1. SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

What is considered a non-competative keyword?

I am in an industry where it seems every keyword that is searched, is competative. The main ones are 60+Million (where we are ranked about 50 in G and top 3 in MSN). I started optimizing for some new kws... 10 all together, to try to get higher in G. They range from 1.6M to 9.5M. They are the least competative that are still decently searched kws that I could find. But then I see people talking about only 60,000 results! It would seem that would only get search a couple times a month?!?

Is there a somewhat "standard" number of competativeness or is it pretty industry related. How competative are the terms you optimize for compared to the monthly/daily searches??

*50th post!* (i know... but I gotta start somewhere lol)
  3. SEO Earthquake!
    SEO Chat Scholar (3000 - 3499 posts)

Put your competitive KW in here: http://www.digitalpoint.com/tools/suggestion/ and then optimize for the less looked for results. Also check your web logs to see what phrases people are actually entering to find you. Odds are there are many that you would have never thought of that are noncompetitive and that you can capitalize on.

I think there is a set number modified by industry (if that makes sense).

And the monthly/daily searches so far have proven to be bogus. I've had #1 spots accross all 3 SEs and not seen anything like the traffic reported by the suggestion tools.
    14th Colony: The hardest working websites online!

Looking for links? Join the Union and don't miss English Grammar rules, tips and explanations
  5. <--sharing means caring
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Originally Posted by rmccarley
    And the monthly/daily searches so far have proven to be bogus. I've had #1 spots accross all 3 SEs and not seen anything like the traffic reported by the suggestion tools.
    How do you know that they just didn't like your title tag and description and were clicking on the second site?
  7. SEO Earthquake!
    SEO Chat Scholar (3000 - 3499 posts)

Posible, sure, but the numbers weren't even close. I'd have to have had someting downright offensive to get that lack of responce.

Like, you may be cool, but you ain't no Wit
  9. SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

right, Ive used the digatlpoint and the overture tools to find these lesser searched terms that, I think, are not that competative. I figure that if i can get where i am with 60M competiters, I should be able to nail it with 1/10 of that.

And youre totally right on the monthly/daily searches. I have had top 3 in MSN with that same keyword where the competition is only 9M (rather than the 60M results in G), but dont get cary many daily form fills.

I am in the debt industry. It just seems that all the keywords are really competitive. and if theyre not, no one is searching them.

I am just curious is others are competing for kws with 50M+ competitors? whats the range? Is a real kw niche under 1M?? And getting searched enough? Does that really exist?
  11. Croatia - Hrvatska
    SEO Chat Skiller (1500 - 1999 posts)

How do you know that they just didn't like your title tag and description and were clicking on the second site?
    well title tag can influence on clicks, but this numbers are usually to big or not accurate
  13. Super Moderator
    SEO Chat Super Hero (2500 - 2999 posts)

I like to use wordtrackers keyword effectiveness index. It seems pretty accurate. Simply its a ratio of searches/results with some other variables thrown in. I have the formula written down but I dont feel like typing it.
    Work Smarter, Not Harder
  15. Contributing
    SEO Chat Hero (2000 - 2499 posts)

The overture suggestion tool seems to sort the words in the searches... like "my big waggon" will be listed "big my waggon" and only some rare searches are not sorted. So their listed "download program" might in fact be "program download"... maybe it's a big coincidence that most searches I look at there, the words of almost all of them are sorted from a to z and some even sound stupid.... lol

Comments on this post

• Wit agrees : ...not good for tracking exact searches :)
    Disclaimer : My posts on SEO are just from my observations and I do not say it is a true fact... A real fact of life is that, I'm often wrong...