1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Question Value of subdomain v main domain for keyword ranking

From all that I have read on the subject I am led to understand that when the domain name is the same as the prime keyword then this will be beneficial for keyword ranking

Does anyone have any experience of whether this would also apply to subdomains, and if so whether the benefits would be as high?
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

subdomains worked well in msn search as it saw them as separate sites, but no where else.
    Yes, domain names with keywords included have been given more weight over the last year. Personally domain name.com/keyword/ works just fine today.
  5. learn from lurking
    SEO Chat Super Hero (2500 - 2999 posts)

it works depends on how you do it and the strategy that your apply to rank that particular kw..
  7. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Hero (2000 - 2499 posts)

Don't always do what as per you "Search Engine Likes". Try to concentrate on how you can serve the best to the visitors. Keeping that thing in mind, develop a site.

1. I personally feel keywords in domain name is having little impact in ranking. Try to figure out a domain name that is easy to remember for the visitors. If your site has nothing, but having a keyword rich domain name - don't think that site will rank. If you have a catchy and easy to remember domain name, but a worst content - result will be same. So Concentrate on content, other onpage stuffs and link building. If you have these things inplace don't need to think about domain name.

2. Regarding sub domain, use it when it really require. If your idea of implementation can be successful in sub directories, go for it. If subdomain is really a requirement - we should go for it then only. This is what I feel.
  9. Busting SEOChat Spammers!
    SEO Chat High Scholar (3500 - 3999 posts)

Originally Posted by new_seo
    Don't always do what as per you "Search Engine Likes". Try to concentrate on how you can serve the best to the visitors. Keeping that thing in mind, develop a site.

1. I personally feel keywords in domain name is having little impact in ranking. Try to figure out a domain name that is easy to remember for the visitors. If your site has nothing, but having a keyword rich domain name - don't think that site will rank. If you have a catchy and easy to remember domain name, but a worst content - result will be same. So Concentrate on content, other onpage stuffs and link building. If you have these things inplace don't need to think about domain name.

2. Regarding sub domain, use it when it really require. If your idea of implementation can be successful in sub directories, go for it. If subdomain is really a requirement - we should go for it then only. This is what I feel.
    Yup I agree you should only really use a sub-domain if you need to, other wise you should just use a new folder so your url is domain.com/folder/keyword.html I think it looks much better and people know its the same site (as some sites like hosts sell of sub-domains).

For the keywords in the domain I do personally think it helps but its not a large factor in any sort of ranking, it just looks better and lets your visitor know where they are going. That's my opinion
    New To SEOChat? See Here & the FAQ's

"stupid people say stupid things, and smart people out smart each other!" SOAD
    301 Redirects | SEO Tools | Default htaccess | CuteRank