1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

What matters NOW!!!

The rules of google ranking have changed .. with penguin, panda and all other animals in the google kingdom.
    Gone are the days when just a few good links from relevant content could do wonders ..

So what rules has some of the veterans here identified? what kind of links or what is making the sites rank better for certain keywords?

Id really like to hear what the vets on this forum have to say

Thank you
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

For myself the 'rules' haven't really changed (he said trying to think if he'd really tried scamming the engines - probably sometime, but don't remember it: except in testing). In reality MOST of the people who have significantly seen the 'rules' change are those who:

- think they should be no1 and it should be easy and:
    - are trying to 'play the engines' because they really believe they need/want to 'scam the engines' (probably don't deserve to be in good SERPs position)

- want a successful business and see others above them they feel (often rightly) they shouldn't be:
    - so, (more usually), are trying to scam the engines with the excuse that everyone else is doing it.

- Need help and either aren't prepared for the time/effort & expense required:
    - and get 'sold a pup' by the scammers!

- Are just unlucky, want to do it right:
    - and get 'sold a pup' by the scammers!
    - OR (too often) follow the 'crap' spouted usually by scammers building spammy links (for the scammer)

What I thought of as good content, well optimised, 5 years or more ago would still be regarded as so today.
    - have good relevant content, relevant to your page purpose and offering what the visitor wants (And if poss with ~500+ words not 'stuffed').
    - have a good relevant <title> that will catch the eye of a searcher and is relevant to the page (and search term if possible)
    - have a good meta description that will flesh out the <title> to convince people the content of the page is what they want
    - Use <hx> tags properly to make content readable (and where reasonable use key terms etc)
    - Good use of images to make the page more interesting and ensure alt and title are used PROPERLY (and use keyterms when relevant)
    - ... (you can find loads more elsewhere).

What I thought of as good links, well optimised, 5 years or more ago would still be regarded as so today.
    (OK, I don't ALWAYS only get good links. If I stmuble across 'an easy one' I may well grab it. Exception proves the rule )
    - the link is on a page that I believe my likely customers are going to be (yeah, anyone could be a customer - easy excuse! We all know better.)
    - and/or is on a page relevant to my page purpose
    - is positioned such that MY likely customer will see it (so link drops rarely feature in my efforts)
    - is designed (image or words) so that MY likely customer will want to follow it and hopefully convert (whether thats buy something, click on adsense/affiliate, whatever).

Strangely enough, even though I haven't always acheived page 1 results for all desired terms, and those that do get page 1 (many top 5) take months not days, I've never been HIT by a change in algo for a customer who would 'follow the rules' and my advice on layout and content (as above). You can never account for a customer who goes off and 'gets creative' on their own - or just will not provide any content or allow you to change content; all you can do there is start cleaning things up again after things go wrong and/or weep in frustration

Comments on this post

• SBRTechnologies agrees
    • Doodled : Nice!
    Freelance SEO and Web Developer
    Latest Clients Home Discount and Printed Products
  5. rod@missionop.com
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Originally Posted by problemo
    So what rules has some of the veterans here identified?
    When did Google stop saying, "just make a great website!"

Nothing changed other than the radar gun guy is now also passing out suspensions and you're no longer giggling about getting away with something.

Comments on this post

• jodiemht agrees
  7. SEO Consultant
    SEO Chat High Scholar (3500 - 3999 posts)

The rules never changed. They just are now paying more attention to web spam.
    www.joshz.net - SEO Web Design | On-Page SEO | SEO Audits & Reports | Link Building
    BASED IN ATLANTA, GA. Contact: Skype/Phone/Email (Discounted rates available for SEOChat members only - email josh@joshz.net)
    Please EMAIL me at the above address and do not send Private Messages. I rarely check them and your message will be lost.
  9. No Profile Picture

agreed! Rules, they never change it. They modify algorithms time to time to filter spam! Content will always remain king
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Rules have indeed changed .. atleast for smaller retailers.

How do you explain top rankings of ebay, Amazon and other e-tailer sites for product keywords? Do they have great content for specific item keywords?
    Of course not! But they are still on the top 3 spots.

I do not have any suspensions, spam and always built great content, natural links and still do. However, great content alone is not enough.
    It is cliched and much easier to say "oh yeah build great content and everything will be fine and dandy!"

Anyone who says that rules haven't changed is either in denial, doesnt really understand my question or is competing in a non-retail segment .. where the rules have indeed changed.
  13. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

Originally Posted by Kevin H
    For myself the 'rules' haven't really changed (he said trying to think if he'd really tried scamming the engines - probably sometime, but don't remember it: except in testing). In reality MOST of the people who have significantly seen the 'rules' change are those who:
    That's pants! I clicked that I agreed with the post and the system said I disagreed! Alot of valuable information in that post so ignore the disagree from me!!!!
  15. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

Originally Posted by problemo
    Rules have indeed changed .. atleast for smaller retailers.

How do you explain top rankings of ebay, Amazon and other e-tailer sites for product keywords? Do they have great content for specific item keywords?
    Of course not! But they are still on the top 3 spots.

I do not have any suspensions, spam and always built great content, natural links and still do. However, great content alone is not enough.
    It is cliched and much easier to say "oh yeah build great content and everything will be fine and dandy!"

Anyone who says that rules haven't changed is either in denial, doesnt really understand my question or is competing in a non-retail segment .. where the rules have indeed changed.
    Yes - for small retailers there has been a big change from Organic Rankings to PPC - Google Shopping is an ideal example. However for my clients it has been the best change ever and the ROI is excellent from ebay, Bing Shopping (shopping.com), Amazon and Google Shopping.

Provide good websites and excellent product information on the landing pages and you will see very good returns - that is what is meant by "build great content".