1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Very Important SEO Question

Hello

I run an optimized site, lets call it www.e-happydays.com and we are ranked number one on google for the keyword "happydays" but not for the keyword "happy days" (happy space days). Does anybody know why this could be or what I can do to get us recognized for happy (space) days? Thank you very much for your help.
  3. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Skiller (1500 - 1999 posts)

This is because you don't have enough people linking to you with the phrase " Happy Days " as their anchor text. Take a look through the SEOChat FAQ in my sig for a bit more on the importance of anchor text.
  5. KSL Consulting
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Your Google position against certain keyword phrases is to a reasonable extent based on the number and quality of links from other web sites that point to your site and is less related to on-page optimisation. In other words if you have many links pointing to your web site with the anchor text of the links saying "happy days" then this will go towards raising your Google search engine ranking against that term and will improve your ranking in most of the other search engines too. Here is an example of a link to boost happy days ranking:-
    <a href="http://www - your url in here"><b>Happy Days</b></a><br>Put your site description in here.

It may be that you don't have many links pointing at "Happy Days" and that may be the reason why you don't rank well against that term. You should also be aware that having too many links pointing to your site using the same anchor text may also work against you and give you and over-optimisation penalty. It is therefore advisable to change your anchor text regularly.

Good luck,
    Steve

Originally Posted by JMW82
    Hello

I run an optimized site, lets call it www.e-happydays.com and we are ranked number one on google for the keyword "happydays" but not for the keyword "happy days" (happy space days). Does anybody know why this could be or what I can do to get us recognized for happy (space) days? Thank you very much for your help.
  7. KSL Consulting

Sorry Jason, you must have posted your message the just before mine and it says the same thing! Apologies...
  9. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Skiller (1500 - 1999 posts)

Originally Posted by newbieuk23
    You should also be aware that having too many links pointing to your site using the same anchor text may also work against you and give you and over-optimisation penalty.
    Its OK to debate this idea (and it is worht the time spent on it) but should you really be providing it as fact to a newbie?
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

Its OK to debate this idea (and it is worht the time spent on it) but should you really be providing it as fact to a newbie?
    There are many ways to approach SEO and methods potentially considered "risky" for rankings: accept the risk and using strong spamming methods, adopting tricky solutions that search engines currently are not able to detect and building features that, today and in the near future, search engines want to reward.

While it is true that there are not proves that currently keyword stuffing in anchor text can be penalized as it was keyword stuffing in page body text, there is no doubt that search engines would like to be able to detect it and to react accordingly, for istance ignoring some suspicious links. Maybe some search engine already does these analyses.

Maybe newbieuk23 should have been used the term "could" instead of "may", but the general advice of avoiding unnatural features, regardless of the fact they are penalyzed or not, still remains a good one.
    Please, please, help tsunami survivors making a donation: UNICEF - Red Cross
  13. Wine Geek
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

I'm surprised Chachi hasn't chimed in here...the fonz may have something to do with your ranking troubles.

Seriously though, just get more links for that phrase like Jason says.

Cygnus
  15. No Profile Picture
    Banned

Lack of bonus for domain

You are certainly going to get a bonus from google for having those two words in the domain name however, .....

Because their is no break ie e-happy-days.com you wont get as high of a bonus sinc google will treat e-happydays.com as two words and not 3.

But I would have to agree your ranking is depending on your anchor text links. If you want to rank for happy days build links with that in the anchor . Otherwise google with just rank happydays domain higher because the two words are together.