1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

What To Do With WMT Errors

I got the dreaded Site Message that said I had "unnatural inbound links." Got the same message 9/7/12. Did a disavow list, submitted a reconsideration, and got "manual spam action revoked" on 11/30/12. Been so spooked by it that I never did anymore linking. My site never recovered any rankings. Without doing any linking in a year and a half I received this new message.

I did what the message told me to do by downloading "links to your site." There were 7,000 links "first discovered" going back to 12/24/04. I checked the latest 500 links from 2/25 to 4/10 of this year. Of those 500 urls, 310 do not contain my link either on the page directly or when viewing "page source." I have a feeling that if I go through the entire list of 7,000, probably 4,500 will not contain my link. Of the remaining 2,500 I have a feeling that many will have been included in my original disavow list in the fall of 2012.

Can anyone answer:
    1. Why is WMT reporting these links erroneously?
    2. And most importantly, what is my best course of action to get google to modify the list to reflect "unnatural inbound links" that actually exist.

Thanks!
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

So then, no one knows why google would send me a list of urls 60% of which don't contain my link?
  5. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Those domains that don't have your links anymore could have removed your links already before Google penalized you. That is just my theory. I've also been penalized and found domains that do not have my links anymore. What I did was I added them to my disavow list. I don't know why Google is doing that, but we can't do anything. So let's just follow and try to have spammy websites removed.
  7. SEO Since 97
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

I checked the latest 500 links from 2/25 to 4/10 of this year. Of those 500 urls, 310 do not contain my link
    Are you sure?...and how did you check that?
    I'll bet there is a next page where that link might be...It could have been bumped a page since the link was discovered, look a little harder, I'll bet their there
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by JaySurf
    Those domains that don't have your links anymore could have removed your links already before Google penalized you. That is just my theory. I've also been penalized and found domains that do not have my links anymore. What I did was I added them to my disavow list. I don't know why Google is doing that, but we can't do anything. So let's just follow and try to have spammy websites removed.
    You mean to say that 310 URLs removed his link between when he got the message and when he downloaded the latest links file? I have to agree with Test-ok on this one. Maybe a couple links are gone, but for the most part, they are there. I will agree with your point on still adding them to the disavow. Whether or not the links "exist," as the OP says, is irrelevant. They are what Google found and they are what Google is penalizing the site for. If the domain is low-quality, it should be disavowed.
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

It's one thing to get spanked if you are doing something. It's another to get spanked when you do nothing. I guess I'll just put all the urls that seemingly have no link on a disavow list and go on with my life.

Google is becoming less and less important as I discover other ways to market my website. Their search results are becoming less and less relevant every day. I'm using duckduckgo.com for my own personal searches as the relevancy is far superior to google and they don't track me.

Thanks for the responses!