1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

What have i done wrong

Hi

My site has been live for about 5 weeks now after a week I was on the first page of google for most of my keywords which was great now for the 4 weeks I have been submiting to directries using differnt keywords etc

Now in the past 4 days my rankins have just dropped don't think I've done to much link building

Just not sure what I have done and a little worried
  3. Agency SEO
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Originally Posted by ricky776
    Hi

My site has been live for about 5 weeks now after a week I was on the first page of google for most of my keywords which was great now for the 4 weeks I have been submiting to directries using differnt keywords etc

Now in the past 4 days my rankins have just dropped don't think I've done to much link building

Good to see the Google honeymoon is alive and well. New websites for whatever reason are sometimes ....um allowed(?) to reside on page 1 for a bit.

Be careful about making the best use of your time. Unless the directories you are submitting to are, business.com, yahoo directory, DMOZ or similar you might be spinning your wheels.

Here's what I would do: 1) Create a new page of original relevant content every couple of days that so rocks your industry that people will naturally link to it. 2) search the world for one-way relevant links. 3) Read every thread in this forum (or at least the important ones )

Good luck!

Comments on this post

• Seodude2 agrees : content is king , give it 3 month or so and you should see some movment
  5. No Profile Picture
    Permanently Banned

I am no SEO expert. But from all the forums I've been though, the only common answer was "to build more links".

These are some of the methods:
    Submitting to Directories - this may not have a great effect because Google already give less weight in directory links. However, it is still considered as a backlink.

Article Submission - although it will take you a hundred years to approved your articles. Article directories are helpful in gaining traffic and overtime, if your article have good quality and relevant to the subject, it will gain PR.

Social Bookmarking - is the fastest way to have backlinks and gain traffic. Search Engines like Google love fresh content. Bookmarking sites always have fresh news and contents from all over the internet, that's why SE's indexed it much faster than a blog or a website.

Social Networks - will help you promote your website or blog. It will also be helpful in gaining more traffic.

Blogging - Another way of posting relevant articles and news about your website. You can promote your website.

Forum Signatures - are another helpful way of having backlinks. However, some forums made their sigs hidden unless you are logged-in.
  7. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Super Hero (2500 - 2999 posts)

this is normal serp churn/wave action by G...ignore it...and follow the advice given here to build great content and authoritative/trust backlinks!

Jim
    Jim Rudnick
    MCSD
    Canadian SEO

Twitter: @JVRudnick

read. learn. hypothesize. test. analyze...then rank!

9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Every single one of my sites has had the stupid Google honeymoon. Makes you feel like you did something wrong and I totally fear that I'll never get the listing back. But it does come back. It's hard to ignore it but keep writing content for your site, go after LOTS of small keywords first that are easy to rank for and you'll make money.
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by tayethin
    Every single one of my sites has had the stupid Google honeymoon. Makes you feel like you did something wrong and I totally fear that I'll never get the listing back. But it does come back. It's hard to ignore it but keep writing content for your site, go after LOTS of small keywords first that are easy to rank for and you'll make money.
    Maybe this is a Google strategy to get you in panic and buy their Adwords!? Hummm...
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

It totally feels like that when it happens, it's like they're testing you to see if you'll stop building links if they drop your site. If you stop then you're just trying to move your site up in the search engines, if you keep building links then in their eyes you're doing it to promote via text link advertising and not just trying to game the system and now they will trust you......

...... see how easy it is to get paranoid??

F*#& Google and what it does, every link you get is going to help your business in some way. If you built a link to your website, you just got stronger. That's how I look at it now.

I'll admit something... I have a few sites that have exactly the same content except for when I did a find and replace on the word Vancouver and changed it for toronto and changed it for las vegas and so on... one site has most of the links and you guessed it most of the traffic, one site has about 50% less links and yup, 50% less traffic and keeps going down the list.
  15. Agency SEO
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Instead of trying to force a square peg into a round hole, why not just use "best practices" and achieve results the old fashioned way, through hard work?

I know you'll be more successful, and I think you'll be less angry also.

Originally Posted by tayethin
    It totally feels like that when it happens, it's like they're testing you to see if you'll stop building links if they drop your site. If you stop then you're just trying to move your site up in the search engines, if you keep building links then in their eyes you're doing it to promote via text link advertising and not just trying to game the system and now they will trust you......

...... see how easy it is to get paranoid??

F*#& Google and what it does, every link you get is going to help your business in some way. If you built a link to your website, you just got stronger. That's how I look at it now.

I'll admit something... I have a few sites that have exactly the same content except for when I did a find and replace on the word Vancouver and changed it for toronto and changed it for las vegas and so on... one site has most of the links and you guessed it most of the traffic, one site has about 50% less links and yup, 50% less traffic and keeps going down the list.
  17. No Profile Picture

Re: What have I done wrong

@KernelPanic - Amen to that
  19. shuffle up and deal
    SEO Chat Super Hero (2500 - 2999 posts)

Originally Posted by ricky776

If I were you I would spend less time trying to work out what you have done wrong and more time on what you are doing right.

Sites fluctuate in the serps and it's something you need to get used to. Having said that this seems to be much less the case for sites with strong back link profiles.

a, Develop content that others will want to link to.
    b, Get that content in front of other site owners that will find it use full enough to link to.

Repeat a and b as often as possible.
  21. No Profile Picture

I say, do not worry. This is the natural process for google, as I am reading more and more about this experience by many many people. Just keep building the backlinks. It should pay off.
  23. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Older sites can go through this as well?

I have a question regarding this. Google honeymoon period is just for new website OR the same applies to a website that is old and indexed but after some seo, the site started showing for a competitive keyword. It lasted for a month and then dropped? So the site was new in the results showing for a certain keywords. Hope I make sense.
  25. No Profile Picture

G gives credit to new site by displaying couple of days on first page. After that you can't imagine how much struggle is needed and that too in right direction to achieve the the same position