1. El Gaton
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

At What Point Does The Dupe Content Issue Arise?

My question is on the way Google sees duplicate content. Let me start by stating that our business is advertising. We have an online portal and we advertise for our clients businesses, an online directory of businesses if you will.

The duplicate content issue arises when our clients send us the specific content that will be displayed on our site. The other point is that there is much competition in our industry. One of our clients may also be advertising in several other portals, all with the same exact content!

Clients advertising on our site donít know or donít care to know about the dupe content issue. They just care about leads. A good estimate is that there are roughly 8 to 10 sites with the same exact content, and each site has a database of 200 to 1000 clients! Thatís a lot of the same content throughout all these sites.

I hope all this makes sense. Can anyone see a problem with duplicate content here?

Thanks in advance for any insight,
    -D
  3. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Skiller (1500 - 1999 posts)

Originally Posted by KAMaster
    My question is on the way Google sees duplicate content. Let me start by stating that our business is advertising. We have an online portal and we advertise for our clients businesses, an online directory of businesses if you will.

The duplicate content issue arises when our clients send us the specific content that will be displayed on our site. The other point is that there is much competition in our industry. One of our clients may also be advertising in several other portals, all with the same exact content!

Clients advertising on our site donít know or donít care to know about the dupe content issue. They just care about leads. A good estimate is that there are roughly 8 to 10 sites with the same exact content, and each site has a database of 200 to 1000 clients! Thatís a lot of the same content throughout all these sites.

I hope all this makes sense. Can anyone see a problem with duplicate content here?

Thanks in advance for any insight,
    -D
    That's an impossible question to answer. Only the engineers at google that do the algoriths know that for sure.

The closest way I can advise you to test is out is by using copyscape.

The point I think your client is making is that organic rankings are not realistic for them.

I had a client in the states that was an aggregator of leads for everything from health insurance, cash loans, credit cards and auto loans. Their traffic came from their affiliates and other advertising like banners.

They would never be able to get good organics because their sites were 5-6 pages, mostly images, and lots of scripting.

Sound familiar?
  5. El Gaton
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

I've used copyscape before and it confirms only what I already know. The way I understand it is that the site that successfully gets indexed 1st, owns the rights to that content, at least in the eyes of Google. All others that publish the same content are thrown in a supplemental index, who really knows.

The fact that some of our sites have the same exact content and roughly the same number of incoming links, yet some have better positioning confirms this. I know there are other factors that come into play, however.

It's just very frustrating because we have no control over the content that we publish on our site.

Thanks for the input

(by the way, our sites have a lot of graphics and jave, but are generally over a thousand pages)