1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

What am I doing wrong

Hi everyone,

This is my first time posting so I hope that I'm in the right place. I have had a website for over a year where I sell dog bows that I manufacture. My problem is that my position on google is very bad. I have tried the typically recommended things such as having a blog , twitter, facebook as well as press releases. Nothing seems to work and I have noticed pages that began long after mine appearing on the first google page after only several months.

The url of my website is bowsbymaudeDOTcom

If someone could tell me what I'm doing wrong I would be eternally greatful As it is, when I type in "Dog Bows" on google, I'm not even in the first 10 pages.. I think now, the only traffic that I get is from Ad Words and given my daily budget, it's not much

Thanks, Maude
  3. justificational oblivion
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

General

A)Get a logo created by a graphic designer

B)Create a more modern looking website that established Dog Bows by Maude as
    a brand

C)Currently, your site does nothing for user trust. There is nothing to reassure
    visitors that the site is secure.

D)It may be useful for visitors to see what a dog bow looks like on a dog. For
    visitors who may be unfamiliar with do bows (like me, lol [but then again, I'm
    not your target audience ] it may be confusing)

SEO

I think that the basics of SEO are not in here. I'd categorize your site as
    unoptimized. I'd recommend doing some reading online,joining SEObook &
    reading some of their materials on optimizing your website, or reading
    seomozs' seo basics guide.

Comments on this post

• EGOL agrees
  5. SEO Since 97
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

It's not that your doing anything wrong, your not doing nearly enough. as it stands now you need to do pretty much everything, add content, get better pictures, and if their dog bows...get some dogs in there. and as the rabbit mentioned, a good logo would also help. The pages aren't optimized either, but then there's not really much to optimize.

Comments on this post

• EGOL agrees
  7. No Profile Picture

Hi,

Thanks so much to both of you for responding to me. I am definitely going to upload a logo which is something I believe I know how to create myself. I'm wondering if it would help my page to create more categories for the items I sell. I mean, now it is essentially split up into three parts which refer mostly to the sizes of the items (5/8, 7/8 and then wholesale)..

I think I have a better understanding of what would look good to visitors who come to my website. What I'm not sure of though, is if images and logos will help my site get any better position on google.

I always thought that text was good for search engines as well as using clear and specific descriptions of my products.

Is there any specific company that you all reccomend that could be hired to design a page that will do better on google than what I have now (anything would be an improvement)..

Thanks, Maude
  9. No Profile Picture
    Permanently Banned

I remember, when I popped a lawyer that is a client of mine, he did it all, blogs, social media, hired an 'seo company' just for lawyers.

I popped him almost over night.

In his own words, so all that BS everyone is writing about 'seo' is BS, I said yeah, if they knew how to do SEO they would be too busy to be talking about how to do it.

You're not gonna reveal the tricks, if you know them.

That was a while ago, my first lawyer that BEGGED me to take him on as a client, now lawyers are one of my top income streams.

I HATE LAWYERS

But they sure can afford me.

You want to pop, go to a company that has a proven record. They will POP YOU.

You sell dog bows, so why you want to be a seo guru, stick to selling bows, let the SEO gurus do the popping.

Look for the #1 site on google for dog bows, see the footer the designer and seo team is usually there, ask them if they are taking on new clients. If they aren't, then look at #2 and #3, go to the proven seo guys for that niche, they're already there and most will add you gladly. Who does SEO for dog stuff? Not enough money cpc, so it's a minor niche and if you ask the top 5 or so sites on top of google, you will see who can do it easily

UPDATE

Ok I checked the serps, all top 3 position are EMDS since the term is low cost cpc value.

So minor name change

dogbowsbymaude

EMD's still pop the GOOG

since no one is buying the term for any major dollars

I'd put it on it's own IP too, hide the whois and just have a few pages of basic info, then LINK back to the shorter url for ordering and such.

Get a little video about what you do on youtube and since google owns youtube they like to see you cross promote their products.

So simple landing page with nice youtube video, on EMD hidden whois and its own IP address.

You build out a few pages landing page and some contact bs and link to the other site.

If your meta is right and you put a simple link from your main site to it, google will find it within a month and index it and the EMD will still work since the cpc value is NOTHING.

