1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Website speed problem

Looking at the google webmaster tool, I have noticed that google consider some importants pages of my domains to slow to be charged as the show all the products that we sell at the same time. For this reason I am thinking in making subpages that shows 10 results per time. However I believe that this page is very useful for my clients so I would like to keep it.

My question is adding a no index to this page will avoid Google to consider my website faster as this page wont be in his index?
    if not which solutions do you suggest to fix this issue.

Thanks
  3. No Profile Picture
    EGOL
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

My site would have to be reeeeeeeeeeeeeally freeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeking slow before I deindex a category page.
    * "It's not the size of the dog in the fight that matters, it's the size of the fight in the dog." Mark Twain
    * "Free advice isn't worth much. Cheap advice is worth even less." EGOL
  5. Digital Marketing
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Originally Posted by divino
    Hi Divino! I would make your pages load faster

Comments on this post

• EGOL agrees
    • Peter Blood agrees
  7. Scourge of the Sea

Deindexing the pages to me sounds like cutting off your hand to remove a splinter in your thumb.

There are most likely a variety of things you can do to improve your site's performance. Our site also had relatively poor performance ratings in GWT, but after some tweaking I have managed to reduce the average page load by a factor of about 5.

There are a variety of external tools which can assess a given page's performance. Two that I recommend are tools.pingdom.com and webpagetest.org. I recommend running your URL through each of these about 5 times before you do anything to get a good snapshot of what your site's performance is like now, so that you can measure the effects of your efforts.

Then I would recommend installing the Google Page Speed plugin for Firebug, which you can download from the Webmaster Tools. This plugin will quickly illuminate any areas that need improvement, of which you will likely have many. In my experience I can say some of the biggest improvements I noticed were from parallelizing requests, converting multiple images to sprites, and compressing PNGs (I had no idea that Photoshop did not support PNG compression, so our images where much larger than they should have been).

I also learned something about the nature of CSS from looking at our waterfall charts, which is that all images in your CSS will be downloaded, even if they are referenced by a class or element not on that page. For example, we used a global CSS file, which had some background images for certain elements on various pages, but I noticed that all of said images were being fetched no matter which page I was on! I have since split up our CSS so that only the relevent markup for any given page is present on that page, and it has dramatically reduced the total size and load time of our pages. This might be common knowledge, but it was news to me.

During this process (and after) you'll want to keep checking your work with the external tools I mentioned, in order to monitor your progess. Given about a day's work, you should be able to garner a pretty handsome improvement in load time.

Comments on this post

• EGOL agrees : Aye!
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Dont commit suicide ! What good will noindexing the page serve you ? It will only reduce the number of search engine visitors .
    Speed up the page by using

1)Advanced CSS techniques (CSS SPRITES for eg)
    2)Gzip compression
    3)PHP / Mod Rewrite function
    4)Caching the page
    5)Combining CSS and Javascript to be served as one
    6)Minify Theme template files
    7)Use a CDN

I have some very heavy pages on my site but none have a higher loading time than a max 3.5 secs . Use all the options mentioned above properly , you will have a faster site .

Originally Posted by divino
    My question is adding a no index to this page will avoid Google to consider my website faster as this page wont be in his index?

Thanks
  11. SEO Consultant
    SEO Chat High Scholar (3500 - 3999 posts)

Originally Posted by techlunatic
    Dont commit suicide ! What good will noindexing the page serve you ? It will only reduce the number of search engine visitors .
    Speed up the page by using

1)Advanced CSS techniques (CSS SPRITES for eg)
    2)Gzip compression
    3)PHP / Mod Rewrite function
    4)Caching the page
    5)Combining CSS and Javascript to be served as one
    6)Minify Theme template files
    7)Use a CDN

I have some very heavy pages on my site but none have a higher loading time than a max 3.5 secs . Use all the options mentioned above properly , you will have a faster site .
    Great advice from a new poster.

To add, if you use FireFox get YSlow, they have tools such as the image crusher that will compress your images. You can also (as stated above) compress and combine code and remove spaces and dead areas of code from your documents.

On number 7, CDN MAY NOT justify the cost/benefits in this situation. Everything else is spot on.
    www.joshz.net - SEO Web Design | On-Page SEO | SEO Audits & Reports | Link Building
    BASED IN ATLANTA, GA. Contact: Skype/Phone/Email (Discounted rates available for SEOChat members only - email josh@joshz.net)
    Please EMAIL me at the above address and do not send Private Messages. I rarely check them and your message will be lost.
  13. No Profile Picture

Thanks to you all! I was impressed by the number of reply I had received to my post! Great Forum!

Regards from Barcelona Spain!

Divino