1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Value of backlinks from same domain (such as facebook)

Hi all,

Suppose my competitor has X number of backlinks and I want my site example.com to catch up with him. One way to get X number of backlinks would be to get X number of people on facebook to write somewhere on their profile / wall etc something like 'I bought a widget from example.com - those guys are awesome and I really recommend them'.

I think that google likes domain diversity so lots of backlinks from the same domain is not good. But on the other hand these backlinks are from different people ie many different people recommending example.com is surely different to and better than just one person recommending example.com, so it seems wrong to say that having 100 recommendations is no better than having 10 recommendations.

So any ideas please how google would evaluate this?

Thanks
  3. the mango demon
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

Are you aware that the Links on Facebook are nofollowed?
    What makes you think matching the number of links with what your competitor has got will help you rank higher or even nearer?

Backlinks, my friend are votes, but those are not votes in a democracy. Those are votes in a Royalty. The soldiers' votes is way less influential than the King's. Every other official falls in between.
    The slaves, for your information are not allowed to vote.
    In my analogy, a soldier is a PR0 relevant page and the King is a PR10 relevant page. The slaves are spam people like you create to influence the voting system. Its only ironic that they can't vote. Or if they do you go to jail rather than getting elected to a position of power.
    Last edited by NewDelhiSEO; Jan 24th, 2013 at 04:11 AM.
    SEO Professionals in NewDelhi It is different. Don't believe me? Go check yourself.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by NewDelhiSEO
    Are you aware that the Links on Facebook are nofollowed?
    OK thanks I didn't realise.

I am not surprised that facebook comment links are nofollow but I am surprised that all facebook links are nofollow. I think google + is better - at least some of their links are dofollow.

What makes you think matching the number of links with what your competitor has got will help you rank higher or even nearer?

Backlinks, my friend are votes, but those are not votes in a democracy. Those are votes in a Royalty...
    (Monarchy not Royalty ) Yes I believe that if my rival who is top of google has 1000 links then I need to aim for 1000 or more links. But I agree that these 1000 links must be good links, not nofollow or rubbish links.

If my rival who is top of google has 1000 links, I think at least some of these must be good links. It is not a coincidence that my rival is top of google and has 1000 links. You are not saying that if my rival who is top of google has 1000 links it is ok for me to think I can beat him with 10 links?
  7. the mango demon
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

Absolutely, you can beat him with 10 links.

...and thanks for understanding. I should have used "Monarchy". Bad vocab
  9. No Profile Picture

Facebook links are no-follow so these links have no value. It only good for SMO.
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by NewDelhiSEO
    Absolutely, you can beat him with 10 links.
    You mean if all or most of his 1000 links are rubbish and my 10 links are high PR??