1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

What happens when a deindexed subdomain is redirected to another deindexed subdomain?

Hi all,

We are planning to de-index and redirect a sub domain A to sub domain B. Consequently we now need to d-index sub domain B also. What happens now to the link juice or page rank they gained from hundreds and thousands of backlinks? Will there be any ranking impact on main domain? Backlinks of these sub domains are not much relevant to main domain content.

Thanks
  3. Professional SEO
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Any link juice that is directed from the subdomains to the main site via links will be lost. The answer to your question is dependent upon how many links point to the main site.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I wonder why link juice will be lost from sub domain to main domain when the backlinks are going to be same. There are enough number of links from sub domain to main domain. Please clarify me on this. We don't want these 2 sub domains indexed in Google to make sure users don't take advantage of it and post spammy content. We are planning to block via robots. Is that fine?
  7. Professional SEO

Is your site Wordpress? Why don't you turn off comments or make them require approval?

I see NO reason to de-index. Your subdomains will likely find their way into the SERPs and be delivering traffic. Why mess with that?

Comments on this post

• Pierre Benneton agrees : Fix the issue instead of running away from it
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Thanks for the suggestion.

Our site is not WordPress. Moreover it's something like this seo chat forum. Users can create threads and comment to any. So it's hard to control them. If we de index users who are trying to publish promotional content will get reduced a lot that their content is not going on Google. And the number of pages these 2 sub domains hold are in thousands, but most of the pages don't rank for any keywords. I fell like its not good to employ such sites which have large number of pages but don't make an effort on search engines. Am I correct?
  11. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

websitex.com links to mysubdomain.mydomain.com which links to mydomain.com

If the above is what you are talking about then de-indexing the subdomain breaks the flow of link juice. Now if you 301 redirect the subdomain pages to the domain you won't lose the actual juice.

However you might lose some of the effectiveness of the juice if the context of the pages that are linking to you is significantly different to your main domains content.

Comments on this post

• DirectHits agrees
  13. Professional SEO

I don't think I have anything to add here. Risky proposition to de-index, but you might try it while being prepared to reverse all the changes. I prefer Doodled's suggestion of using a 301, but again, anything is risky. I think most sites like you are describing handle the link issue by No-Following all posted links. You eliminate some of the more knowledgeable spammers that way.