1. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

What google believes to be click fraud.

I read the other day that google believes that sites created for the sole purpose of hosting adsense ads is a form of click fraud. I have to disagree.

Click fraud is knowingly clicking on an ad to get the revenue. Or, to cause visitors to your site to click on ads they normally wouldn't click. An example would be... "click here or your computer will lose all of its data", and then they click on the ad in a panic and are brought to the site in the ad. THAT would be click fraud.

My building a site to host adsense ads is not by itself a form of fraud. As I never (if I did do that) entice a visitor to click an ad.

BTW, the site where I read about this had ads before the article and after the article. Seems to me the articles are written just to get the ads out there.
    Last edited by steve-O; Jul 2nd, 2005 at 07:09 PM.
  3. Son Of Spam
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

Where did you read this? I don't see why G would care if sites were created entirely for adsense, it's not like your going to get rich doing that, at least not most people. I wouldn't call that click fraud either. But might make ineresting reading.

thx
    Last edited by SEO_AM; Jul 2nd, 2005 at 10:20 PM. Reason: Quote not required.
  5. Free the SB
    SEO Chat Skiller (1500 - 1999 posts)

While not entirely on topic enclosed is a copy of a google response on a potential click fraud issue that I brought to their attention: http://forums.seochat.com/showpost.php?p=223322&postcount=7

Currently they are jumping to in responding on possible click fraud. I responded with specifics as they requested. They are supposedly in the investigation phase.

We will see how responsive they are. I subsequently received a quick survey questionaire asking about satisfaction to date with their responsiveness.

I emailed back referencing that I'm happy to date with this response, but am waiting to hear about the investigation.

I also referenced that Google was TOTALLY unresponsive with regard to a report of duplicate content.

Adwords income is the fuel that google lives on. Any dent in this will kill the goose that lays the golden egg until they can diversify their income.

I can't really comment on your question...but for a mysterious, secretive, non-responsive company this is the issue about which they are very sensitive.

Dave
    255 chars s*ck
  7. Contributing User

Re-reading it, I may have framed it differently than I remember, but what remains is, that content produced solely to host adsense ads is considered spam, blah blah blah.

short blurb: "There are a number of sites that have been developed for the express purpose of receiving ad clicks. These spam sites generate erroneous content (if they aren't scraping it from another source) and place AdSense ads in order to trick visitors into clicking the ads so the spam site developer can benefit financially."

Full article: http://www.webpronews.com/insidesearch/insidesearch/wpn-56-20050602GoogleGuyCallsOutAdSenseSpamSites.html

My question is this: How does putting ads on a page with content (no matter the source) differ from putting ads on pages with articles that are created just to gather eyeballs and than plastering the page with ads. No difference.
    Last edited by SEO_AM; Jul 2nd, 2005 at 10:22 PM. Reason: Removed live links. Please read the guidelines on live links.
  9. Resident Black Hat
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

I don't care whether I put random words strung together or I put articles, rss feeds, whatever the hell I put on a page. It ain't click fraud unless I'm clicking on my ads to get revenue or paying someone to do it.

You (I'm generalizing here) can complain as much as you want about scraper sites, cloaked sites, whatever - the simple fact of the matter is that they rank and they provide laser targeted results for the advertiser.

How is that bad?

G-Man
  11. Contributing User

Originally Posted by GeoffreyF67
    I don't care whether I put random words strung together or I put articles, rss feeds, whatever the hell I put on a page. It ain't click fraud unless I'm clicking on my ads to get revenue or paying someone to do it.

You (I'm generalizing here) can complain as much as you want about scraper sites, cloaked sites, whatever - the simple fact of the matter is that they rank and they provide laser targeted results for the advertiser.

How is that bad?

G-Man
    EXACTLY
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Hero (2000 - 2499 posts)

I don't know that I would characterize that crap as "lazer targeted". I don't advertise via adsense, so I don't really care how it is policed, but I have a site that gets lots of traffic from those scraper sites because it is on page one of Google for a bunch of keywords. So those sites generate lots of free traffic for me. To date, I've yet to see one of those referrals buy anything (this is on a handbag ecommerce site). Since the traffic is free to me, I couldn't care less. But if I were paying, I wouldn't be happy about those sites. Then again, for retail, I find most adsense sites to generate crap traffic.

