1. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

At what point does a dynamic URL cause indexing issues?

Im having some issues getting some internal pages indexed in the search engines. The URL's being used are very long and include several parameters. I have never had an issue with dynamic URLs and before taking the time to convert these URL's to be static I want to figure out if the conversion in itself would be of any help to getting these pages indexed.

just a little more information on the site structure, this is how its laid out.
    home page --> product category --> product page by type --> list of individual products.
    all of the product page by type pages have been indexed so im relatively sure the spiders have seen the individual products pages.. this is why im wondering if the parameters are having an effect.

an example of the long, parameter heavy URL being used.
    http://www.domainname.com/Products/ProductCatalog.aspx?productlist=1&p0=t:1&p1=v:148
    Last edited by Nickfb76; Oct 19th, 2009 at 11:48 AM.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Noj
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

I wont swear by this and I though google would of sorted the issue put by now, but I used to think google had an
    issue with mid level pages passing on page rank and vault if they had a dynamic URL.

ie you cat pages will rank, but google struggels to pass PR though them this your product pages are weak and rank and index really poorly.

This this just a theory and I thought it was old hat, but the symptoms you describe match it.

If you think its likley and want a solution rewrite you catgeory and types pages first and see what happens, convientley its easier work too.

Originally Posted by Nickfb76
    Im having some issues getting some internal pages indexed in the search engines. The URL's being used are very long and include several parameters. I have never had an issue with dynamic URLs and before taking the time to convert these URL's to be static I want to figure out if the conversion in itself would be of any help to getting these pages indexed.

home page --> product category --> product page by type --> list of individual products.
    all of the product page by type pages have been indexed so im relatively sure the spiders have seen the individual products pages.. this is why im wondering if the parameters are having an effect.

http://www.domainname.com/Products/ProductCatalog.aspx?productlist=1&p0=t:1&p1=v:148
  5. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

I just copied this and pasted it into notepad with my product URL beneath it

My products URL's are EXACTLY 2 times that length to the exact character

My products have never had a problem being indexed, or ranking number 1

My products are 2 links from homepage WHICH is a PR5
  7. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

In my opinion, everything helps... if you can change your urls to contain the product name and category, by all means do so... There's no doubt in my mind that Google uses path information as part of their overall formula...

In other words, your URLs aren't hurting you per se, they just aren't helping you in your SEO effort.