Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Website disappeared from Organic Results

I recently did some on-page optimization for a company's website. After doing quite a bit of work optimizing the main page for certain keywords, density, description, etc, now the page doesn't show up for organic searches at all.

They were a mess, 700 keywords, etc. But now that it's streamlined it's a not appearing at all. What did I do wrong?
  3. SEO Insultant
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

You didn't mention anything that has any effect on rankings. I mean: 'certain keywords', density, description??? You may well have streamlined things but still:
    - aggressive changes may cause webpages to (temporarily?) lose their rankings
    - changes involving factors that Google and other major search engines don't value, won't have any positive effect.

P.S.: also know that your question has little to do with Google Pagerank - so I've moved your thread.

P.P.S.: this here thread is still valid in many ways:
    I have lost my rankings, Google has dropped me PLEASE READ BEFORE STARTING A THREAD!!
    Last edited by dzine; Feb 18th, 2013 at 09:54 AM.
  5. No Profile Picture

Thanks for the great help. I'll read this thread before posting anything further.
  7. No Profile Picture

After reading the above article, I'm still concerned. Last week my company was showing in the first 10 results for our most important keyword. Today, we are completely non-existent. I am worried that I may have messed something up with my on-page seo optimization. Is it possible that I may have overstepped the SEO features and lost our rank completely? I can still find our page using different, more specific keywords, but now the more general keywords I search for doesn't show our page.
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

It is just too hard to tell without more information.
    A lot of people THINK they are doing on page optimization when in fact they are just making the page look like spam to a bot.
    Other times the changes were necessary but temporarily kill rankings as the algo tries to decide if you suddenly got bought by a spammer or are still a decent site.

Check to make sure your page doesn't read like a 3rd graders homework. Then concentrate on other areas like link building known to make an actual difference.
  11. SEO Consultant
    SEO Chat High Scholar (3500 - 3999 posts)

I often give tax help around this time of the year even though I don't know anything about taxes.

I've screwed up my clients taxes after being paid for it.

Can somebody help me?

Odds are you screwed up the title tags or something. Maybe noindexed the site, who knows. I'd help more... But I need to fix these tax papers...

Comments on this post

• realityhack agrees
    Last edited by joshz; Feb 18th, 2013 at 12:17 PM.
    www.V2INTERACTIVE.net - SEO Web Design | On-Page SEO | SEO Audits & Reports | Link Building
    BASED IN ATLANTA, GA. Contact: Skype/Phone/Email (Discounted rates available for SEOChat members only - email seochat@v2interactive.net)
    Please EMAIL me at the above address and do not send Private Messages. I rarely check them and your message will be lost.
  13. No Profile Picture

I've checked Webmaster's Tools and I've discovered the problem. I had to find answers to my questions elsewhere, despite the helpfulness of some of you (thank you, by the way.) I just didn't know how to ask the correct question. It's rather unfortunate to me that some people are more into patronizing than providing valuable feedback. I am not an SEO expert, which is why I come to forums, such as this, to ask questions from those of you that understand the complexities of SEO more than I.

Thanks for your help Joshz.
  15. SEO Consultant
    SEO Chat High Scholar (3500 - 3999 posts)

Originally Posted by IAmABananaco
    Thanks for your help Joshz.
    No problem, buddy.
  17. SEO Since 97

Originally Posted by IAmABananaco
    I've checked Webmaster's Tools and I've discovered the problem. I had to find answers to my questions elsewhere, despite the helpfulness of some of you (thank you, by the way.) .
    What was the problem? I had no idea what you did wrong or where to look but interested in what it was.
  19. No Profile Picture

I made changes to the meta keywords and I thought that was the issue, but I am now reading about how meta keywords are not as important as I once thought. The keywords our company likes to focus on are strong for other search engines outside of Google. So I checked Webmaster Tools and saw that Google wasn't showing our main keywords under "Content Keywords." So instead of artificially bolstering content on our main page, I am going to circumvent the issue and build more internal pages that focus more completely on these separate keywords more organically.

I thought it was an issue with "boilerplate or common words," but it was a little more fundamental than that: the content just wasn't friendly enough for the keywords we were hoping to optimize. So instead of trying to force it, I am going a different, more user-friendly route to achieve the goal we're looking for. Problem solved!

Like I said, since I don't know all the answers, I just have to read everything I can get my hands on about SEO. I've found a better way to optimize, I just should've done my own research before reaching out with a silly question.

Thanks for everyone's help.
  21. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I don't understand. You've theorized a solution, not implemented it yet, and declared the problem solved? How is it solved before the rankings come back? Did I miss something?

Content keywords do not equal rank. I have a lot of content keywords that I don't rank for, and I rank for others that are not nearly as numerous as per the WMT. Don't use content keywords as a proxy for your SERP.

If you've been making changes recently, there has been a lot of Google flux lately due to updates (my site disappeared, then roared back to the 1st page after 2 weeks). Your website changes may not have anything at all to do with the SERP changes.

Comments on this post

• joshz agrees : "You've theorized a solution, not implemented it yet, and declared the problem solved?" :) This is what I'm talking about and that's why I picked sarcasm over help.
    Last edited by canuckjgc; Feb 19th, 2013 at 11:30 AM.
  23. No Profile Picture

The problem isn't solved, no. It has been shelved because I don't, as of yet, know how to fix the problem. So I am circumventing it for the time being. I don't honestly know why it appears that our page has fallen off the search for our two biggest keywords, but I am guessing it doesn't have anything to do with the changes I've made, because I didn't really do much other than decreasing clutter and updating alt tags for images that needed them. So I didn't break anything, which is what I was concerned with. But I am still trying to understand how/why our page isn't appearing on the ranks for those certain keywords; I am still reading up on the possible reasons for it. The best answer I have right now is that I just don't know.

Mainly, I didn't change anything drastic. I didn't add content or change content. So I am just trying to uncover why it happened, while making lemonade.

It may be, like you said, Google flux.
    Last edited by IAmABananaco; Feb 19th, 2013 at 01:48 PM.
  25. SEO Since 97

If you made changes, then you dropped...you can bet your bottom dollar it was what you did and not a Google flux.
    After doing quite a bit of work optimizing the main page for certain keywords, density, description, etc, now the page doesn't show up for organic searches at all.
    Not knowing what you actually did, how can you say the above and then say:
    Mainly, I didn't change anything drastic. I didn't add content or change content
    How did you optimize for certain keywords and density and not add or change any content?
  27. No Profile Picture

I think another thing here which hasnt been discussed is the fact that you may of done too much optimisation and potentially caused an 'over-optimisation' penalty on your site/page. This is quite common and easy to achieve if you go too mad too quick on content updating etc.
  29. No Profile Picture

There were over 700 meta keywords and meta keyword phrases which have existed since the site was created over 4 years ago. I dropped that list down to 12 of the most valuable. Then I added alt tag information on exactly 4 images that didn't currently have them. I shortened the meta description, which too long. Then I added our company slogan in our title tag, which was only 5 words. Of what I did change, most was removing a lot of excess and streamlining the SEO on the page.

I wasn't aware that there was a penalty for too much optimization on the page. I will read up on that, as that may have been the case, considering from we came from--which was fat and excessive--to a leaner, more precise build. I misspoke when I said I didn't change content, of course I did. I was speaking more toward the addition of new keywords, and changing the direction of the on-page SEO.

Also, when I mentioned before that WMT aren't showing our a few of our most targeted keywords, those are some of the ones that I left when changing the keyword density. They had always existed, but they were buried.

I will read more about over optimization penalties and see if that could've been the case.

Thanks again for your help everyone, I am learning a great deal from you all.
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page: