1. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Could you explain me how?

Comments on this post

• Will-O-The-Wisp agrees : I'll ask around about this one!
  3. SEO Insultant
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Originally Posted by sylwestrus
    Could you explain me how? (...)
    Ok THAT link doesn't work, but all the other links DO work, including the one in the Original Post.

Comments on this post

• Will-O-The-Wisp agrees
  5. SEO Since 97

Link has been fixed Door Pages

Comments on this post

• Will-O-The-Wisp agrees : Thanks!
    • dzine agrees : Cheers m8
  7. My views are my own ;)
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

Now John seems to say past penalties / records don't matter (?) Google Doesn
    Everything will be ok in the end

If it's not ok, it's not the end
  9. My views are my own ;)

Structured Data (Schema.org...) to become ranking signal in the future (John Mueller)

"...over time, I think it [structured markup] is something that might go into the rankings as well.

If we can recognize someone is looking for a car, we can say oh well, we have these pages that are marked up with structured data for a car, so probably they are pretty useful in that regard. We don’t have to guess if this page is about a car.
  11. Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Ann Smarty
    Structured Data (Schema.org...) to become ranking signal in the future (John Mueller)
    Brilliant, hopefully it becomes a small ranking signal. For ecommerce platforms schema should be the default anyway, it makes the user experience much better as the customer can browse and find the products much quicker due to all the info available within the serps.
    Always happy to help in private message. | Learn about my latest project Can You Get Automated Pages To Rank In Google?
    Useful Links: Useful SEO Tools | GTmetrix | FileOptimizer | Cloudflare
  13. rod@missionop.com

Originally Posted by ThomasHarvey
    Brilliant, hopefully it becomes a small ranking signal. For ecommerce platforms schema should be the default anyway, it makes the user experience much better as the customer can browse and find the products much quicker due to all the info available within the serps.
    What page does Google actually guess about when they rank them. If it had anything about a car it isn't a butterfly... Right?

Originally Posted by John Mueller
    We don’t have to guess if this page is about a car.
    To me this quote says: "But I never really answered the question"... Great way the say nothing when you want people to quote you about something.

Comments on this post

• Ann Smarty agrees : this
    Last edited by fathom; Sep 14th, 2015 at 06:20 PM.
  15. Not An Expert
    SEO Chat Hero (2000 - 2499 posts)

Related to the last couple posts about rich snippets, they're in the news again: Blue Nile Research did a study on snippets and their impact on clicks.
  17. rod@missionop.com

While anything that draws eyes away from the standard might make subtle differences it won't impact on the core.

Human's are creatures of habit... It'll take a completely new Google interface to really mix it up... Ads on the left instead of the right, #1 at the bottom "as in a countdown". Would flip habits on their ears! IMHO
  19. No Profile Picture

In case if someone's interested, here's waht Matt Cutts doing at the moment: https://www.quora.com/Why-did-Matt-C...e-for-the-USDS
  21. Not An Expert
    SEO Chat Hero (2000 - 2499 posts)

Gary Illyes and John Mueller had some things to say about directories recently: Are Directories the Right Way to Build Links? Google Says: NO!
  23. No Profile Picture

This came from a Webmaster Central Office Hours Hangout video in German that was released on the 11th. Mr. Mueller seems to suggest that issuing a 404 or 410 from the root domain won't cause backlinks linking directly to said root domain to be dropped, or that it shouldn't:

Here's a rough translation (perhaps a native speaker here can provide a better one if I messed up...=P):

"Regarding backlinks and backlinks being quasi-devalued (he seems to love using "quasi" as a CYA term...), either through the Disavow tool, for example, or because the backlink target pages end up being deindexed via a 404 or 410...that is, you can return either variant so that backlink target pages just drop out of the index, and the respective backlinks will also drop out of the index.

You may see them online, but we don't use them at all. However, that really only works when the backlinks are pointing towards certain subpages. When backlinks link to the home page, you can't really respond with a 404 or a 410 because users will still visit the site."
  25. No Profile Picture

John Mueller had something interesting to say about issuing a 404 or 410 from a root domain or home page URL. According to this Webmaster Office Hours Hangout in German, he seems to imply that backlinks pointing towards home page URLs that respond with either a 404 or 410 won't be deindexed as opposed to backlinks pointing towards subpages because of the likelihood of visitors still visiting the site.

I typed out a rough translation (maybe a native speaker can crank out a better one if I messed up somehow):

"Regarding backlinks and backlinks being quasi-devalued, either through the Disavow tool, for example, or because the backlink target pages end up being deindexed via a 404 or 410...that is, you can issue either version so that backlink target pages just drop out of the index, and the respective backlinks will also drop out of the index.

You may see them online, but we don't use them at all. That really only works when the backlinks are pointing towards certain subpages. However, when the links go to the home page, you can't really respond with a 404 or a 410 because users will still visit the site."
  27. No Profile Picture

backlinks pointing towards subpages that respond with a 404 or 410*
    Last edited by Hikin Mike; Nov 26th, 2016 at 12:37 AM. Reason: typo
  29. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Hi Tom,
    You may want to add these to your important Googler list:

Andrey Lipattsev
    Gary Illyes

Andrey is the clearest speaker on G issues I've heard.

Anyone who claims to be an SEO who has not watched the following video 4 times does not deserve his/her SEO title.

Google Q&A+ #March

Perhaps the most important comment we will read from G this year is this one word Tweet from Gary Illyes.

Ref. 15 Mar 17: Google: You Can Rank For Medium Competitive Keywords Without Links

Q: "is it possible to rank medium competition keyword without backlink."
    A: "yes" (Gary Illyes, Google) ?