Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Exclamation what happened around May 15th? I got shafted.

hey everyone.

in the last 72 hours roughly, every inner page on my site has vanished from our primary phrases (4 total). the home page still ranks in position 2 or 3 for each phrase, but the trove of inner pages I had in positions 20-110 are completely gone.

no back links to the site except those from legit press releases. I've noticed some recent controversy about prweb, but considering the nature of the website and the releases themselves, I can't imagine anything being wrong with them. We are, after all, creating legit releases about actual events taking place around the world within our company.

All white hat on-page seo done in the last 3 months.

Does anyone know what may have happened around May 15th to inspire this?

I'm not sure on dates, but within the last 72 hours, all of our inner pages are gone. Home page still ranks in top 5 for all phrases.

Thoughts? suggestions? comments? Ideas? anyone?
  3. rod@missionop.com
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

What do press releases have to do with SEO? PRESS COVERAGE is for press coverage.

Oh I forgot... legitimate press releases are just another link scheme version to acquire paid backlinks as oppose to actually earning backlinks.

You are most likely caught by the Google PENGUIN preamble which is about inorganic deep links.

Matt Cutts in December 2005 SEO article in Newsweek

Boney, a legit press release can get you written up by reporters, or editors/sites may subsequently choose to link to your site. But the actual content of the press release itself doesn’t directly affect a site. For example, on Avatar Financial Group Closes $18.85 Million Bridge Loan in Under Three Weeks those hyperlinks don’t help avatarfinancial.com (in Google).
    This is 7 1/2 years old dated information. I'm sure if you have lots of PRWeb links that is a great filtering system to hammer you for webspam by PENGUIN 2.0 today.

Now you can say "press release coverage" is about the press... not about getting unearned links.

Comments on this post

• Truculent agrees : Plausible
    Last edited by fathom; May 23rd, 2013 at 08:46 PM.
  5. No Profile Picture

It's hard to get my head around when put into context. If you have an ACTUAL press release, with media folk and all that jazz, who's the genius that decided this intentional organization MUST BE BUYING INTO LINK SCHEME, simply because some teenager in another country knows how to use an RSS feed. None the less, I'll take that lapse of memory as cheeky humor.

In any event. I thought the same initially, but the odd part is the timing of it all. The site in question got hit a few days before the rest of the web. So I'm wondering if one of their other updates rolled out before hand?

In any event, I only have about 250 links from those releases. Is the disallow tool my solution? Surely, life can't be that simple.

Thanks for your comment.
  7. SEO Since 97

Use a Press release as a way to get new information to the reader. don't publish press releases to gain an advantage in the serps. That's not what Press releases are built for..which is the same way google treats them.
  9. rod@missionop.com

Originally Posted by Truculent
    Is the disallow tool my solution? Surely, life can't be that simple.
    Life is much simpler than that... you don't need to do anything... PENGUIN 2.0 did all the work... just go forth and build value on your domain now and let the links fall as they may.
  11. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by fathom
    Life is much simpler than that... you don't need to do anything... PENGUIN 2.0 did all the work... just go forth and build value on your domain now and let the links fall as they may.

while i wouldn't mind waiting a year or so, i think the site owner might feel differently
  13. rod@missionop.com

while i wouldn't mind waiting a year or so, i think the site owner might feel differently
    Well there is always a promotional world without Google.
  15. No Profile Picture

Sure, but that's not why I'm here!

In any event, your vote goes to penguin 2.0?
  17. rod@missionop.com

Sure, but that's not why I'm here!

In any event, your vote goes to penguin 2.0?
    Short of suggesting you have copy originality issues - yes PENGUIN.
  19. No Profile Picture

That's what I was thinking.

the releases were carbon copies of material we published. I was hoping we would get credit for the content, considering we did publish it, but I'm wondering if duplicate content was the problem. I used microformats in the markup of the original article, but apparently that may not be as effective as they claim!
  21. rod@missionop.com

That's what I was thinking.

the releases were carbon copies of material we published. I was hoping we would get credit for the content, considering we did publish it, but I'm wondering if duplicate content was the problem. I used microformats in the markup of the original article, but apparently that may not be as effective as they claim!
    The releases are not on your domain so losing Google results' traffic because of them (content-wise) is impossible.

I suspect the press release links are not likely your problem either. They tend not to help your domain gain ranks to begin with so you can't suffer loses from losing something that didn't produce such gains.

But links are the likely culprit.
  23. No Profile Picture

heh... it's so crazy. literally about 250 links. a days worth of work to remove submit to disavow. The kicker is you were 100% right saying "They tend not to help your domain gain ranks to begin with". thats 100% true here. The onsite development alone was producing strong results before the links even showed up.
  25. No Profile Picture

so I checked the backlinks, and indeed there are links for sites like "indianews.in" or something similar.

the articles in the page are exactly the same content we have on our site, as well as the content of the press release, and crediting the pr venue as the source.. which is a major problem for us. (can we fight with pr web for giving themselves credit for content we've originally produced?)

anyway, the last remaining question, that holds me back from completely crediting this mess to backlink quality, is why does the homepage still rank in position 2 or 3 for the given phrases, and all of the inner pages have gone? Shouldn't it be the other way around?
  27. rod@missionop.com

why does the homepage still rank in position 2 or 3 for the given phrases, and all of the inner pages have gone? Shouldn't it be the other way around?
    Without deep research you cannot tell but if you want a theory... PENGUIN 2.0 (vs. PENGUIN 1.0) looks deeper than the homepage. The homepage tends to be where organic links flourish so if you have inorganic links there they may have much more cover to remain undetectable at present.
  29. rod@missionop.com

Originally Posted by fathom
    Without deep research you cannot tell but if you want a theory... PENGUIN 2.0 (vs. PENGUIN 1.0) looks deeper than the homepage. The homepage tends to be where organic links flourish so if you have inorganic links there they may have much more cover to remain undetectable at present.
    A competing theory... You lost link juice and have less to go around to subordinate pages thus less ranks at subordinate pages.
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page: