Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Thumbs down Warning Ref link partners

Just thought I would allow you all in on my experiences over the last 7 days.
    I could not believe google would drop so many back links for my site since they started their changes months ago and agree they now only count pr 4 and above links pages.
    I investigated by clicking on every one of my link partners listed on my links pages and proceeded to check for a link back from their sites.
    I know this sounds time consuming but it needed to be done to gain a conclusion and has taken me 7 days of my time.
    To my horror, I say again to my horror! I was amazed at how many had either dropped my link, or started using no index tag in their links pages OR dropped their links pages completely, Or started using java links to prevent pr leakage, OR used robots txt to prevent spider indexing their links pages and a few others like frames pulling links from a single site thus looking like their multiple sites had our link across many sites but really only giving us the benefit of one link back.
    I'm not at all happy about this as it's taken me nearly 2 years to gain them links only for the smarmy bas**** webmasters to drop them like flies - Its a good job we have egol, webby and a few others who taught me internal page rank management via their posts resulting in our number one rank remaining static at number one even though we lost over 1400 back links in the last couple of months from these yucky webmasters who panic or just lost the plot completely.
    At no time during the last four months did I panic and start changing my site, however I did view some really great posts on these forums from desparate people and their theories , to be honest I went to bed laughing at some of them
    I've had it with asking for links , I'll now move on to building internal good quality pages within my sites , at least they can't be pulled down by people who have nothing but their own interests at heart.
    What goes around comes around, do good and it will come back ten times bigger , do bad and guess what?
    I urge you all to do as I did and hopefully those who are guilty will receive a great big slap in the face ref their rank as we all drop them from our sites, I dumped them all so there!
    Way to go and do it now , you may find the same pr leakage is happening to your sites.
    How many in these forums are guilty of the above reported obscene practice I wonder.
    Post your reaction here as I would love to hear your excuses for removing hard earned link partner sites from your links pages placed on misinformation regarding page rank zero links pages in google that eventually regained their rank to pr 4 - 5 .
    O and btw , those that dropped my links after 1000's of hours work - May the fleas of a thousand camels infest your ****holes

Comments on this post

• EGOL agrees
    Last edited by maluk; Sep 21st, 2003 at 11:12 AM.
  3. No Profile Picture
    EGOL
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Thanks for sharing that maluk... I am very sorry to hear it as I know that you have worked very very hard.

Up until now I have not participated in link exchange but have instead obtained my PR by building hundreds of pages and buying a few high quality links from the websites of trade associations in my field.

I recently decided to build a small group of sites that would rely upon the PR power of link exchange - maybe I should delay that project. One of my worries is that what you describe might happen - but I suspected that it would only occur on a small scale.

Does anyone know of software that monitors link trade partners to be sure that their links are maintained?
  5. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

Folks have been "scripting" their links for sometime.

I have mentioned it repeatedly on this forum.

Sorry that you got zapped by your "link partners".

The real problem is that the indexers don't expose the underlying links.

Basically the SE software folks haven't really given all the thought to what determines a "link" that is required.

Cheers,
    theBear
  7. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

EGOL,

Hmmmm... I could make something like that really easily (a tool to monitor your link partners), could even let people use their keyword tracker/back link tracker username and password to do it.

Would something like that be of interest to anyone?

- Shawn
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

EGOL,

I believe this service checks to make sure those people you are linking to link back:

http://www.linksmanager.com

Hope that helps,

Eric
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Shawn - if you could make a freebie link checker, you'd be an even bigger legend than you already are

I don't think it's a small task though - obviously, links from a site typically go to the home page of another site, their reciprocal links back could be just about anywhere - some sites have hundreds of links pages, finding the one that has yours on it could be a rather big pain.

Links manager for example has a bot that crawls each site looking for the links... I guess we could specify a page for you where the link should be to make it easier, but if you've got a lot of links that could take days to enter in all the info ;)
  13. Contributing User

Yeah... was thinking about that myself (for the peeps that have dynamic link pages... your links might move around a bit).

