1. Contributing User
    SEO Chat High Scholar (3500 - 3999 posts)

Question What determines Google's description snippet?

One of my new sites, www.jsp-hosting-plans.com, just got indexed by Google, and the description that Google chooses to display underneath the title / url just stumps me. It uses the footer at the bottom of my page which is not exactly the best description of the site. I've looked at the page through a spider simulator, and don't see any reason why it wouldn't choose to use one of the main paragraphs (or any portion thereof) or the meta description as the snippet it places under my title in the SERPS. Instead it puts the very last 2 phrases in the footer of my page.

I have basically the exact same setup (design, not content) for another site, www.asp-hosting-plans.com, and Google very nicely displays my meta description first, and then follows that with a snippet of fairly relevant text from the body of my page. Luckily, it doesn't just use the footer info like the jsp site.

Am scratching my head trying to figure out what Google's logic is behind this? I would love to make whatever change needed to get a better description in the SERPS for the jsp site. Any ideas?
  3. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Its Simple Donna:
    Just Change the words in your footer to what you want to be listed under as long as it does not overload your keyword density and stick the footer text in the middle of the page LOL
  5. Give me Backlinks
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

The only thing I could understand is that the description varies for every keyword and it actually picks up the text containing the keywords entered and some text in the proximity. Change the keyword, and the description will change as well. Yet I am also wondering how does google decide what to pick since the keyword may occur more than once on a page, and yet it picks up any one occurence and leaves another. The only thing I can conclude is that one needs to place some good content around all occurences of the keywords so that the description snippet doesn't appear weired.