That said, I agree - this cannot accurately be called click fraud. Personally, I think if you (also speaing in the general sense of the term here) sign up for the "benefit" of paying to have your link spread across thousands of sites expecting that all or most of them are going to be top quality, then you deserve the lack of ROI you're likely to receive. For those in markets where adsense generated leads convert well enough to make a good profit, I doubt those scaper sites have a negative effect.

"Live never to be ashamed of what is written about you. Even if what is written is not true" -- Richard Bach

Yahoo Store SEO
  15. Resident Black Hat

Originally Posted by brandall
    I don't know that I would characterize that crap as "lazer targeted". I don't advertise via adsense, so I don't really care how it is policed, but I have a site that gets lots of traffic from those scraper sites because it is on page one of Google for a bunch of keywords. So those sites generate lots of free traffic for me. To date, I've yet to see one of those referrals buy anything (this is on a handbag ecommerce site). Since the traffic is free to me, I couldn't care less. But if I were paying, I wouldn't be happy about those sites. Then again, for retail, I find most adsense sites to generate crap traffic.
    Well, they're certainly targeted enough that the adsense ad shows and if that isn't context sensitive then I don't know what is...

As far as it not giving much of a return, sometimes people need to use negative keywords or modify their ads in some way to filter out the people who simply are window-shopping.

That said, I agree - this cannot accurately be called click fraud. Personally, I think if you (also speaing in the general sense of the term here) sign up for the "benefit" of paying to have your link spread across thousands of sites expecting that all or most of them are going to be top quality, then you deserve the lack of ROI you're likely to receive. For those in markets where adsense generated leads convert well enough to make a good profit, I doubt those scaper sites have a negative effect.
    They also have the option of not showing up on content sites and only in the search results. I think a lot of folks using adwords forget about this option or maybe don't know it exists...more money in the bank for me

G-Man
  17. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Hero (2000 - 2499 posts)

Well, they're certainly targeted enough that the adsense ad shows and if that isn't context sensitive then I don't know what is...
    Yeah - and they must be working for someone or tgoogle wouldn't be able to sell them I guess.

They also have the option of not showing up on content sites and only in the search results. I think a lot of folks using adwords forget about this option or maybe don't know it exists...more money in the bank for me
    Oh, I know you can opt out (trust me, I know :-) ). And if anyone is going to profit from useless rubish clogging up the SERPs, you have certainly earned the right ;-)

Seriously though, as long as there is money to be made (and it's not illegal) people are going to do it. I'm a true capitalist at heart, so I am all for that. But lets not confuse it with quality contant or a service to advertisers. That's stretching the truth a bit IMO.
  19. Resident Black Hat

Oh, I know you can opt out (trust me, I know :-) ). And if anyone is going to profit from useless rubish clogging up the SERPs, you have certainly earned the right ;-)

But lets not confuse it with quality contant or a service to advertisers. That's stretching the truth a bit IMO.
    Hahhahahah, no, I'll be the first to admit that it's crap I'm putting out for the most part. I've learned ways to gimmick the system and make a profit. i'd be stupid if I didn't admit that

G-Man
  21. Contributing User

I don't know that G is calling advertising pages click fraud. One of the AdSense program policies is:

"No Google ad may be placed on pages published specifically for the purpose of showing ads, whether or not the page content is relevant." (full policy is here: https://www.google.com/adsense/policies)

I think G is just saying you not permitted to do it, and if caught, may get booted.

I think there are some valid reasons for allowing such pages, but I guess they had to draw the line somewhere to fight spam.

/*tom*/
    Last edited by SEO_AM; Jul 2nd, 2005 at 10:25 PM. Reason: Removed live links. Please read the guidelines on live links.
  23. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Skiller (1500 - 1999 posts)

Click Fraud IP's

If you have the abibility to block IP's (or know how to use htaccess), here is a list of PPC IP abusers

ppc-manager.blogspot.com

You can also add IP's you kno wto be fraudulent.

Comments on this post

• brandall agrees : nice