Just look at the top 3 organic spots all of them are crap, shopping carts with an EMD.

So that's the secret sauce for YOU.

EMD's only work now with LOW COST CPC TERMS

another case in point, while Cutts is saying EMD's don't work, unless they are quality, get real, three shopping carts is 'quality'. haha, more proof cutts is blowing smoke as usual.

UPDATE 2

Why you wasting time on this, there's only 285 impressions a day for 'dog bows' the cpc is nothing 1.42 cpc

For a lousy 20 bucks a day, you can OWN the category, with ppc, just have content that converts.

My advice, get a niche of the doggie market that has 100K a day in impressions, then you can build a real business.
    Last edited by 1leads; Nov 22nd, 2012 at 12:54 PM.
  11. Rebel Without a Clue

Originally Posted by 1leads
    You sell dog bows, so why you want to be a seo guru, stick to selling bows, let the SEO gurus do the popping.
    I disagree.

We went to an SEO 'Expert' ...and wasted a small fortune. In a long line of clients, with little understanding from the account managers, our site did nothing.

With help from the members on here, and a lot of reading here and on key SEO blogs, we now (as of today) hold 26 number one google slots and are climbing steadily on others. It hasn't been rocket science or any black magic, but just a steady, common sense approach. No one can match the passion of the person who lives and breathes the business, and a little knowledge can go a long way here as long as you stay on the white side of the line.

Bowsby, read around on here and you'll soon get an idea of what you need to do. I'm just a novice on this but your site looks exceedingly thin in terms of content. Add more descriptions, perhaps a blog too - not only a chance to add your keywords, but keeping your content fresh and indeed giving you / your customers a chance to feature your dogs in full bowed glory (This kind of relationship can be beneficial in building customer loyalty).

Update your site adding relevant but comprehensive content, then concentrate on building good backlinks - tools like ahrefs.com will give you an idea of the links your top competitors have - but go for quality above quantity. Connect with social media, particularly Google+ pages - all easy to set up and something you can do without spending a fortune on SEO gurus.
  13. Contributing User

Agree: however good backlinking is a problem for the novice
  15. Rebel Without a Clue

Originally Posted by Chedders
    Agree: however good backlinking is a problem for the novice
    I disagree - it's common sense. Some of the best backlinks we have for our site were built long before I had any clue about SEO, they were targeted because they were relevant, would help us build awareness and bring traffic. No rocket science involved, no link spamming, no black hat. I am also sure there's more success when site owners email for links, rather than SEO guys - we immediately delete emails from the latter but are more likely to strike up a conversation and potentially some mutually beneficial move with site owners.

A good starting point for links is to consider where your traffic could come from - relevant and complementary sites. Look at where your competitors have linked, select the best of those and widen your search so you plagiarise but improve. Use networking (Twitter's great for this) to build relationships and links with those in your industry.

If you're running your own business you don't have lots of spare time to devote to SEO but little and often helps - keep chipping away at it and it's satisfying to see the results.

I would say improving the site is very key in all of this, I have to say it does look a little amateurish currently and this could be off putting for anyone you'd like to link to.
  17. No Profile Picture

I would like to say a very big THANK YOU to everyone who took the time to respond to this thread. I really do appreciate the advice and I intend to make some pretty big changes to my page as per everyone's suggestions. Thank you all again

Maude
  19. No Profile Picture
    The Dog Guy

hey maude,

i was in your place in 2006.

I am no expert now, but I get by and read all these posts and keep up to date,.

I create content, make videos for youtube, get links to the site. have facebook.

THESE are all standard things to do once you have seo on page on your site. Its a full time job, but you can recruit friends and family to get links for you, or contract someone OS (cheaper).

Its a very competitive field now, and thats why we are here on this expert seo chat forum, to continually go to school.

Good luck.
  21. Contributing User

Originally Posted by AnkurGupta
    1. you should make a lot of back-links that have high pr values.
    2. Learn more about on page optimization
    your website's alexa rank is too high. you should work on that too.
    I would generally say the first bit is dodgy advice and the second bit right and the last bit is 100% rubbish.

Anyway, what I really wanted to say was my favourite joke:

"I went to a zoo and there was only one animal there, it was a Shih Tzu"