1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Weird non existent URLs in crawl errors report

Hi,

I'm very new to this and appreciate any help.

On my site there are many 404 crawl errors listed in Google Webmaster tools. Some are correct and some are URLs that I never 301 or forgot to. I'm fixing those right now that can be fixed and anything that really is 404, leaving it if there is no place to 301.

However, google is indexing URLs on my site that do not exist. And they are reporting these URLs in the crawl error reports. Either somehow our CMS is creating these URLS (I have no idea how, but all the reading ive been doing said something like that) or people linking to incorrect URLs on their external sites somehow got those URLs indexed? I don't know what could it be. Anyone have experience on their sites with URLs indexed that are nonexistent?

Here's an example of a URL that is non existent but shows in crawl errors report.

/reasons-to-smile/delicious-tea-ideas

However, I may have two real separate URLs called /reasons-to-smile and /delicious-tea-ideas.

Somehow these true URLs that do exist are being combined into 1 new URL that does not exist. Many of the non existent URLs are combined URLs from ones that do exist.

Thanks for reading and any help you can provide.
  3. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Super Genius (4500 - 4999 posts)

Just a guess - Joomla.

But the problem really lies in using relative URL paths as opposed to absolute paths. Look deeper at the data you're given, though. You should have a "linked from" tab at the top of the 404 report (click into the 404 url).

From there you can see what pages are linking to the dead links, and you can then fix the issue.

Comments on this post

• joshz agrees : Genius.
  5. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Thanks for your response. When I click to see where the URL is linked to, it shows my own internal links. When I go to those links, I do not see any links at all to the non existent URL. It makes no sense as to how that is possible.
  7. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

I've seen a large rise in this issue during March on several of the websites I manage - but they are all bad inbound links.

At first I suspected some backward SEO company was building 'bad links' because they thought it would affect our rankings but when I went to their websites I found the links were valid.

Now this is the (very wierd) issue. These external sites are normally your usual 'content but no content' - a bunch of videos and a bunch of links generated from search results - in many cases bing search results.

The search results looked pretty normal:
    This is the page title in the search
    Here is some info, probably from the meta description tag
    http://thesite.com/here-is-the-page-url.php

The 'This is the page title in the search' linked perfectly but when the page URL was too long it would truncate - perhaps to
    http://thesite.com/here-is-the-page-ur...

Google picked up this URL (even though it was not a hyperlink) and logged it as a broken link!

Only started in March so hopefully just a temp thing...

Anyone else seen similar?
  9. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Super Genius (4500 - 4999 posts)

Look for extra slashes, any link that includes ../ (or any with two or more . next to each other), and links that don't include http

The answer is there somewhere - but it's hard to find sometimes.

Don't forget to check menus as well.