Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Very Poor Conversion Rate

Hi,
    As the title indicates, my e-commerce site has a very poor conversion rate. I assigned CPC Adwords and Facebook campaign management to the seo expert that I worked with in the past
    for this holiday season. I was hoping to boost my sales through these ads campaigns, but ended up
    spending as much as I made from the ads on both Adwords and Facebook.
    The seo guy was very disappointed and surprised to say the least. My website had a conversion rate of 0.37%

So I am here asking your opinion about why the rate is so poor. Does it have to do the website's design/layout,
    color, product images, call-to-action button issue etc. What could it be?
    Here's my site: savdana.com
  3. Contributing User

Hi,

I had a look at the website, I even tried to buy something adding to the cart: to me it looks fine, what I think is this: your business is some sort of niche, it's not like mobiles or pc, so maybe the problem could be that the visitors of your website are not all of them potential customers, but just people searching for some info. What I mean is this: take for istance this keyowrd: STATUES DE BOUDDHA - it doesn't necessarly mean, if I type this on Google, that I'm willingly to buy something, the same way like searching for a Van Gogh painting doesn't mean that. If you search mobile, android ect. probably you want info too, but eventually you'll want definitely to buy something, but here the keys of your business are not, IMO, necessarily shopping related. I don't know if this is the case, but maybe you should be careful in your Adwords campain to put mostly exact match keywords that include words selling related, like "cheap" "buy" "shipping" and so on, so you will be sure all the visitors of your site are looking for something to buy. Moreover, as I've stated before, your business is of course very peculiar, the conversion rate is different amongst different branches of business, so we cannot make a comparison with, say, a mobile phone e-commerce. Hope it helps and make sense.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Hi Andrew78,
    Thanks for your input.
    My SEO guy talked about the poor conversion rate on my site with his friends that are in the same business. According to them the main points of concern are following:
    1) No contrasting colors on the website.
    2) Call-to-action button (I think they mean, add to cart) too far.
    2) Website too dark. Should give preference to white background.
    3) Product images on dark background is a turn-off. So should retake pictures on white background which is the norm in online business.

Originally I chose the colors of the site to separate myself from other sellers that were using plain white. But I guess using white has a reason.
    What I am really concerned about is taking product pictures on white. As you can see I sell a lot of silver jewels. And from my experience taking their pictures on white is not a simple task as even a minor flaw on the product or a tiny finger print etc will get accentuated, otherwise not visible to a naked eye. But I see many big brands and luxury brands using white.
  7. Digital Marketing
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Hire an experienced Google Certified, Adwords professional. Your SEO vendors are clueless and they're doing it wrong.

Comments on this post

• craigseo agrees : Spot on :D
    • Doodled agrees
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Hi KernelPanic,
    Where do I find google certified adwords professionals?
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

Originally Posted by hurray
    Where do I find google certified adwords professionals?
    May I suggest.....

13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

As said before, it's hard to say as your website is very niche, but with a conversion rate of just 0.37% it seems like there is something more going on that just the colours and design of the page.
  15. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

I thought I have the worst conversation rate. But look at that - 0.37%! Wow. Yes, it might have to do with the design of the site. You might want to look into creating a more interactive and visually appealing website that is easy to navigate by any average visitor. Also, review the content of your website. Are you providing relevant information about your niche. Are your contents informative enough for visitors to read? This is all about what you have on your site.
  17. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I have now changed the colors of my website to lighter colors and will be taking pictures of all my products on white background instead of black as it is right now.
    But I think the poor conversion rate also has to do with the SEO guy's inability to correctly choose the keywords of my website on google adwords campaign.
  19. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

During a trial period of 2 weeks, I spent close to $300 to make around $250 through google adwords. So I asked the SEO guys to stop the campaign.
  21. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Hi Hurray,

One thing I noticed straight away is that the site is not well optimised for conversions on mobile. I initially looked at the site on my phone and trying to find ways to click through to products was very difficult and unclear (I could only get to a product by clicking on the photo, not on the price or name of product, and not all photos took me to q product page). Given mibile traffic has now overtaken desktop, this could be huge factor you may have overlooked. Have you checked what devices your traffic is coming from?

Also, as you mentioned the website design is a little outdated - personally I would less be concerned with white backgrounds (although it is often seen in popular ecommerce sites, and may be favoured by users for it's clean look) but rather I would advise you have the site redesigned and made more modern and focus on trust. Conversion, especially on ecom sites, is all about getting the user to trust you are authentic, selling a quality product and that your website is secure enough to buy through.

Hope that helps.
  23. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Thanks EmilyFed for your very generous advice.
  25. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

No problem
  27. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

Originally Posted by hurray
    During a trial period of 2 weeks, I spent close to $300 to make around $250 through google adwords. So I asked the SEO guys to stop the campaign.
    The blind leading the blind!

- Did the $300 deliver enough visitors for you to make a statistically valid conclusion on each keyword that they were not working?
    - Did you break down those visitors to see which types of visitors converted better than others so you could refine your campaign?

I don't work for Google but it does my head in when people make statements like you have done and then just think "Oh, it doesn't work". $300 is such a small amount I doubt either of the above questions could be answered by it...

Comments on this post

• KernelPanic agrees
  29. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Well, the seo guy was simultaneously running a facebook campaign as well. Actually he started facebook campaign before google adwords. And the money made there was less than the money spent. So when the same scenario started to occur on adwords, we stopped it. Analyzing keywords and visitors was his job and and he could not understand how so little of the visitors converted. Thus he put a question out to few of this friends in the same business and they came up with suggestions about the site. I mentioned those on top of this thread.
    So he asked me to make changes to the website before restarting the campaign as not doing so would be useless according to him.
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page: