1. Poker Chick
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

Value of local back links to local site

I've searched the forum for posts about the relative value of back links from local sites (vendors) to the value of back links from national sites and didn't find any. If anyone knows of how to search it here, please let me know and I'll do my homework.

If not, my questions...

Let's say you have a site for a venue that hosts weddings. Would you be better off getting back links from local sites - local florist, caterers, photographers, etc. or getting links from national sites that really can't do anything for you in the way of referring businesses to your venue? Does google give you more "points" for being recognized locally—with back links—since you are only concerned with business from locals?

Thanks.

jb
    Frankly, I wonder who Frank is and why he has his own adverb.
  3. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Super Genius (4500 - 4999 posts)

Both would help. I'd start locally, as you'll probably have a better success rate at getting links.

But think about it - If you're going out of town for anything, who do you ask where the best place to go is? Do you ask friends from your area that are likely to have the same likes & dislikes as you, or do you ask locals?

In reality, there's not a definite answer. Either opinion has its advantages and disadvantages. The same is true of links. A national website saying you're the best place in that particular town, and a local website saying your the best place in town could potentially be seen as equals.
  5. Poker Chick
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

Good points.

My concern is that national back links - say from a brand name bridal gown site could only speak to content on the site, whereas a link from a local bridal gown dress shop could speak to the quality of our business based on actual knowledge and therefore add to our "authority" on the web.

I may be getting all tangled up here.