Thread: W3c validator

1. No Profile Picture
    Banned
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

W3c validator

Good morning ,

Looking for some advice i currently have a site hosted with a company who have lots of diffrent sites in the same industry ,
    when i do w3c validator i have 78 errors and 63 warnings ,when i check one of my competiors who are also designed and hosted with the exact same people they have no errors or warnings.

Is this something i should hassle them to sort out,is it important in seo for this to pass or is this a regular thing and i should just carry on ???

please advise
  3. No Profile Picture

When code is valid search engines can crawl your sites better. Remember to validate your (x)html from every site and CSS also.

I have also read that using div's in the layout is more efficient for search engines than using tables.

Usually there is few mistakes(etc unclosed tags) wich can cause the multiple errors and warnings.

Comments on this post

• googler : This is a myth
  5. No Profile Picture
    Banned

Originally Posted by ville6000
    When code is valid search engines can crawl your sites better. Remember to validate your (x)html from every site and CSS also.

I have also read that using div's in the layout is more efficient for search engines than using tables.

Usually there is few mistakes(etc unclosed tags) wich can cause the multiple errors and warnings.
    but they have exact same website with the same products just a diffrent product should i purse this to be resolved
  7. SEO Consultant
    SEO Chat Genius (4000 - 4499 posts)

Search engines will actually index and rank a site with really messy code just as well as one with great code as long as it doesn't break the parser whilst crawling it.

If you can see the page in the cache and the title and description in the SERPs looks sensible, then its probably OK.

Table v Divs, well whether it makes any difference to ranking is questionable. Its true that table based sites are more easily broken but I think algorithms have far suparsed these limitations now. A table and div site can look exaclty the same, so if they did - why should they rank any different?

W3C validation is something that is good to strive for and can have user bennefits. If a site goes into quirks mode (due to poor invalid code) it can take much longer to load.

The difference you are experiencing could be as simple as an incorrect DTD (Document Type Definition) or XML declaration.
    I would definately question the company that built the site on it.

W3C isn't a requirement for a good ranking site but it is a good thing to strive for.