And don't really want to make a full-blown spider...

But I could very easily make a mini-link checker (where you would need to know the back link URL, not just domain)...

- Shawn
  15. Give me Backlinks

Shawn, what about a tool that reports link text from sites regardless of 'PR4 or more' factor? It then becomes easier to know how many links (with link text) will it take for targetting a particular keyword and one can then decide in favour of or against going for the keyword.

Too many expectations from you...:grin:
  17. Modsky
    SEO Chat Skiller (1500 - 1999 posts)

Either that shawn or you could use something like zeus has ( I dont use zeus), a mandatory themeindexpage or something like that, and have it have 2 commands, search first page if find "next" button search "next page" etc a little more work but would be worth a dollar or 2
  19. Contributing User

Problem with that is link partners aren't all going to use a standard formatted page. And I sure as hell don't want to get flooded with people emailing me asking why my thing says there is no link, when there *is* a link (just on a different page).

I get enough emails as it is with people asking stupid questions with the keyword tracker... I get this about 50 emails a day asking why the keyword tracker can't find their placement, and it's always the same answer... either they setup their account to not search that deep, or they entered the URL wrong... like www.digitalpoint.com, when Google returns digitalpoint.com...

So the only way I would do it would be if it could be idiot proof... I don't need to be supporting it as my job for free. and as of right now, I don't see a way to do that... Other than just say... you need to know the link URL exactly.

- Shawn
  21. Contributing User

Originally posted by digitalpoint

----snipeth

So the only way I would do it would be if it could be idiot proof... I don't need to be supporting it as my job for free. and as of right now, I don't see a way to do that... Other than just say... you need to know the link URL exactly.

- Shawn
    Even when knowing the exact URL the link is on you are still left in the dark, consider:

home page links to page2 and page2 links to page3 but the link is on page4 and page4 is not linked to by any other page on the site.

Cheers,
  23. Contributing User

True... was also thinking of having an optional "strict" mode, where the links page would need to be linked to from the home page.

- Shawn
  25. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Thanks everyone for viewing this thread and I hope you learn by its contents.
    I've calmed down a little since my previous post and edited out the bad words used in my first rant, ooops.
    My advise to any new website owner is to go with a big link campaign, then forget it , don't waste your time spending thousands of hours creating back links for your site like I did only for them to disappear , far better to build real content into your site resulting in increased pr then wait for those to contact you for link exchange but vet them very carefully.
    Cheers Egol
    Mal
    Im Very calm and about to take up yoga to realease the stress:-?
  27. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Originally posted by maluk
    My advise to any new website owner is to go with a big link campaign, then forget it , don't waste your time spending thousands of hours creating back links for your site like I did only for them to disappear , far better to build real content into your site resulting in increased pr then wait for those to contact you for link exchange but vet them very carefully.
    Hi maluk,

When you say "go with a big link campaign", do you mean the "build real content" in the later part of the sentence, or something else entirely?
  29. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

When you launch your new site you need to gain some back links to enable a listing in Google, so what I was stating above is -
    Go with a big external site linking campain, say about a weeks works , then forget about gaining external links, your time is better spent building your own internal links by building content pages within your site.
    I spent way to much time on gaining links from other sites who then decided to dump their links pages , hide the links froim the search engine spiders or some other not very nice tricks they may have used.
    I now build content into my sites daily and no longer ask for links.
    I get around 15 - 20 link requests a day from other sites wishing to place a link on my site, out of those I may add just 1 as most dont understand how to build effective link pop or are trying to gain a link without giving my site the benefit, by using silly techniques they feel I may not know about.
    To conclude - someone in these forums stated "gain one good
    back link a day and soon you'll gain great results"
    I second that, and its achievable without ever asking for a link once you've completed your one and only link campain.
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page: