a good link (and I would say that even if the linking domain had no backlinks of their own).

I'm qualifying "good" and "bad" here in terms of riskiness, but I'd also clarify that bad links can have value (w/ risk) and good links can have no value.

Great idea for a thread, I'm eager to hear what others have to say on the topic!

Comments on this post

• KernelPanic agrees
  5. Seo Control Panel

@Daniel You are right, but google bot can't completely think like that because it is a program. So that they will mainly check like kernalpanic said using some pre defined values.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by seopanel
    ...google bot can't completely think like that because it is a program. So that they will mainly check like kernalpanic said using some pre defined values.
    I agree to a degree, but I think bots/search engines can def. "think" like that in certain ways:
    - Does the domain giving a link have the word "seo", "rank", "directory", "google", in it?
    - Does the URL have /links, /directory in it?
    - Are there extreme numbers of outbound links from the page but absolutely none coming into the domain?
    - Do visitors to the linking page actually follow any of the links on the page to other sites?
    - Etc.

Those are all very measurable signals that suggest a higher probability of the linking pages and the links themselves to be "unnatural" according to Google.

However, I think one of the larger points being spoken to here in the thread is that people need to STOP building links for bots and search engines. The litmus test I referred to isn't completely black or white, but a reasonable human can discern between the two. In that sense, people need to start building more links AS reasonable humans FOR reasonable humans. If they do that, spiders and bots will pick up on the rest in time.
  9. Traffic drop sleuth. :)
    SEO Chat Hero (2000 - 2499 posts)

The problem with making lists like this is that for the most part, we're completely guessing.

My main criteria for whether or not a link is good is whether it drives legitimate traffic. Now, I believe that there are still links that can count towards your rankings even if they don't drive traffic, but if you can get link that people are actually clicking on then you know you've got a good link.

Comments on this post

• Kevin H agrees
    New: Learn SEO - A complete course for beginners:LEARN SEO
    Want to hire a reputable SEO? I'll connect you with an SEO company you can trust.
  11. B afraid.. B very afraid!

Land of enchantment... deserts of the Southwest
    Think upstream and downstream links: The linking page, if the links are "good", will have valid & trusted relevant links linking to that page (upstream) and the linking page will link to valid & trusted relevant pages (downstream). Hard to determine, but it is really a link-chain of relevancy + trust, both upstream and downstream.

Comments on this post

• KernelPanic agrees : good one
  13. Digital Marketing

Originally Posted by Dr.Marie
    The problem with making lists like this is that for the most part, we're completely guessing.
    Some might be guessing, some are not. That's the reason for the post.
    Last edited by KernelPanic; Feb 22nd, 2014 at 01:45 PM.
  15. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

The above pretty much covers a good link from an SEO perspective; and given the forum we're in, fair enough.

But, broken record time for anyone who has seen my comments before.

If you are stuck for ideas on which links are worth having - here is my opinion:

Have a link where your potential customers are, and are:

1/ LIKELY to see it (good visibility on reputable, busy sites. Directories, blogs, paid, unpaid - doesn't matter)
    2/ LIKELY to want to click on it (relevant, in good copy, nice graphic, whatever)
    3/ LIKELY to be a good lead/do business visit

SEO is a sub-set of marketing, no more, no less. If the link is LIKELY to bring you business it is almost certainly a good link - and if it benefits your SEO also, BONUS!

--- edit ----
    Don't how I missed it Dr Marie - but basically just echoed you....

Comments on this post

• KernelPanic agrees
    Last edited by Kevin H; Feb 26th, 2014 at 04:34 AM.
    Freelance SEO and Web Developer
    Latest Clients Home Discount and Printed Products
  17. Digital Marketing

Well said Kevin! Thanks for the contribution
  19. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by KernelPanic
    We all know that Penguin hurt a lot of people. I want to use this thread to have something to point at for people who are still not sure of the difference between a good link and a bad link and maybe save someone from a penguin attack:

Little help is appreciated as I have given this no previous thought and my wife is calling me to dinner (mmmm tilapia)

So let's name as many elements as we can that determines what makes a good link!

1) The theme of the linking page is relevant to the page receiving the link
    2) All the outbound links on the page are pointing to quality relevant sites (not fake ugg boots and Forex trading!)
    3) All the links pointing in to the page sending the link are thematically relevant (this includes internal links from the same domain)
    4) We have not stuffed keywords in our anchor text
    5) There are not a zillion outbound links on the linking page
    6) The text on the page sending the link is unique as well as the text throughout the domain.

What have I forgotten?
    It is a nice and relevant list, but i am confused about some points, though i agree with the points like relevant theme, no keyword stuffing, limited number of outbound links all are good and considerable points when performing a back link gaining from a website.

But i am confused that you say that all the links from the page is went to relevant site, how we put a compulsion on that, because there are many unethical person who just want to gain links, they don't follow the guidelines, and sometimes get a link from good domain, so it is not a fault of domain, or other users who got the link or planning to get the link for relevant page. As this page is intent for something and if someone tricked it, then that link has to face issues in future not all other links those belong to the relevant niche, i think.
  21. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

So where do links in forum signatures stand in all this? Are they considered bad links?
  23. SEO Since 97

Originally Posted by onthenet
    So where do links in forum signatures stand in all this? Are they considered bad links?
    It all depends on how yo look at it.
    If you're an expert in the niche the forum is concentrating on...there delicious for other members to use.
    If you're just using them to get better rankings your wasting your time.
  25. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Originally Posted by Test-ok
    If you're just using them to get better rankings your wasting your time.
    But can forum sig links actually hurt seo?
  27. No Profile Picture
    Hippy

Originally Posted by onthenet
    I believe it depends on forum's trustrank. for example if you got signature in this forum that gives you a backlink to your site it defo stands good. seochat itself has so much quality content thats also gives it high trust rank so you can take advantage of it.
  29. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

Originally Posted by Dr.Marie
    My main criteria for whether or not a link is good is whether it drives legitimate traffic.
    Your visitors are your link builders so any link (follow or no follow) which brings in visitors is valuable. Then it is up to your content to make those visitors feel like they want to link/share ...
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page: