1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

What To Do With Old News ??

A year or 2 back I asked this same question.

If you run a website that in part prints news, and time sensitive articles. What would you do once the news is old and no longer attracts hits.

When I initially asked the question. Egol said he would delete such pages and redirect them to the home page or another relevent page with a 301 redirect.

What would the answer be today ?? Would you delete them and redirect, or delete and leave as a 404 ??
    All The Fun Of The Fair !!!
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

I'd probably leave them, assuming there is no thin or duplicate content risk. If you redirect them to another relevant page, you'll eventually have big chains of redirects and an endless maintenance headache. If you delete them and 404, you lose any link equity they have. If you redirect to the home page, you lose some link equity and if someone does happen to search for and click on the article, they'll just have to bounce back and go to someone else. Basically, unless the pages are very thin or duplicated I don't see much risk to keeping them but I do see some risks with 301 or 404ing them. And who knows, maybe someone will want to cite some event that happened in 2003 and you'll be the 1st result!
  5. SEO Since 97
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

I would house them in an archive page.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

I'd leave them as is. If they are dated visitors can see the information is old and having them as part of your site means your site footprint is larger.

Comments on this post

• GabrielG agrees
  9. Super Moderator
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

If you're concerned to maximize juice from these pages, link from them to newer relevant pages, or evergreen pages.

Comments on this post

• jamespayne agrees
  11. No Profile Picture

If you are removing the pages don't simply be a 404 Go for customized one.
    A simple 404 page is "This Page cannot be displayed" and high proximity is user will leave your site, but by using customized 404 page user can navigate to other pages as well and will be on your website.

Hope this helps.
  13. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Is there no risk involved by having "too many pages"?

Much like the OP I run a site with time sensitive articles. We currently have around 1800 articles and when we got around 1400 Google indexed we saw a gigantic drop in organic traffic. From 100-200 a day to 20.

I'm still trying to figure out the cause of it, could too many indexed pages be it?
  15. Moderator
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

I agree with Test-ok. and before you do anything on those old pages you have to check their values added to your SERPs as well as Domain authority. If you have achieved some position it must be because of those old pages and you can not delete them all together. If you are getting some good revenue then you can host your website on powerful hosting for no slow speed issue.
  17. SEO Consultant
    SEO Chat High Scholar (3500 - 3999 posts)

Test-OK is correct.

Archive them and inter-link when appropriate or natural.
    www.V2INTERACTIVE.net - SEO Web Design | On-Page SEO | SEO Audits & Reports | Link Building
    BASED IN ATLANTA, GA. Contact: Skype/Phone/Email (Discounted rates available for SEOChat members only - email seochat@v2interactive.net)
    Please EMAIL me at the above address and do not send Private Messages. I rarely check them and your message will be lost.