1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

What is more important : Content or Backlinks

I want to build gr8 content but don't want to waste time in backlinking
    Will it be sufficient to just write gr8 Posts and leave rest to search engine
  3. No Profile Picture
    Noj
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

Depends who you and hwo developed your site is.

If your a big brand with lots of links and traffic already content is king.

If your starting up with few back links and little traffic, Links and social buzz are very important too.

I am guessing you need to be paying more attention to links than you want to.

Originally Posted by Maria James WM
  5. Agency SEO
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

You can rank any site for anything with enough backlinks, you can't rank any site for anything (competitive) on content alone.

Comments on this post

• joshz agrees : YES.
  7. Busting SEOChat Spammers!
    SEO Chat High Scholar (3500 - 3999 posts)

Both are needed to succeed in any competitive market and as long as you are supplying great content that people want to read and link to, and your sharing your content/site/pages in the right places you should earn links naturally without having to build them all.

For example, if you was to share news of your new post on other relevant sites and people like what they read, they are likely to talk about it and share it. Another great way to get people talking about and sharing your content/link is via social networks such as twitter and facebook.

But yes, the bottom line is, without sharing your content in some form, it will not gain links, which means it will fall behind other that also have good content but are out ranking you because they are getting it to more people and are building and/or earning more links.

Content is king, but links are the kings prawns, and what's a king without his followers?! Nothing, because without them the king is no one!

Comments on this post

• SEOhostingcouk agrees
    New To SEOChat? See Here & the FAQ's

"stupid people say stupid things, and smart people out smart each other!" SOAD
    301 Redirects | SEO Tools | Default htaccess | CuteRank
  9. No Profile Picture
    Permanently Banned

The thing is content is the king but without backlinks your site will not get ranking. And without ranking no one gonna view your site and if no one gonna view your site then who gonna read your content? So what will you do with that gr8 content.

Pardon me if my words heart you but this real.......
    So you need both gr8 content along with gr8 no. of backlinks.
  11. Busting SEOChat Spammers!

Originally Posted by jipolis7
    So you need both gr8 content along with gr8 no. of backlinks.
    No you don't need a great amount of backlinks, what you need is quality backlinks to not only show google your site is worth ranking but to also get the right people to visit and even link to it!
  13. Extremely Googled
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

Originally Posted by KernelPanic
    You can rank any site for anything with enough backlinks, you can't rank any site for anything (competitive) on content alone.
    I've always seen this question as more along the lines of "In a house, which is more important? The foundation or the walls?"
    It's inane to say the walls are more important because if your foundation is bad, the walls will be bad too.

Content is the foundation of your website. I mean, it's very true what KP says, that you can rank with just links, but the question is why would you want to? It's like starting an ad campaign to drive people to a vacant building. You can do it, but to what end? People will get there, see there's nothing there, and leave. And in SEO that means your bounce rate goes up, which means your rankings go down.

Build a quality site with quality content first. Worry about links afterwards. Both are important but links without content have no value long term.

Comments on this post

• Dr.Marie agrees : Well put
    • ChillDot agrees : I like this
    • dzine agrees : A tale of two kings
    • eddyf agrees : "...starting an ad campaign to drive people to a vacant building" Well stated.
    Last edited by Highland; Nov 14th, 2012 at 08:27 AM.
  15. SEO Consultant

Without backlinks, your precious content will never rank in a competitive market/niche.

Comments on this post

• KernelPanic agrees
    www.V2INTERACTIVE.net - SEO Web Design | On-Page SEO | SEO Audits & Reports | Link Building
    BASED IN ATLANTA, GA. Contact: Skype/Phone/Email (Discounted rates available for SEOChat members only - email seochat@v2interactive.net)
    Please EMAIL me at the above address and do not send Private Messages. I rarely check them and your message will be lost.
  17. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Depends what the subject area is, but generally the answer is no.
  19. B afraid.. B very afraid!
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Land of enchantment... deserts of the Southwest
    I posted the below in a Jackets thread covering the same subject:

"I was of the school that LINKS are king when I first got involved in the hunt for better SERP results. I really drove my landing pages through gathering good .edu links. I spend a lot of my initial time hunting links. Yup!!! LINKS are king.

THEN....

I really started focusing on dramatically improving my already excellent content to better satisfy my users/visitors. I found that I no longer needed to look for backlinks. In fact, for the last 3-4 years I have not looked for a backlink from anyone... We get hundreds of excellent one-way backlinks automatically. Yup!!! Content is king.

Bottomline: If you sell SEO services and need quick answers... LINKS are king. However, if you own a site and are looking for long term success. Content is king.

As in all things in life... when designating superiority... it depends."

Comments on this post

• eddyf agrees : 100% correct. Think long term. No such thing as a quick, long lasting fix anymore.
    ...Never mistake activity for achievement...

...Wise men don't need advice. Fools won't take it....
    Benjamin Franklin
  21. -
    SEO Chat Super Hero (2500 - 2999 posts)

If you are capable of making "gr8" content (which sorry I doubt if you're spelling great, gr8) then you need to market it.

No point building disney world and then not telling anyone about it.

Comments on this post

• Optimitron agrees : Yeah, good point. I remember China's Wonderland amusement park. The existence of parallel world - haunted wonderland!
    I am always ready to learn although I do not always like being taught. ~Winston Churchill
  23. No Profile Picture

Content is most important

Content is very important because if content is good, unique and beneficial for user then visitors are bound to come to your website and also search engines gives weightage for unique and fresh content. for getting ranking and making your content popular you need to make back links. so both content and back links are important.
  25. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Originally Posted by DarrenHaye
    If you are capable of making "gr8" content (which sorry I doubt if you're spelling great, gr8) then you need to market it.

No point building disney world and then not telling anyone about it.
    I always find people write differently on forums, than they do to when they're writing proper content.

It's more of a throwaway statement, especially in this case with the one post wonder sparking a debate they'll probably never return to.